Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Any Bills optimists in here to explain to me how they overcome the Chiefs?
I think getting substantially younger will help. I don't think it's coincidence that in recent years they've beaten the Chiefs in the regular season just to run out of gas and/or be way too injured by playoff team. Those things happen when you have an ancient roster. You can debate if we're "better," but we're now younger at: IOL, WR, RB, DT, DE, CB, and S.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Super duper crazy theory. Bills already have a post June 1 trade done.

For a WR

In exchange for draft picks

From a cap strapped team

A player who maybe no longer fits the timeline, or the coaching staff there

Who will be a true X

While Keon will be a big slot

Any guesses who I’m thinking of?
listen to Beane's presser @ above about 23 min, Nothing now for sure, "maybe" after June 1 ? They need pass rush imo as well.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Super duper crazy theory. Bills already have a post June 1 trade done.

For a WR

In exchange for draft picks

From a cap strapped team

A player who maybe no longer fits the timeline, or the coaching staff there

Who will be a true X

While Keon will be a big slot

Any guesses who I’m thinking of?
Evans and Metcalf are the only true X's on particularly cap strapped teams, and Evans just re-signed and Metcalf is looking for a monster deal. Drake London is a true X on a cap strapped team but they're not trading him (nor would it save them money).

FWIW, believe him or not, Beane says (1) they drafted Coleman to be an X and that's where he will play; and (2) they're not making any significant trades. Any further additions will be minor.

Reactions: Zman5778

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think getting substantially younger will help. I don't think it's coincidence that in recent years they've beaten the Chiefs in the regular season just to run out of gas and/or be way too injured by playoff team. Those things happen when you have an ancient roster. You can debate if we're "better," but we're now younger at: IOL, WR, RB, DT, DE, CB, and S.
We also just need the bounces to go our way for once. Sometimes with closely matched teams that's what it comes down to. Even with 13 seconds, coin toss lands the opposite way and we probably still win that game.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Evans and Metcalf are the only true X's on particularly cap strapped teams, and Evans just re-signed and Metcalf is looking for a monster deal. Drake London is a true X on a cap strapped team but they're not trading him (nor would it save them money).

FWIW, believe him or not, Beane says (1) they drafted Coleman to be an X and that's where he will play; and (2) they're not making any significant trades. Any further additions will be minor.
The x that comes to mind when I hear about this plan is the price is right one

Reactions: Zman5778 and Husko

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
listen to Beane's presser @ above about 23 min, Nothing now for sure, "maybe" after June 1 ? They need pass rush imo as well.
I don't know whose roster spot any pass rush help would be at the expense of, though. Rousseau and Von aren't going anywhere, they just re-signed Epenesa and signed Toohill (5 sacks last year), and drafted a DE. And have Kingsley who they like. I guess Toohill could be cut, but I think they like him. He's the Floyd replacement, IMO.

Reactions: Zman5778

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Anyway the Bills have the quarterback they need to be in the Super Bowl conversation if they go on a heater. They aren’t good enough to be a favorite or win if they aren’t at their best

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don't know whose roster spot any pass rush help would be at the expense of, though. Rousseau and Von aren't going anywhere, they just re-signed Epenesa and signed Toohill (5 sacks last year), and drafted a DE. And have Kingsley who they like. I guess Toohill could be cut, but I think they like him. He's the Floyd replacement, IMO.
And unless Solomon gets hurt and goes on IR, he's making the squad as he isn't going to pass through to the PS.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think Leonard Flloyd is a good example of a kind of player that we've had too many of lately. Looks like he was a smashing success, right? 10 sacks! But consider, after our bye including the playoffs:

-7 games
-1 sack (the Dallas romping)
-1 TFL (same play as the sack)
-3 QB hits
-He didn't record a stat during the Chiefs loss in the playoffs

We've had such little ascending youth lately, in some cases because they've been blocked by old vets in the way. Look at the way the Chiefs have kids step up in the playoffs meanwhile we have old guys running out of gas.

Youth movement. That's the #1 thing this team needs.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Old players now off the team that arguably could be addition by subtraction, especially by end of the season (even if there are early growing pains)
  • Diggs - > Coleman: Obviously this is the most controversial, but Diggs production fell off a cliff by end of the season. Maybe some of it was him getting old and playing too many games (lots of playoff runs!). By playoff time Coleman should be our #1. Maybe that'll be good for us
  • Morse -> Edwards: It's weird to think of Edwards as young, but he's only 27! Morse is now 32. I thought he was still playing well, and not having his brain will hurt big time. But I wonder if a film review might hint at some signs of aging int he playoffs from him.
  • Lat - > Davis: Not having a black hole when they pull Cook off the field in pass pro will be nice.
  • Floyd -> Toohill and Solomon: Maybe one of them would manage to record a stat in the divisional round against Mahomes
  • All the old DTs - > Carter: Very glad we moved on from that crew.
  • White - > Elam: Maybe not banking on White actually playing this year will give Elam the space and reps he needs to take a step
  • Hyde and Poyer - > Edwards and Bishop: I think Hyde and Poyer were subtly a huge problem the last couple of seasons, especially in the playoffs. They know their shit, but losing a step at safety is such a liability. There will be huge growing pains here, but it's where I'm most excited about getting younger.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
We also just need the bounces to go our way for once. Sometimes with closely matched teams that's what it comes down to. Even with 13 seconds, coin toss lands the opposite way and we probably still win that game.
Yup. My answer is "win a coin flip game"

Basically the last 4 meetings with the Chiefs came down to a play here or there (or flat out an actual coin flip). We won the two regular season games, we lost the two playoff games. Typical dumb Buffalo sports luck.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
This year is obviously the most unknowns they've had going into a season in quite awhile. It might take some time for them to figure things out. But I think McDermott is a hell of a coach, he's consistently had Miami's number defensively as much as if not more than Allen has had it offensively, and I have faith that even if things start a little rocky that they'll figure it out and have as good a chance as anyone come playoff time.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
Broeker was a college LT.

I think IOL has a decent day 3 hit rate. Functional tackle play is near-impossible to find outside of the highest rounds. That's specifically the position I don't think the dart throws are worth it.

More precisely, I think it's a particularly ill-suited position for trying the draft - > PS route, because it's in such high demand around the league that if the player shows an iota of potential, they're going to get snatched up by another team. Although guards, 3 linemen we've drafted finding success elsewhere after we couldn't fit them in here just reenforces that point for me, rather than reassuring me we should keep doing it.

Put it this way: the bills have used 5 picks outside the top 150 on offensive lineman. How many would you call success stories for the Bills?
"Broeker was a college LT."

And everyone had him projected as a guard.

"Functional tackle play is near-impossible to find outside of the highest rounds. That's specifically the position I don't think the dart throws are worth it."

Based on what? You're just kinda saying stuff without anything backing it up.

"Although guards, 3 linemen we've drafted finding success elsewhere after we couldn't fit them in here just reenforces that point for me"

That's how day 3 picks are... majority of our WRs drafted late have been claimed by other teams. Same with DBs.

"Put it this way: the bills have used 5 picks outside the top 150 on offensive lineman. How many would you call success stories for the Bills?"

We've had only 2 not get claimed by other teams. One was Teller who started. The other Doyle who is still a backup & caught a TD in the playoffs.

Do the same thing with WRs. We've had 4 picks outside the top 150. How many would you call success stories for the Bills?

That's the thing. They're day 3 picks. Just seems like an odd thing to complain about.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think younger is the answer. Need guys to make an impact though.

Reactions: Tatanka

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Any Bills optimists in here to explain to me how they overcome the Chiefs?
I think they match up better tbh. More balance and better depth. I liked the MLB battle and I think that allowed other guys to step up in a time of need. I think having players that are elite athletes as opposed to older vets using their instincts may also benefit (it'll probably hurt) but imagine Bishop coming across the end zone on a Mahomes touch pass in the end zone to Kelce in the divisional game to get an interception instead of Poyer just watching it or Coleman coming down with a contested catch that Diggs dropped. I think there will be growing pains but with Josh at QB and McD/ Babich running the D, I think they can overcome it and be something.

Bengals still worry me until we can figure out Burrow

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
"Broeker was a college LT."

And everyone had him projected as a guard.

"Functional tackle play is near-impossible to find outside of the highest rounds. That's specifically the position I don't think the dart throws are worth it."

Based on what? You're just kinda saying stuff without anything backing it up.

"Although guards, 3 linemen we've drafted finding success elsewhere after we couldn't fit them in here just reenforces that point for me"

That's how day 3 picks are... majority of our WRs drafted late have been claimed by other teams. Same with DBs.

"Put it this way: the bills have used 5 picks outside the top 150 on offensive lineman. How many would you call success stories for the Bills?"

We've had only 2 not get claimed by other teams. One was Teller who started. The other Doyle who is still a backup & caught a TD in the playoffs.

Do the same thing with WRs. We've had 4 picks outside the top 150. How many would you call success stories for the Bills?

That's the thing. They're day 3 picks. Just seems like an odd thing to complain about.
What’s more odd, me being mildly annoyed at how they spent a late 6th and 7th round pick, while otherwise being complimentary of the draft, or you going this hard to invalidate my annoyance?

And as I’ve since said, Clayton being eligible for the pathways exemption completely changes the calculus of the pick. All for it knowing he won’t be eligible to be stolen like other PS designees. No threat of losing him like most of the other lineman we’ve tried stashing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I didn't really want Coleman. But, I trust in GMBB and think it'll end up being fine.
Presser was solid. Good character guy with a fun personality to get some great quotes from. Wondering if they could have traded down further and still snag him if he was their guy.

I do like that he looks good on a scramble drill. His quote was something like, the scramble drill when the QB is running for their life IS a drill and IS a play you practice. Sounds like he has a knack for that. Keeping plays alive and Josh getting a connection with this guy sounds intriguing.

Also a pretty big difference with someone who is still 20, compared to a few others that are already 22-23. God willing his second contract he's only going to be 23-24.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I never evaluated him off his dad, and even guys like Brugler had him rated way higher than a 7th.

Teams have access to interviews, and talk to people around the team. Brugler doesn’t really have that access. And fans don’t have that access at all.

If teams didn’t like his attitude, then that makes sense.

Wasn't trying to attach you to this. But I think that the more I see on social media in the hours since the pick, the more it seems like he's a guy who decided not to engage in camps and programs that would better his skills.

Again, did not mean to attach you to this at all. The more I look at his online presence, though, the more this makes sense. Guy said he was a GOAT when he was 17. Unusual behavior.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad