OT: 2024 Boston Marathon

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Running a marathon with three months of training is not normal. Running five more marathons the following year — including three in the span of one month — isn’t normal either.
Zdeno Chara isn’t normal.
The former Bruins captain — who at 6 feet, 9 inches is the tallest player in NHL history — has run six marathons, a half Ironman, a 50-kilometer trail race, and a handful of road races since hanging up his skates in September 2022.
Monday’s Boston Marathon will mark his seventh marathon in the last 12 months. He plans to run No. 8 in London a mere six days after crossing the finish line on Boylston Street.

The kicker? Chara, 47, isn’t just finishing these races. He’s running fast. He dropped a time of 3 hours, 38 minutes in last year’s Marathon — impressive by any standard, but made more remarkable by the fact that it was his first marathon. Since then, he’s shaved 28 minutes off his personal best and shows no signs of slowing down.

“The feeling of crossing the finish line and having fun on the course and being fit and in good shape just gives you the confidence and excitement to sign up for another one,” Chara said.

After 24 years playing professional hockey, including 13 in Boston, Chara had no interest in taking time off. He didn’t want to enjoy a life without constant physical exertion.

He wanted to hit the road.

Chara started running right away — though “started” may be the wrong verb. He enjoyed running to stay in shape during the offseason. When he retired from hockey, the one-day contract he signed with the Bruins included a clause stating “Zdeno must agree to keep himself in good shape and physical condition at all times in his post-retirement.”

Chara’s post-retirement running, however, was different. He wasn’t chasing a goal, and he started to feel himself plateau.

He sought help from Becca Pizzi, a professional marathoner from Belmont. She took one look at the runs he logged and had an idea.

“In three months, there’s a marathon — the Boston Marathon,” Pizzi told him last February. “What do you think about running it?”

Chara was no stranger to the spectacle, but he found the idea of running 26.2 miles “unreachable,” especially with so little time to prepare.

“I wouldn’t suggest just taking three months and training to just anyone,” Pizzi said. “You risk a lot of injury, and it’s really hard to pull off for somebody normal. There was no doubt in my mind that, with his athleticism, he could do it.”

These days, Chara logs an average of 60 miles per week. From running to biking, swimming, and weight training, Chara estimates that he spends upward of 20 hours per week preparing for the next race.

Despite entering the sport with four decades’ worth of physical stress, Chara has remained mostly injury-free.

“I said to [Chara], ‘How do you think that you’re able to do this given you’ve been such an intense athlete all your life?’ ” McGillivray said. “‘You would think that by now your legs and knees and ankles and everything else would have taken such a beating that it would be hard to do this — almost impossible.’ ”

Chara takes an estimated 1,885 strides per mile, while Pizzi clocks about 2,503. That means Pizzi takes an average of 618 more steps per mile than Chara, and nearly 16,200 more strides per marathon.

With a half-dozen marathons out of the way, Chara has set his sights on competing in Ironmans, which include a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike ride, and a marathon. His first foray came when he competed in a half in Daytona, Fla., in December. His first full Ironman will be Germany’s Challenge Roth this July.

“There’s something about being a professional athlete that creates an extremophile,” Tenforde said.

As much as it may seem that he’s chasing an impossible standard that he set for himself, Chara’s only goal when he crosses the start line is to reach the finish. Each personal best is merely the byproduct of a professional athlete’s unending desire to compete.

But if Chara continues his trajectory, McGillivray is convinced he’ll be among marathon royalty.

“Pretty soon he’ll be running with Meb, for God’s sake.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The 128th Boston Marathon, one of the most celebrated sporting events in the city, is just days away and the weather is looking sunny and warm — peaking in the 60s — for Monday for the tens of thousands of runners set to hit the pavement and the spectators cheering them on.
First, some scattered light to moderate showers will race through Massachusetts Sunday evening, mainly associated with an approaching warm front but they should clear out in time for the first race, the men’s wheelchair contest, at 9:02 a.m. There may be a few puddles in the roadway from Sunday night’s rainfall.
With warm air gradually pushing through the 26.2-mile running route before daybreak, there remains a slight chance for a spot shower to linger just as things kick off. Then conditions really improve.
Here’s a look at weather conditions at the starting line in Hopkinton as the first race gets underway:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Among those likely to stand out in the packed field — and possibly catch the eyes of attendees — are a handful of notable names. The high-profile participants include previous champions, beloved sports stars, and recognizable faces from television. Meanwhile, former Patriots tight end and fan-favorite Rob Gronkowskiwill serve as this year’s grand marshal.

Zdeno Chara: Bruins legend​

Nicolas Kiefer: Tennis Olympic medalist​

Henry Richard: Brother of Martin Richard​

Daniel Humm: Award-winning chef​

Matt Wilpers: Peloton instructor​

Shane Sager: Sting’s harmonica player​

Meb Keflezighi: 2014 winner​

Des Linden: 2018 winner​

Evans Chebet: 2022 and 2023 winner​

Charlie Davis: ‘Survivor’ 46 contestant​

Amby Burfoot: 1968 winner​

Troy Hoyt: Grandson of Dick Hoyt​

Tevin Wooten: NBC10 Boston meteorologist​

Emily Maher: WCVB reporter​

Dave Fortier: Boston Marathon bombing survivor​

Phoebe Robinson: comedian and actress​

Chris Tanaka: WBZ-TV reporter​

Adrianne Haslet: Boston Marathon bombing survivor​

Carl Dooley: Boston chef​

Nearly all are running to raise funds for a charity.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Is the marathon earlier this year or is the NHL playoffs later?
Because I always remember marathon Monday as the sox playing at 11am, and then the Bruins having like game 3 of the playoffs in round 1.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Is the marathon earlier this year or is the NHL playoffs later?
Because I always remember marathon Monday as the sox playing at 11am, and then the Bruins having like game 3 of the playoffs in round 1.

The Marathon ( Patriots Day) is celebrated the third Monday of April each year.
So it slides.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Going to be a beautiful day to spectate and go to a baseball game, but tough weather for the runners.

One of the things that makes Boston unique, in addition to the downhills to start and hilly end, is the unpredictability of the weather. You train in the winter and could get any range of weather for race day.

The year I ran (2017), my longest long training run (21 miles) it was 52 with occasional drizzle. PERFECT. Race day it was 72 without a cloud in the sky, and charity runners start at 11:15am which is WAY later than most training runs. I knew my race was over before the half point and just focused on finishing and staying out of the medical tent.

“if you’re ever losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon” - K Switzer

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
“Pretty soon he’ll be running with Meb, for God’s sake.”
I wish people could talk about athletes without trying to turn them superhuman. Chara had a good run today (3:30ish) which is a decent result for anyone, but a very good result for a guy of his size. (Long legs help but bulk is a detraction.)

But no, he’s never running a sub 2:30 or something. So people read this and they see him in a few years running a 3:10 or something (which is a great time for a late-40s marathoner) and they think he’s failing because he’s NOT running 2:30?

Yeah, I get hyperbole but this kind of thing actually doesn’t give credit where it’s due.

Don’t mind me. I had to skip Boston and I have serious FOMO.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
What I can’t wrap my brain around, is the fact that the guy who won today, averaged 12.5 mph for OVER TWO HOURS. That’s insane. I don’t think I’ve ever ran that fast in a dead sprint…

Reactions: BMC

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I don’t think I could ever qualify for Boston.

I’ve run Manchester 5 times and finished 4. Blew it on mile 23 the one year the temps reached the mid 70s and I got stupid and tried to push the tempo.

Pretty consistently finish in the 4:40 range.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Lol!

1713272668747.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: eightspokedb

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Going to be a beautiful day to spectate and go to a baseball game, but tough weather for the runners.

One of the things that makes Boston unique, in addition to the downhills to start and hilly end, is the unpredictability of the weather. You train in the winter and could get any range of weather for race day.

The year I ran (2017), my longest long training run (21 miles) it was 52 with occasional drizzle. PERFECT. Race day it was 72 without a cloud in the sky, and charity runners start at 11:15am which is WAY later than most training runs. I knew my race was over before the half point and just focused on finishing and staying out of the medical tent.

“if you’re ever losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon” - K Switzer
Despite the weather, you absolutely crushed it.

I am planning on coming up for next year's marathon festivities. Felt strange not being in the city yesterday but I got to watch it on ESPN2.

There was a guy from Bethany, OK who ran under 2 hrs 40 min. for the local children's hospital and they had a story on him last night. Was nice to see a slice of home and the anchors were in awe.

Reactions: BMC

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I don’t think I could ever qualify for Boston.

I’ve run Manchester 5 times and finished 4. Blew it on mile 23 the one year the temps reached the mid 70s and I got stupid and tried to push the tempo.

Pretty consistently finish in the 4:40 range.
I thought that too. Had a couple of results within 15 minutes of my BQ and then not only plateaued, but got worse. Changed my training, accepted how much it was going to hurt training, and I've hit my BQ time in 13 straight marathons. Happy to offer specific suggestions if you're interested.

• Love
Reactions: smithformeragent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad