2024 april mock draft top 16

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Results by tankathon

1. :devils select Macklin Celebrini, C (Boston University - NCAA)
2. :hawks select Ivan Demidov, RW (St-Petersburg - MHL)
3. :sharks select Artem Levshunov, D (Michigan State - NCAA)
4. :ducks select Sam Dickinson, D (London - OHL)
5. :cbj select Cayden Lindstrom, C (Medicine Hat - WHL)
6. :coyotes select Carter Yakemchuk, D (Calgary - WHL)
7. :habs select Zayne Parekh, D (Saginaw - OHL)
8. :sens select Tij Iginla, C (Kelowna - WHL)
9. :flames select Berkly Catton, C (Spokane - WHL)
10. :seattle select Zeev Buium, D (University of Denver - NCAA)
11. :sabres select Cole Eiserman, LW (USNDP - USHL)
12. :flyers select Anton Silayev, D (Nizhny Novgorod - KHL)
13. :wild select Konsta Helenius, C (Jukurit - Liiga)
14. :sharks (via PIT) select Liam Greentree, RW (Windsor - OHL)
15. :wings select Igor Chernyshov, LW (Moskva - MHL)
16. :blues select Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, RW (Mora - Allsvenskan)

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Not 100% sure The Habs go with a dman. IMO it would depend on what HuGo has planned when it comes to trade(s). If they land a young forward or two via trades like the Newhook or Dach deals then yea I can see Parekh being a target. If not I think they go with the best forward available.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Not 100% sure The Habs go with a dman. IMO it would depend on what HuGo has planned when it comes to trade(s). If they land a young forward or two via trades like the Newhook or Dach deals then yea I can see Parekh being a target. If not I think they go with the best forward available.
I don't think either position is a slam dunk. But we know Hughes and the Habs have met with Parekh before, and he gives the Habs a lot of room to trade from a position of strength (defense prospects) to acquire young scoring forwards.

Also, it depends on how the teams before the Habs pick. If a forward like Lindstrom or Demidov are available, I imagine they're the choice. Heck, maybe even a Catton, Iginla, or Eiserman if they want are for them.

This is just my guess

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Montreal aren't taking a defender. It will depend on where they land in the lottery, but getting someone who projects to score at the NHL level is the priority. While I don't see it happening, if they move up or land in a slot where Demidov or the like might go, they could trade down a couple of spots and get the player they want. They don't need the extra assets at this point. They need quality.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Montreal aren't taking a defender. It will depend on where they land in the lottery, but getting someone who projects to score at the NHL level is the priority. While I don't see it happening, if they move up or land in a slot where Demidov or the like might go, they could trade down a couple of spots and get the player they want. They don't need the extra assets at this point. They need quality.
They could absolutely take a defender. There’s still question marks on defense, and Hughes/Gorton seem to recognize that good defense cores win championships.

Plus Parekh is someone they’ve already met so there’s clearly interest there

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
They could absolutely take a defender. There’s still question marks on defense, and Hughes/Gorton seem to recognize that good defense cores win championships.

Plus Parekh is someone they’ve already met so there’s clearly interest there
Meeting with Zayne could be nothing more than due diligence. It's in your best interest to chat up any of the players that could be available when it's your turn.

I'm not discounting his season either. 33 goals and 96 points is remarkable. Goal scoring from the forward core is a far more pressing need though. Guhle is established and can play both sides. Reinbacher and Mailloux give them two very promising RHD that I think play in Montreal before the end of next season.

The first line seems established. We hope that Dach can have a healthy season next year and build with Newhook, who has quietly had an effective season. 30 points in 50 games and a 20 goal pace projects nicely over a full season. To eclipse 3 goals a game, they need to add goals. 90 goals from the first line, 60-70 goals from the second line, and 50 goals from the bottom six.

Short of trading one of the aforementioned for that scoring prospect, I think their focus should be on goals.

Reactions: Omar

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Buffalo would go Silayev the way this fell imo.
I don't see how with the D they currently have with a lack of center depth

If Flyers get Silayev at 12 that would rival them getting Michkov at 7. I haven't done my yearly mock yet, I only do rankings until the draft order is set.

1. Celebrini
2. Silayev
3. Demidov
4. Yakemchuk
5. Levshunov
6. Eiserman
7. Catton
8. Lindstrom
9. Iginla
10. Dickinson
11. Helenius
12. Buium