2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You think MBN has potential to be better than Zuccarello? Think that’s incredibly unlikely.
I think it’s incredibly unlikely he outscores Zuccarello over his career, but MBN has a lot of really good qualities outside scoring that Zuccarello doesn’t. I think he has the potential to be the better overall player. Not saying it’s likely, but he definitely has the potential.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think it’s incredibly unlikely he outscores Zuccarello over his career, but MBN has a lot of really good qualities outside scoring that Zuccarello doesn’t. I think he has the potential to be the better overall player. Not saying it’s likely, but he definitely has the potential.
Ah I’ll be honest I’m pretty down on most of those PWF types so a guy like MBN isn’t really on my radar in the top 15. With that said, he’s absolutely on Grier’s but I think if Jiricek or Eiserman are there at 14 that’s who he takes.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Ah I’ll be honest I’m pretty down on most of those PWF types so a guy like MBN isn’t really on my radar in the top 15. With that said, he’s absolutely on Grier’s but I think if Jiricek or Eiserman are there at 14 that’s who he takes.
We've already gotten a good taste of what Grier likes in a player from last year's draft and his pickups, but due to the insane variance in player type in the top 20, we'll get a really good look at the team he's trying to build in the first two rounds this year. I agree he could go Eiserman or Jiricek at 14, very different picks. If he goes MBN or Sennecke or (God willing) Parekh or Yakemchuk, very different picks again. It'll really be fascinating to see every team's thought process.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If the Pitts pick gets pushed to 2025 b/c they win the lottery, I’d be over the moon b/c that means we get Celibrini. Here’s hoping either we or they win it!
I think Pittsburgh winning and keeping their 4th overall is the scenario I’d prefer but not expecting. I’m expecting three and 14 and that’s still a good scenario to be in for the draft.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He meant Fabian Zetterlund, not Mats Zuccarello. Huge difference between the two.
But that isnt what she meant. At all.

If the Pitts pick gets pushed to 2025 b/c they win the lottery, I’d be over the moon b/c that means we get Celibrini. Here’s hoping either we or they win it!
Not necessarily they could win the 2nd lottery but not the first.

• Wow
Reactions: Sharksfan66

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Watching the NFL makes me realize just how a crapshoot it is past the first 7 or so players. Makes me worried even more for our draft. I hope we'll get lucky again with PIT's pick like we did with Musty.

If I'm a TV analyst for any sport, every year before a draft, I would do a redraft a few years removed from a draft and go over what the experts thoughts at that time vs the teams' picks.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Jul 10, 2010
Boy, I really, really like EJ Emery. I have a funny feeling someone in the 20’s will too, unfortunately, but he’d be the dream at 33.
33+42 to move into the 20s if needed.

Id rather have 3 guys that i really like, then have 2 guys i really like and 2 who i liked in the 2nd round

Reactions: Jargon

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
33+42 to move into the 20s if needed.

Id rather have 3 guys that i really like, then have 2 guys i really like and 2 who i liked in the 2nd round
I don’t know if I’d move up for Emery. Much as I like him, I don’t know if he’s anything more than a useful bottom pairing guy with an attractive archetype. Small chance of becoming Brandon Carlo, a very useful middle pairing guy, is what intrigues me. But there’s other similar defensemen like Elick and Badinka and I have to assume one of the three is likely to last to 33. If they don’t, then some skilled RWs are likely to be available, which we also do need.

I might change my mind on this after Bob’s final list comes out. :laugh:

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I really hope someone ahead of us goes for Trevor Connolly… because if not, he might be BPA at 14.
Even without the character concerns I don't think he profiles like a Grier guy (another slightish build skill LW), and I don't think Grier will be a BPA no matter what guy. But even before that I bet he is the faller this year... He either becomes someone's Musty (if he grows up) or he continues to be a character concern.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think the position of our 1st will really affect the outcome of the Pens pick. Celebrini means that unless someone really fantastic falls, we are almost certainly picking a D-man at 14. On the other hand, if we get Buium or Levshunov, I can definitely see taking an offensive guy at 14 unless again, a really good Dman falls.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Even without the character concerns I don't think he profiles like a Grier guy (another slightish build skill LW), and I don't think Grier will be a BPA no matter what guy. But even before that I bet he is the faller this year... He either becomes someone's Musty (if he grows up) or he continues to be a character concern.
Grier might not be a BPA guy, but he should be.

I think the position of our 1st will really affect the outcome of the Pens pick. Celebrini means that unless someone really fantastic falls, we are almost certainly picking a D-man at 14. On the other hand, if we get Buium or Levshunov, I can definitely see taking an offensive guy at 14 unless again, a really good Dman falls.
Reaching on Jiricek (or someone else) when he isn’t close to the BPA at 14 just because we need a D would be a mistake. If you really don’t want a winger that badly, trade down.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Grier might not be a BPA guy, but he should be.
Even with the character concerns of Connelly?

I think Grier targets players he likes in tiers. If Connolly is available at 14, which is in my opinion likely, I think he evaluates him against the tier of players still available that we all have been talking about (Catton, Iginla, Chernyshov, Sennecke, Greentree, MBN, Helenius, Connolly) and I'd just be really surprised if he picked Connolly over any of those names. Let alone the D vs W question.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Even with the character concerns of Connelly?

I think Grier targets players he likes in tiers. If Connolly is available at 14, which is in my opinion likely, I think he evaluates him against the tier of players still available that we all have been talking about (Catton, Iginla, Chernyshov, Sennecke, Greentree, MBN, Helenius, Connolly) and I'd just be really surprised if he picked Connolly over any of those names. Let alone the D vs W question.
I wouldn’t take Connolly but that’s purely because of the character concerns, not because of the type of player he is. If he didn’t have the character issues, I’d be thrilled to take him 14th. He’s really good and talent-wise belongs with the likes of Catton and Iginla in that tier.

My point is that reaching for a D at 14 would be a mistake. I’m pretty resigned to getting a winger there, which is fine because at this point in our rebuild we need literally everything.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I wouldn’t take Connolly but that’s purely because of the character concerns, not because of the type of player he is. If he didn’t have the character issues, I’d be thrilled to take him 14th. He’s really good and talent-wise belongs with the likes of Catton and Iginla in that tier.

My point is that reaching for a D at 14 would be a mistake. I’m pretty resigned to getting a winger there, which is fine because at this point in our rebuild we need literally everything.
I think what I would want to see is them draft Macklin or one of the 2-13 tier guys (if picking 2nd or 3rd of course) + another 2-13 tier guy if a team reaches for the next tier (so take the guy who drops to 14) or a winger from the next tier + try to trade up from 33 to grab Jiricek.

Jul 10, 2010
cant see GMMG taking Connelly when hes only 161lbs according to eliteprospects.

I know we joke about Grier wanting only big players, but i think theres some truth to that. Especially where his brother is the GM of the Dolphins, i think Grier approaches this like the NFL teams do, where he looks for best player FIT to how he wants the team to play, rather than pure BPA.

And i think we all know Grier wants big bodies who can skate but play the body and wear you down. Theres exceptions for the overly skilled players (see Celebrini, Smith), but most other players are going to be strong strong guys.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If the top-6 D are off the board by 14 (as expected) I wonder if Grier goes for Eiserman or Sennecke/Greentree?

Eiserman fills a need (goal scorer), but also Sennecke/Greentree can do the same (to different extents) while being bigger and fitting Griers mold more.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
cant see GMMG taking Connelly when hes only 161lbs according to eliteprospects.

I know we joke about Grier wanting only big players, but i think theres some truth to that. Especially where his brother is the GM of the Dolphins, i think Grier approaches this like the NFL teams do, where he looks for best player FIT to how he wants the team to play, rather than pure BPA.

And i think we all know Grier wants big bodies who can skate but play the body and wear you down. Theres exceptions for the overly skilled players (see Celebrini, Smith), but most other players are going to be strong strong guys.
I’m not advocating for taking Connolly on account of his off-ice issues, but you don’t pass on a 6’1” 17 year old because he’s a little underweight. And he’s absolutely as skilled as Smith.

• Haha
Reactions: willsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad