Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
My prediction is Cooper DeJean and I never see Josh Allen throw a TD again.

My preference was a trade down but I hate that there are several viable non-WR options fro Beane.

Honestly, though, I am concerned that the organization has blinders at the WR position. They've invested heavily at RB for some reason but have invested one day one or two pick at WR since Beane took over (Diggs). I don't get it.

It's because they had Diggs. And they traded a first for Diggs so that's not blinded.

We'll get our receiver.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Absolute master class of how to GM in the NFL displayed by Beane last night.

Trades down from 28 and picks up the 3rd round pick he was missing. He lost the ability to draft Worthy, Pearsall, Guyton, and Wiggins in the process. Not a big deal, because at that time, Legette and the receivers still on the board were there. Plus, safety was not a need for any of those teams. Beane didn't fleece KC but got the value he should've received.

Trades down from 32 to 33 and gets a good deal from Carolina. He gives up the 5th year option but gains nearly 24 hours to sit on the 33rd pick. Now his staff can reset the draft boards. 31 other teams are going to reset their draft boards as well and see that they might have a player is available who they never thought would make it to 33. So teams might be willing to go above what the trade value chart prescribes to get a pick.

And, he's sitting on a draft board with a bunch of players the Bills could use. Players who I think are first round grade players:

DeJean 1
Newton 1
Mitchell 1-
JPJ 1-
McConkey 1-

If we talked two days ago that Beane would have that choice at 28, everyone would be happy. And Beane gets to make this choice at 33 and got his 3rd back.

Very well executed trade-dwon strategy by Beane and the Bills.
Beane clearly doesn't think any of those players have first round grades since he basically came out and said they were all gone before getting even to trade-up territory. I don't think they even had 20 of them this year...obviously he thinks it's a weak first round and a strong 2nd to 5th.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Beane clearly doesn't think any of those players have first round grades since he basically came out and said they were all gone before getting even to trade-up territory. I don't think they even had 20 of them this year...obviously he thinks it's a weak first round and a strong 2nd to 5th.
That's just my thoughts. Beane has a full scouting room, and he drives his team. His logic works and so does mine, but for different reasons.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Good news everyone I just won the draft:

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 12.00.40 PM.png

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So, Beane could realistically trade down from 33 but unless he gets a sweetheart deal, I'd stay put and take DeJean. Sure, he doesn't have safety reps at Iowa, but moving from cornerback to safety in a zone scheme isn't a big deal. Henry Jones was a zone CB at Illinois and it's an easy transition.

Going into that choice, Beane has to know what he wants at receiver. He's going to lose his shot at McConkey and Mitchell. 60 and 120 get the Bills to pick 48. Is that high enough for Franklin?

Then Beane can play around with his 4 5th round picks and see if he can get back into the 3rd.

Or does Beane think a receiver like Walker will fill the need? In that case, he can stay put at 60 and pick BPA, or trade down from 60 and take Walker.

If he trades out of 60 and gets to around 70, he'd add a high 4th. That would position him really well to try to get back into the 3rd again and get 3 3rd round picks out of day 2.

Lots and lots of options.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
That's just my thoughts. Beane has a full scouting room, and he drives his team. His logic works and so does mine, but for different reasons.
Yeah you both came to the same conclusion. And “first round grade” is basically just semantics anyway since you still both might have the same draft order.

Makes for an exciting day two, I’m happy he’s confident in what’s still available.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So, Beane could realistically trade down from 33 but unless he gets a sweetheart deal, I'd stay put and take DeJean. Sure, he doesn't have safety reps at Iowa, but moving from cornerback to safety in a zone scheme isn't a big deal. Henry Jones was a zone CB at Illinois and it's an easy transition.

Going into that choice, Beane has to know what he wants at receiver. He's going to lose his shot at McConkey and Mitchell. 60 and 120 get the Bills to pick 48. Is that high enough for Franklin?

Then Beane can play around with his 4 5th round picks and see if he can get back into the 3rd.

Or does Beane think a receiver like Walker will fill the need? In that case, he can stay put at 60 and pick BPA, or trade down from 60 and take Walker.

If he trades out of 60 and gets to around 70, he'd add a high 4th. That would position him really well to try to get back into the 3rd again and get 3 3rd round picks out of day 2.

He has some. 112 snaps at SS. Also 168 snaps in the slot, which is a lot more like playing safety than playing CB.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019

McDermott also has a nice history of getting the most out of his secondary.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I get a lot of joy out of every pundit saying we need a WR and we need to trade up for one then it blowing up in their face so many times and now they are scrambling to bash us.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I want DeJean badly. He's one of one. And I'm confident that McBeane agree. Him with Taron, Milano, and Bernard would create the most unique modern defensive core.

Very happy with the trades down. Solid business that will leave us with a ton of flexibility to move around and get ~8 guys that we really like.

But I'm left stunned at the widespread cognitive dissonance and instant gratification culture that so many Bills fans showed last night. Like it's "never look at your neighbor quite the same way" levels of overreaction and failed comprehension. Truly scary stuff that these people get to vote, etc.

Brian Griffin style reply binge!
Rest of the draft mock

33. DB Cooper DeJean
52. WR Ladd McConkey (trade with LAR)
95. RB Braelon Allen
133. EDGE Mohamed Komara
144. WR Luke McCaffrey
163. DL Khristian Boyd
221. CB Qwantez Stiggers
Love it except for Ladd. I've basically moved him to my DND with Coleman. I don't see the fit, the durability, or the production to pick a guy like that before the 3rd round. But we NEED to come away with McCaffrey imo. Potential home run in the 5th.
I didn’t know that I enjoyed Jeremy White meltdowns so much. Never really got over the tank stupidity, I suppose.
I like Jeremy, know him in person, but this whole "WR Train" ordeal has been embarrassing for him. He whipped a bunch of bored people into an overdone fervor, lost control of it, and now has to continue to play into the whole thing and look foolish.
Washington has 36 and 40. I wonder if 33+60+Day 3 ammo can get us there.
A single team won't want something like four 5ths even if the chart math works, but moving up incrementally with a few trades could work. I'm also open to using 2025 BUF 2nd+ to add a Day 2 pick today. It would be great to make four picks today, would go a long way towards forming this next core.
My prediction is Cooper DeJean and I never see Josh Allen throw a TD again.

My preference was a trade down but I hate that there are several viable non-WR options fro Beane.

Honestly, though, I am concerned that the organization has blinders at the WR position. They've invested heavily at RB for some reason but have invested one day one or two pick at WR since Beane took over (Diggs). I don't get it.
Average WRs can be made functional, even great, through elite QB play. I don't blame our brain trust at all for watching Shakir outplay Diggs last year and thinking that Josh can elevate less heralded but talented guys.

They value a deeper roster in the areas that Allen can't sprinkle with his magic influence.
2 Disclaimers:

I don't pay attention to NFL prospects
I'm primarily a 49ers fan

So don't take this too seriously:

Beane's drafts post-2018 don't seem to have yielded many (any?) impact players.

Cook made the pro bowl, but was frustrating to watch as he would drop key passes in clutch moments. Bernard *might* be trending this direction. Ditto Kinkaid, both are TBDs.

Oliver, Knox, Espenesa, Rousseau, Brown, Torrence, are quality guys to fill the roster.

Elam, Basham, Moss, Ford, Singletary...a lot of underwhelming return.

The Chiefs have multiple impact players, from their secondary, to the big 3 of Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones. The Bills had Allen, Diggs, Miller in theory, but now one is gone, and another is no longer an impact player.

This is partly why, as an idiot, I wanted to see a big top 10 move up trade for a WR. To get some notable impact. It's why they aren't the current dynasty.
Bernard and Kincaid are sure-fire future 80th percentile guys at their positions, probably by this season.

Torrence, Oliver, and Rousseau are very strong starters. So is Cook. Brown is trending the same way, as is Shakir.

Knox and Epenesa have been serviceable soldiers.

Benford is one of the best 6th rounders in the last decade.

The drafting has been absolutely fine.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He has some. 112 snaps at SS. Also 168 snaps in the slot, which is a lot more like playing safety than playing CB.
Wasn't there just a chart posted where DeJean had more reps at RB than S? Maybe I read that wrong.
McDermott also has a nice history of getting the most out of his secondary.
True. But they have picked White and Elam high. I wouldn't rule out Cole Bishop at 60 if Beane goes receiver at 33.
I get a lot of joy out of every pundit saying we need a WR and we need to trade up for one then it blowing up in their face so many times and now they are scrambling to bash us.
I know I probably read like a broken record for a few months telling people to stop insisting on a receiver at 28, or trading up for a receiver. But I did that for a reason.

If Beane makes these trades when his target was McConkey or Mitchell the whole time, then it just shows how absolutely uninformed pundits and fans are when it comes to the draft.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Wasn't there just a chart posted where DeJean had more reps at RB than S? Maybe I read that wrong.

True. But they have picked White and Elam high. I wouldn't rule out Cole Bishop at 60 if Beane goes receiver at 33.

I know I probably read like a broken record for a few months telling people to stop insisting on a receiver at 28, or trading up for a receiver. But I did that for a reason.

If Beane makes these trades when his target was McConkey or Mitchell the whole time, then it just shows how absolutely uninformed pundits and fans are when it comes to the draft.
I posted it mocking sneaky joe, who doesn't seem to know that BOX means SS. (or he does know and he intentionally obfuscated when he wrote "safety" instead of "deep" when translating the PFF numbers)

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I posted it mocking sneaky joe, who doesn't seem to know that BOX means SS. (or he does know and he intentionally obfuscated when he wrote "safety" instead of "deep" when translating the PFF numbers)
Those plays were when he was sparring with his coach on the sideline actually

Reactions: billsandsabres

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad