Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Still hoping we draft a C
Beane has the potential to fill so many holes today. Having two second round picks + having the ammo to move up swiftly is going to make tonight incredibly fun.

Give me three of the following positions in the top-90- WR, C, S, or and/or DE. Cooper intrigues me with pick 33. He seems to have some hame breaking ability from what I've read and has experience playing safety.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

Hate fun...lol. These Bills Twitter hot take artists are our of control.

Plenty of fun in this reel

Also from The Beast, he could be a gadget guy on the side. "...does fun things with the ball in his hands — returned three of his seven career interceptions for touchdowns and saw a handful of offensive snaps in 2023 (and was poised for more before his injury)"

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
They can't get out of it until at least year, and even then it's with a 25 million dead cap hit. Even if all goes well with Penix's development, this completely kills the rookie QB contract advantage.

Also, not for nothing, Penix is already 24 years old. He'll be 26-28 when he starts getting first team reps I guess?
I strongly wonder if Cousins achilles tendon injury could secretly be career-ending / retirement.

Take DeJean @ 33. Package Elam and a pick to move back up to get either McConkey, Coleman, or the kid from Oregon.

Works for me.
Interesting. I'm not necessarily opposed.

plus Beane told everyone before the draft they’re taking a WR with every pick probably should have been a clue we won’t go WR.
From Star Trek (the original series) episode, "let that be your last battlefield"...

Picture Lokai and Bele (right and left, respectively, but it doesn't really matter) instead in Buffalo Bills blue and white halves instead of the black and white makeup. One is Ace and the other Brandon Beane.

1714150550093.jpeg

[Kirk]
"Gentleman, you are both ardent Bills fans, each one-half Bills blue, and the other half white. Why do you quarrel?"
[Ace] "But Beane is Bills blue on his left side - and won't draft a wide receiver. I on the other hand, am Bills blue on my right side - and must draft a wide receiver. Beane is clearly inferior, as are all his people."
[Kirk] "I fail to see the difference."

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I strongly wonder if Cousins achilles tendon injury could secretly be career-ending / retirement.
If that is the case, then why on earth did they sign him to a big money, multi-year contract after he was injured with the Vikings?

I seriously doubt that is the case. Especially given that they talked to Cousins while they were on the clock and told him who they were taking.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I still don’t love the idea of drafting a DB this high, but if you must, DeJean is the type you should draft. Adding another pure playmaker to Bernard and Milano is enticing.

Plenty of WRs to be had over the next three rounds. But some of these higher floor guys aren’t going to last much longer.

Plenty of interior offensive linemen to be had over the next two rounds, never a bad time to grab one.

And I know fans would freak, but don’t be surprised at a day two RB. Bills are going to run the ball quite a bit, and use them in the pass game plenty. If trey Benson is sitting there at the end of the second, Bills might pull the trigger.

And with all these options available throughout rounds 2-4, one more trade down may be In the cards

Reactions: Husko

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

Also from The Beast, he could be a gadget guy on the side. "...does fun things with the ball in his hands — returned three of his seven career interceptions for touchdowns and saw a handful of offensive snaps in 2023 (and was poised for more before his injury)"

Man. I kinda want this guy now lol.

If we grab him and also move up into the 40s for a solid WR (Ladd or Mitchell still there?). Then i'm fine with it. Poor Ace will loose his shit, if he hasn't already.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
As long as Cousin's contract is easy to get out of towards the backend of it, I think what they did was smart and good long term planning.
except that Penix is already 24 years old. I can’t imagine them letting him sit as the backup until he’s 27 (in year 3 when cousins contract becomes easier to move on from).

If Penix was 21 it would’ve made more sense.

I’d think with him already being 24, they’d want to start him ASAP.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Man. I kinda want this guy now lol.

If we grab him and also move up into the 40s for a solid WR (Ladd or Mitchell still there?). Then i'm fine with it. Poor Ace will loose his shit, if he hasn't already.
He's kind of a unicorn. 21yo DB with great size and size-adjusted speed/agility. Elite ball skills, elite smarts, very rare versatility, elite returner. Excellent leader and team-first guy. Kind of a hybrid of Hyde and Poyer, hard to find a better fit.

I honestly think he's being overlooked partially because of what he looks like. I see a fan-favorite future All-Pro would could be a captain by year two.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He's kind of a unicorn. 21yo DB with great size and size-adjusted speed/agility. Elite ball skills, elite smarts, very rare versatility, elite returner. Excellent leader and team-first guy. Kind of a hybrid of Hyde and Poyer, hard to find a better fit.

I honestly think he's being overlooked partially because of what he looks like. I see a fan-favorite future All-Pro would could be a captain by year two.
I think the big thing is that he is a CB who might project to safety. He has not played safety hardly at all at Iowa.

It would not shock me at all if that was how it went down.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

I’ve seen a lot of Bills fans saying they don’t want him and/or are scared Beane will pick him but I didn’t know why. I assumed because he was a CB. Now that I’ve learned more about him, I think he would be a great pick for Buffalo. Seems like he’d fit McDermott’s defense like a glove, would offer tons of versatility, allow McD to disguise coverages and could also be a weapon on kickoff returns with the new rules. Heck, he could probably even take snaps at WR! lol

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Just have him play WR too. WR/CB/S/Return Man/Gunner. Every snap. That's value baby.

Reactions: Selanne00008

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Just have him play WR too. WR/CB/S/Return Man/Gunner. Every snap. That's value baby.
I mean, he's just as electric with the ball in his hands as McConkey so...
A lot of Dejean’s highlights won’t be replicated on Sundays, but his vision and ability to see the field looks really good. McBeane may covet that.
Curious what makes you say that? I see plenty of interceptions on routes getting jumped and overthrows on Sundays. He ran a 4.44 so it's not like he'll be getting chased down on returns often.

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007

I like that plan.

Washington is interesting to me if they want to trade back again. Something like 33, 95, and 128 for 36 and 67. They'll still get a really good player at 36. Plus, they'll have 2 picks in the late second/early third range, and tons of ammo if they want to move up to get guys dropping in the second.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
You guys are starting to sway me on Dejean with 33. Nothing wrong with building strength on strength and we've seen how devastating CB injuries can be if you don't have depth.

I just don't know that I can handle an entire summer of bIlLz mAfIa idiots posting on Twitter and Reddit about how Allen has had no support from the FO and compare that to the Chiefs and Bengals situations. It's the most asinine "take" that the dregs of our fanbase push.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think the big thing is that he is a CB who might project to safety. He has not played safety hardly at all at Iowa.

It would not shock me at all if that was how it went down.

About 25% of his snaps came in the middle of the field, either at safety, slot, or what PFF calls "DLine," which I assume means he's in a blitzing DB position. There's some projection for sure, but ~300 snaps is enough to get a feel for how he looks there.

As for what Nolan says, I suppose it's possible, but idk why Beane would lie so strongly, saying he never even tried to move up. I think he's been candid about it in the past when he's tried to move either way.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Doubt he plays offence in the NFL, TBH. But he'd also be an absolute weapon in the return game which teams are going to be forced to take seriously this year & perhaps beyond...

Reactions: HOOats

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
About 25% of his snaps came in the middle of the field, either at safety, slot, or what PFF calls "DLine," which I assume means he's in a blitzing DB position. There's some projection for sure, but ~300 snaps is enough to get a feel for how he looks there.

As for what Nolan says, I suppose it's possible, but idk why Beane would lie so strongly, saying he never even tried to move up. I think he's been candid about it in the past when he's tried to move either way.
Capture.PNG

If you figure Slot & Corner as CB reps, that's 89% at CB and 11% at S.

And as far as Bruce's take goes, Beane did say specifically that he did not want to give up his 2 (60) to move up. So, my guess is that a team or teams that wanted to move back and get their 2nd rounder called and Beane wasn't interested.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I’ve seen a lot of Bills fans saying they don’t want him and/or are scared Beane will pick him but I didn’t know why. I assumed because he was a CB. Now that I’ve learned more about him, I think he would be a great pick for Buffalo. Seems like he’d fit McDermott’s defense like a glove, would offer tons of versatility, allow McD to disguise coverages and could also be a weapon on kickoff returns with the new rules. Heck, he could probably even take snaps at WR! lol
He has 'CB' next to his name in most guides. He's also white. I hate to say that, it it's probably enough reason for most to not want him. Casual fans particularly.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
View attachment 859995

If you figure Slot & Corner as CB reps, that's 89% at CB and 11% at S.
Personally, I consider slot significantly more akin to safety than cornerback, especially in our defense.

In Iowa, they have the STAR position, which rotates between slot, safety, blitzer, etc. That's where DeJean was playing when he wasn't split out wide.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Personally, I consider slot significantly more akin to safety than cornerback, especially in our defense.

In Iowa, they have the STAR position, which rotates between slot, safety, blitzer, etc. That's where DeJean was playing when he wasn't split out wide.
I'd also say that slot is more akin to playing safety - but even playing outside in such a zone heavy scheme would align more with switching to safety than anything else.

Does anyone know what eg Brian Branch or Trent McDuffie's breakdown was in their college career? He strikes me as sonewhere between those guys & Kyle Hamilton in terms of how he might be used in the NFL...

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Beane plan. Give 33 have 49ers retain for samuel 2. Then restructure josh and sign the newly mature obj and no hobbit girlfriends allowed sign gets installed on property. Large aszez can be cured w anti parasite medication. Mutations cant be cured. Hopefully there's a test. We already lost to swifty witch , hopefully no more black magic and crowley perversion. Leave them kids alone.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I mean, he's just as electric with the ball in his hands as McConkey so...

Curious what makes you say that? I see plenty of interceptions on routes getting jumped and overthrows on Sundays. He ran a 4.44 so it's not like he'll be getting chased down on returns often.
NFL-caliber QBs won't make as many of those throws and NFL-caliber WRs will not allow as many of those routes to be jumped, even with poor ball placement.

Don't misinterpret my remarks to infer he's not a great talent and viable for the Bills. HIs versatility is exactly what Beane / McDermott want from ~3 of the 7 off-line positions in their 4-2-5 alignment. the special teams is the cherry on top. Neither surprise nor disappointment if the Bills picked him.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
NFL-caliber QBs won't make as many of those throws and NFL-caliber WRs will not allow as many of those routes to be jumped, even with poor ball placement.

Don't misinterpret my remarks to infer he's not a great talent and viable for the Bills. HIs versatility is exactly what Beane / McDermott want from ~3 of the 7 off-line positions in their 4-2-5 alignment. the special teams is the cherry on top. Neither surprise nor disappointment if the Bills picked him.
I hear ya for sure. I just think that could be said about every college CB's tape if you took a close look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad