Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I went back and watched the last two games of the tourney. Was out of town for them. Freij was arguably the best player on the ice. Defensively and offensively he shined. The handling, passing, and shot selection. Net front (did well but surprised), closing gaps, and transition. I don’t see where a Greentree, Connelly, or Nygard are a better pick. He may produce more than they do. He was flying on the rush when he turned on the jets. See some Josi in his game.
After seeing Freij dominate the bronze medal game I rewatched the Canada-Sweden semi to make sure I wasn’t giving him too much credit for beating up on lesser team. He was great against Canada too. The ice was tilted when he was on it. He (and Petterson up front too) was able to get where he wanted and drive o from back end without allowing much against. I am tempted to move him into top 10. His upside is absurd, but with even normal progression I think he becomes top 4D. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is gone by our pick.

That’s a solid list. Not big on the Russian mid tier guys?
Thanks. After top few Russians I think you still downgrade them both because lack of international competition limits heads-up matchups to view and also because you have less control on their post-draft development so that adds to risk. There can be real value in some of those guys, but that is why I don’t rank them as high (it’s a risk adjustment).

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I wouldn’t have taken Hage to be a 3rd or 4th line center either for Canada. His defense is pretty poor. He is no Beaudoin for sure. New found respect for Coles future after WJCs.

Boisvert would have Greentrees problem of being too slow for the pace.
Beaudoin made huge impression. Love his game. I think his offensive skills/instincts run 3rd line more than 2nd but he is guy you want.

Hage and Boisvert I would have liked to see in u18 to get more accurate measuring stick. My sense is they have the upside to go higher, but are a bit further behind the guys ranked ahead of them. I struggled where to place them.

Last edited:
Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
After seeing Freij dominate the bronze medal game I rewatched the Canada-Sweden semi to make sure I wasn’t giving him too much credit for beating up on lesser team. He was great against Canada too. The ice was tilted when he was on it. He (and Petterson up front too) was able to get where he wanted and drive o from back end without allowing much against. I am tempted to move him into top 10. His upside is absurd, but with even normal progression I think he becomes top 4D. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is gone by our pick.

Thanks. After top few Russians I think you still downgrade them both because lack of international competition limits heads-up matchups to view and also because you have less control on their post-draft development so that adds to risk. There can be real value in some of those guys, but that is why I don’t rank them as high (it’s a risk adjustment).
What sort of player do you see Freij comparable to?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I see some Luke Hughes. Someone mentioned Josi. He has some heiskanen about him, but don’t expect him to reach that level defensively. I see some Quinn Hughes in him but he is bigger and not quite as quick (nobody is) as Quinn.
That's what I was thinking too, thanks for confirming. I'm a bit more hopeful a defenseman like him can rise up or even force another dman to fall to us.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I see some Luke Hughes. Someone mentioned Josi. He has some heiskanen about him, but don’t expect him to reach that level defensively. I see some Quinn Hughes in him but he is bigger and not quite as quick (nobody is) as Quinn.
I said Josi as he is really slick and calm but not overly physical but solid overall on both ends of the ice.

Reactions: Blueston

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Totally agree with the recent comments on Freij. I think he would be a solid selection at # 16.
The key with him is his focus and skating ability. Further, it's the upside potential that he has that your drafting. In Freij, all the traits of a 2D are there. I just wish he was a RD. Alexander Steen is the European Consultant for the Blues and for sure he has evaluated Freij and others.
That's a real positive. A physical , solid D that can eat minutes can be added in the second.

As far as a reach, who really cares. Freij, Sennecke, and Beaudoin are all rising based on their recent performance. This draft, past the top 10 or 12 is wide open. I have always believed in best player available in the first round. But, you take the D over a forward unless it's really a top line player. Guys like MBN, Hage, Greentree all have some qualities, but most likely are middle six players at best. It's better economic value for the future to take the D. This is a defensive favored draft with a possibility that over 25 will be picked by the end of the second round.

With such a desperate need for D prospects, the Blues could certainly add a few for sure.
Spencer Gill , Lukas Fisher, and Will Skahen might be available in the second. Wish they could get Elick, Emery, or Brunicke but most likely these RD will be gone.

AyeBah

Apr 5, 2019
Totally agree with the recent comments on Freij. I think he would be a solid selection at # 16.
The key with him is his focus and skating ability. Further, it's the upside potential that he has that your drafting. In Freij, all the traits of a 2D are there. I just wish he was a RD. Alexander Steen is the European Consultant for the Blues and for sure he has evaluated Freij and others.
That's a real positive. A physical , solid D that can eat minutes can be added in the second.

As far as a reach, who really cares. Freij, Sennecke, and Beaudoin are all rising based on their recent performance. This draft, past the top 10 or 12 is wide open. I have always believed in best player available in the first round. But, you take the D over a forward unless it's really a top line player. Guys like MBN, Hage, Greentree all have some qualities, but most likely are middle six players at best. It's better economic value for the future to take the D. This is a defensive favored draft with a possibility that over 25 will be picked by the end of the second round.

With such a desperate need for D prospects, the Blues could certainly add a few for sure.
Spencer Gill , Lukas Fisher, and Will Skahen might be available in the second. Wish they could get Elick, Emery, or Brunicke but most likely these RD will be gone.
Interestingly although Freij is a lefty he has played the entire season on the right side. That's pretty impressive and obviously not a given he could do it in the NHL but would be interesting to test out in the coming years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad