Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I don't think his previous issues had to do with DUI (at least he was never charged with it). Just going 120 mph on the freeway, driving "aggressively" and causing a multi-car pileup. As Dubi Doo said, it was believed he was racing with a former SMU teammate. His charges all had to do with aggravated assault and collision causing various levels of injury.

Kid from SMU was suspended from school, but I doubt KC cares enough to punish Rice, even for a 2nd incident in the same offseason.
It is a question of what the NFL will do. There were reports out there that KC was expecting Rice to get suspended for around 8 games for the racing accident. With this on top of that...

Reactions: JLewyB

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Well Beane said Bishop was the last 2nd round grade on their board, and the room was authentically happy to get him.

I do get a weird vibe from the video though. Nobody mentions Coleman until after they traded from 32 to 33. I'd be willing to bet they had Legette higher on their board. Maybe even Pearsall too. But they clearly weren't interested in Worthy.
I think that has a lot more to do with their draft board and grades, and not much to do with Coleman or Bishop.

I said a while back that picks 25-40 looked the same to me in terms of grades. So once Beane couldn't get a trade up, which was reported but not in the video, then he was looking for value.

Plus, going from Day 1 to having basically 24 hours to sit on a pick, which Beane says at the 4:21 mark that it's Keon Coleman, takes a ton of the wind out of the sails. They knew it was Coleman, so it wasn't like the excitement of someone like Kincaid being there, or Bishop falling, etc.

Plus, at the 9:05 mark Beane said he's glad Coleman ran a slow 40 time so it would be easier to draft him. So I don't think it was a let down.

It's just situational.

Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I think that has a lot more to do with their draft board and grades, and not much to do with Coleman or Bishop.

I said a while back that picks 25-40 looked the same to me in terms of grades. So once Beane couldn't get a trade up, which was reported but not in the video, then he was looking for value.

Plus, going from Day 1 to having basically 24 hours to sit on a pick, which Beane says at the 4:21 mark that it's Keon Coleman, takes a ton of the wind out of the sails. They knew it was Coleman, so it wasn't like the excitement of someone like Kincaid being there, or Bishop falling, etc.

Plus, at the 9:05 mark Beane said he's glad Coleman ran a slow 40 time so it would be easier to draft him. So I don't think it was a let down.

It's just situational.
I don't think it was a let down, but I'm saying, they weren't targeting Coleman with the trade down.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021

Why is it someone else's responsibility to make sure Rice doesn't foul up his career? If the dude isn't smart enough to keep his focus on football, he deserves to lose his place in the league, and someone else deserves the opportunity to be a better man.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't think it was a let down, but I'm saying, they weren't targeting Coleman with the trade down.
Sure, but it's clear that Beane liked him at the combine, so it wasn't the type of pick where the Bills were stuck and just took BPA as the sole factor. I think Coleman probably had a similar grade to a bunch of players, so Beane factored in need. Then among the receivers, they liked him the best.

It was a good series of moves by Beane.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Spending on elite players is fine.

Paying good players like they're elite is where you get yourself into trouble.
Right. And using the Miller swing as an example - it was pretty clearly a dumb move to invest so much into a guy who was well past his best.
Well Beane said Bishop was the last 2nd round grade on their board, and the room was authentically happy to get him.

I do get a weird vibe from the video though. Nobody mentions Coleman until after they traded from 32 to 33. I'd be willing to bet they had Legette higher on their board. Maybe even Pearsall too. But they clearly weren't interested in Worthy.
I'm just about to watch it. But it was pretty obvious Carolina were going to pick Legette. If he was really their guy - there's no way they'd have let Carolina jump ahead of them to get him.

Tough not to like Legette the man after watching his first presser in Carolina though. He's as likeable as Coleman if not more so.

It's just situational.
Beane confirmed in his post draft presser that there were absolutely no discussions re a trade up. I doubt that was ever on the cards.

Agree with the rest of your post.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Beane confirmed in his post draft presser that there were absolutely no discussions re a trade up. I doubt that was ever on the cards.

Beane said that a trade up into the top 10 was all smoke and that he was unwilling to move pick 60 to move up later in the 1st round.

So, it sounds like he did try to move up from 28. But, all the teams they called wanted the 2nd rounder and that was no bueno.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Right. And using the Miller swing as an example - it was pretty clearly a dumb move to invest so much into a guy who was well past his best.

I'm just about to watch it. But it was pretty obvious Carolina were going to pick Legette. If he was really their guy - there's no way they'd have let Carolina jump ahead of them to get him.

Tough not to like Legette the man after watching his first presser in Carolina though. He's as likeable as Coleman if not more so.

Thats a poor take on Miller.

Millers contract would be fine if not for the injury.

While just playing 11 games he still led the team in sacks, second in TFL, 3rd in QB hits.

What he did at the end of the KC regular season game is exactly why the Bills needed him and what he was capable of.

He just got unlucky and got hurt.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Thats a poor take on Miller.

Millers contract would be fine if not for the injury.

While just playing 11 games he still led the team in sacks, second in TFL, 3rd in QB hits.

What he did at the end of the KC regular season game is exactly why the Bills needed him and what he was capable of.

He just got unlucky and got hurt.
Though I do think it's fair to say they should have been more weary of the potential for catastrophic injury given Miller's age. I still think on balance it was worth the swing, but that risk was baked in.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I missed that. I saw a report that he tried to trade up on draft night but can't remember who it was, as I'm not on X or instagram.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Off topic a bit. So, it seems the transition plan is for Terry to slowly empower his oldest daughter, Laura, to take over the business. She's been a part of the family business for a while, so it makes sense with Kim's health concerns and Terry's age.

Is transfer of a team something that Terry can just do my making his daughter a minority owner, and then eventually take over? Is there an inheritance tax that makes that type of transition difficult? Thinking long term about both team staying in Buffalo.

I didn't even know Pegula had an older daughter until the report came out of her taking part of the team. Has she been part of the process the whole time? Is she also married to someone who is part of the Pegula team (like Jessica was)?

I'm not a businessman, but I'd have to think that Terry didn't get to where he is without thinking this type of stuff through.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Off topic a bit. So, it seems the transition plan is for Terry to slowly empower his oldest daughter, Laura, to take over the business. She's been a part of the family business for a while, so it makes sense with Kim's health concerns and Terry's age.

Is transfer of a team something that Terry can just do my making his daughter a minority owner, and then eventually take over? Is there an inheritance tax that makes that type of transition difficult? Thinking long term about both team staying in Buffalo.

I didn't even know Pegula had an older daughter until the report came out of her taking part of the team. Has she been part of the process the whole time? Is she also married to someone who is part of the Pegula team (like Jessica was)?

I'm not a businessman, but I'd have to think that Terry didn't get to where he is without thinking this type of stuff through.
The NFL has hard and fast rules around having succession plans. With Kim's health issues and Terry's age, the NFL needed the Pegulas to come up with a succession plan. The plan is that the team will go to Laura and that was why she was given the small ownership stake now.

There are inheritance tax issues to consider. But, given how determined Terry & Kim have been that they want to hand the team down to their kids, I would suspect that they have plans for that like setting aside a fund to cover taxes.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The NFL has hard and fast rules around having succession plans. With Kim's health issues and Terry's age, the NFL needed the Pegulas to come up with a succession plan. The plan is that the team will go to Laura and that was why she was given the small ownership stake now.

There are inheritance tax issues to consider. But, given how determined Terry & Kim have been that they want to hand the team down to their kids, I would suspect that they have plans for that like setting aside a fund to cover taxes.
I wonder at some point if Terry transfers more of the team's ownership stake to Laura, where at some point she is a majority owner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad