Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It's going to be a blast when they select Coleman. The only guy here that's not really been debated, the one guy everyone seems to not want. :laugh:

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Hoping for DeJean in the first. One of the most unique prospects in years imo. Doubtful he gets past GB though.

BTJ or Worthy is my other preference, fine with trading up a few spots for either or CDJ.
Man, my internal Ladd McConkey hype is growing. Seems like a BBB guy. He's 7-11 man. Or We Never Close for the Elmwood OGs. Just exactly what the Josh uses. Don't need a #1 if everybody is open all the time. I don't know when I got here, maybe it's the holistic draft research/team building experience culminating in one emergent thought:
who gets open more than anybody else?
It's funny, I feel the exact opposite about him. Nice player, I just don't see dynamic ability that will be worth such an investment once he's not playing on a stacked team. He's pretty slight, I feel like he's going to get smashed in the NFL.

Was just talking to someone about him vs Luke McCaffrey and how difficult it is to articulate why one is projected as a borderline 1st and one is a 5th. I'm more comfortable with the relative cost of McCaffrey than McConkey.

And honestly, McCaffrey is my best guess at who could be this year's Puka day three star. Same size, faster, MASSIVE production. Same quotes about "tough and smart, good routes and hands, but maybe a tweener guy between slot and wide." Only played two years at WR after switching from QB, so still some runway to develop. Seems like a guy Josh would LOVE and help to develop. Can't deny the bloodlines. I'm really hoping we snag him with one of our 4ths or 5ths.

EDIT: But as an Elmwood native, love the We Never Close shoutout.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I present to you our final 2024 HF Bills Big Board!

1. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State (88%)
2. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU (83%)
3. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington (100%)
4. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame (38%)
4. Dallas Turner, DE, Alabama (38%)
6. Olu Fashanu, OT, Penn State (40%)
6. Laiatu Latu, DE, UCLA (40%)
8. Brian Thomas Junior, WR, LSU (40%)
9. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon (40%)
9. Jared Verse, DE, Florida State (40%)
11. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia (50%)
12. Cooper Dejean, DB, Iowa (50%)
13. Byron Murphy, DT, Texas (40%)
14. Taliese Fuaga, OL, Oregon (25%)
14. JC Latham, OT, Alabama (25%)
14. Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama (25%)
14. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo (25%)
18. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas (75%)
19. Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois (40%)
20. Ladd McConkey, WR Georgia (50%)
21. Troy Fautanu, OL, Washington (60%)
22. Graham Barton, OL, Duke (100%)
23. Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina (50%)
23. Chop Robinson, DE, Penn State (50%)
25. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia (50%)
26. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia (50%)
26. Jordan Morgan, OL, Arizona (50%)
26. Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma (50%)
29. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama (67%)
30. Darius Robinson, DE, Missouri (50%)
31. Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State (33%)
31. Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon (33%)

33. Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan (75%)
34. Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas (50%)
34. Jalynn Polk, WR, Washington (50%)
36. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida (67%)
36. Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson (67%)
38. TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa (100%)
39. Patrick Paul, OL, Houston (50%)
40. Marshawn Kneeland, DE,Western Michigan (0%)

Thank you to everyone who participated!

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Hoping for DeJean in the first. One of the most unique prospects in years imo. Doubtful he gets past GB though.

BTJ or Worthy is my other preference, fine with trading up a few spots for either or CDJ.

It's funny, I feel the exact opposite about him. Nice player, I just don't see dynamic ability that will be worth such an investment once he's not playing on a stacked team. He's pretty slight, I feel like he's going to get smashed in the NFL.

Was just talking to someone about him vs Luke McCaffrey and how difficult it is to articulate why one is projected as a borderline 1st and one is a 5th. I'm more comfortable with the relative cost of McCaffrey than McConkey.

And honestly, McCaffrey is my best guess at who could be this year's Puka day three star. Same size, faster, MASSIVE production. Same quotes about "tough and smart, good routes and hands, but maybe a tweener guy between slot and wide." Only played two years at WR after switching from QB, so still some runway to develop. Can't deny the bloodlines. I'm really hoping we snag him with one of our 4ths or 5ths.
Well, one of them has elite speed and agility, played outside against the best defenses in college football, and broke out his second year playing.

The other has good speed and average agility, played in the slot against defenders that won't get drafted, and broke out as a 4th year senior but shares a name with an elite nfl player.

I do really like McCaffrey as a day 3 dart throw. But he and McConkey aren't in the same stratosphere. Does 1000 yards as a super senior in the AAC really count as massive production?

Reactions: truthbluth

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

And honestly, McCaffrey is my best guess at who could be this year's Puka day three star. Same size, faster, MASSIVE production. Same quotes about "tough and smart, good routes and hands, but maybe a tweener guy between slot and wide." Only played two years at WR after switching from QB, so still some runway to develop. Seems like a guy Josh would LOVE and help to develop. Can't deny the bloodlines. I'm really hoping we snag him with one of our 4ths or 5ths.

Right off the bat, McConkey is probably the best separator in the class, while McCaffrey had a pretty high contested catch rate. McConkey played against basically the best competition possible, while McCaffrey lit up Florida Atlantic and Uconn. I mean, there is a pretty dn big gap.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Trading up for CDJ... That might destroy Bills media / mainstream fans. I'd love it!

There seems to be buzz around CDJ & Seattle. He's only had official visits with Seattle, Pittsburgh, Philly & Buffalo. I know it's not the end all be all, but for a guy who's been injured, a guy who might be a questionable fit for many teams, a guy who nobody generally knows or agrees where he plays best... I think it matters. I don't see Pittsburgh taking anyone that isn't OL & Philly never draft corners/DBs early. They'll either trade up for DL or draft a more conventional CB, IMO.

Reactions: HOOats

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
My last mock draft effort. Again, I think it's Legette, DeJean, or trade down at 28.

Trades:
60 to Detroit for 61 and 249
61 and 249 to Atlanta for 74 and 109
109, 128, and 163 to Arizona for 90
133 and 144 to Arizona for 111

28: Cooper DeJean DB Iowa
74: Devontez Walker WR North Carolina
90: T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas
111: Brendan Rice WR USC
160: MJ Devonshire CB Pittsburgh
200: Myles Cole DE Texas Tech
204: Sione Vaki S Utah
248: Jordan Magee LB Temple

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Man, my internal Ladd McConkey hype is growing. Seems like a BBB guy. He's 7-11 man. Or We Never Close for the Elmwood OGs. Just exactly what the Josh uses. Don't need a #1 if everybody is open all the time. I don't know when I got here, maybe it's the holistic draft research/team building experience culminating in one emergent thought:
I really, really like everything I’m seeing on this kid’s highlight reel. Now I hope we just stand pat with our early picks and grab him.

Reactions: truthbluth

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Well, one of them has elite speed and agility, played outside against the best defenses in college football, and broke out his second year playing.

The other has good speed and average agility, played in the slot against defenders that won't get drafted, and broke out as a 4th year senior but shares a name with an elite nfl player.

I do really like McCaffrey as a day 3 dart throw. But he and McConkey aren't in the same stratosphere.
First, I appreciate your posts and all the Bills thread regulars'. I didn't say they were in the same stratosphere of course, just wondering if the brand name of Georgia isn't carrying a lot of water for Ladd. I don't think they're in the same tier at all, only that it is an interesting exercise to compare them and their relative values in their projected rounds.

Prospect A: 23.06 yo, 6105 203, 4.46 forty, 4.02 shuttle, 6.70 three cone, 36" VJ, 10'1" BJ, 9 5/8" hand
131 rec-1732 yds-19 TD in 24 GP
81st percentile college dominator, 91st target share, 27th breakout age
Prospect B: 22.46 yo, 5115 186, 4.39 forty, 3.97 shuttle, 6.72 three cone, 36" VJ, 10'4" BJ, 8 5'8" hand
119 rec-1687 yds-14 TD in 39 GP
19th percentile college dominator, 27th target share, never dominated enough for breakout age

Point taken on McCaffrey being primarily a slot in college (but his production is even more eye-popping in that case). But I think Ladd will certainly gravitate toward a slot role in the NFL despite his usage at Georgia. On age, they're six months apart and McConkey's breakout happened only one year before McCaffrey's (his time spent at QB may explain this). Their speed and agility are close, especially when Luke's much better physical profile is considered. Though I have read that Luke doesn't quite play up to his testing.

I just think Ladd would be a very disappointing 1st rounder when names like CDJ, Latu, Chop, and the other WRs are hopefuls. I support the idea for versatile chess pieces, but Ladd feels kind of redundant to spend that asset on right now. BTJ, Worthy, or even Mitchell would feel better for me.

Last edited:

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Out of all the solid second tier WR’s, who’s the one guy you’d absolutely hate to see a team like KC draft?

It’s McKonkey for me. Mahomes will carve up defenses with him and Kelce’s ability to get open.

Give me Ladd!

Reactions: Reddawg and Husko

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'm all aboard the McConkey train at this point.

Grab McConkey in the first, then give me fast-as-hell MF on Day 3 who can double as the primary returner on the team (i.e. Marquez Stevenson without the injuries please) for the WR double-dip. Return guy would probably only play 5-10 snaps on offense a game, but enough to give defenses a different look, while McConkey is more active in the offense.

Reactions: Reddawg

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Can I vouch for spending one of our five picks between 128 and 163 on Tory Taylor from Iowa? Or is spending a 4/5 on a punter immediate tomatoes thrown?

For all the hype around Araiza, this kid is way more impressive. His ability to kill balls inside the 10 could be a true game-changer.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Can I vouch for spending one of our five picks between 128 and 163 on Tory Taylor from Iowa? Or is spending a 4/5 on a punter immediate tomatoes thrown?

For all the hype around Araiza, this kid is way more impressive. His ability to kill balls inside the 10 could be a true game-changer.
Yes,

6th or 7th round, sure.

Reactions: Zman5778

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Yes,

6th or 7th round, sure.
He very likely won't be there unfortunately. Brugler and Nystrom both have him as a 4th, which is unprecedented. Since most of us assume we don't have roster room for all 10 picks this weekend, I'd be ok taking a shot at the best punter in the league at 144 with an eye towards cutting Martin and saving some dough.

Plus I'm a sucker for Aussies/former rugby players. The other former ruggers I have my eye on are RB George Holani from Boise, TE Thomas Yassmin from Utah, and G Isaiah Adams from Illinois. And Latu of course, who has passed up on pro contracts since he was like 16.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
He very likely won't be there unfortunately. Brugler and Nystrom both have him as a 4th, which is unprecedented. Since most of us assume we don't have roster room for all 10 picks this weekend, I'd be ok taking a shot at the best punter in the league at 144 with an eye towards cutting Martin and saving some dough.

Plus I'm a sucker for Aussies/former rugby players. The other former ruggers I have my eye on are RB George Holani from Boise, TE Thomas Yassmin from Utah, and G Isaiah Adams from Illinois. And Latu of course, who has passed up on pro contracts since he was like 16.
Although happy for him - i was annoyed when Louis Rees Zammit signed for KC. To leave his rugby career behind considering his age & his standing in the game was brave to say the least.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Although happy for him - i was annoyed when Louis Rees Zammit signed for KC. To leave his rugby career behind considering his age & his standing in the game was brave to say the least.
For sure I was also annoyed that it was KC who gave him the chance. He's the first true top level guy to try his hand at NFL and maybe young enough to return to rugby if this fails. Worth a shot due to the difference in $$$.

I still have a few daydreams about what could have been with Christian Wade.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I'd consider 163 if he was still there and there was no value anywhere else, assuming we've done no wheeling a dealing.

Now....let's say we've traded back and gotten a 3rd and maybe another 4th. OK, then maybe I'd consider him at 128 or 133.

But as it stands right now, I wouldn't advocate for Taylor until 163

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
What sort of money was he making as a rugby player?
I have no idea. I'm not really a rugby guy aside from growing up around it.

The top players in the world (or at least northern hemisphere) make less than £ 1m/per (excluding endorsements etc) though. I'd guess a few £ 100 k/per for him ? He was playing in England's top level where he'd earn more than the provincial teams in Wales. If he developed as expected he could have moved to France to be one of the best paid players sooner or later, i expect.

My point was more about success than money. He has only just turned 23 yet had already established himself as one of the better players on the international stage. By comparison - Christian Wade was on the verge of 30 when he joined the Bills & had never come close to being anything internationally.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Just a reminder last years 28th pick came about 11:30 pm. Get nap in now if you can.

Aaron Williams will be presenting the Bill's 2nd round pick tomorrow btw.

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
My last mock draft effort. Again, I think it's Legette, DeJean, or trade down at 28.

Trades:
60 to Detroit for 61 and 249
61 and 249 to Atlanta for 74 and 109
109, 128, and 163 to Arizona for 90
133 and 144 to Arizona for 111

28: Cooper DeJean DB Iowa
74: Devontez Walker WR North Carolina
90: T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas
111: Brendan Rice WR USC
160: MJ Devonshire CB Pittsburgh
200: Myles Cole DE Texas Tech
204: Sione Vaki S Utah
248: Jordan Magee LB Temple
I would think McD will be pounding the table for DeJean if he is there.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
WGR (Sal) pushing the trade up narrative fwiw which likely means were staying or doing down :D

Wonder if the NFL put a hush order on teams about rumors. Not much out there.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'm going to bump my bold.preditcion. DTs way higher than expected. Murphy at or near the top 10. A 3rd.DT in the 1st. I think it'll be Kris Jenkins or Maason Smith as the surprise/nobody had them in their mocks, 1st round pick. DTs got fricken paid this off-season. Teams pay attention to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad