HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
A for 20 and 31.
C for 88

Life is too short for the rest

Kreider: A+, needs no explanation.

Shesterkin: A, did everything he could.

Fox: A-, I think we're making way too much of one gaffe. We get swept without Fox.

Tarasenko: B, thought he was pretty average tbh but he scored some big goals.

Kakko: B-, was very solid but didn't score. Really frustrating player.

Lindgren: C, was watchable

The F's are Panarin, Lafreniere, Miller, and Trouba.

Everyone else gets a D because it was a D series.
Miller frustrates me to no end on defense. I hope the next coach tries him on the wing; he could well put up 30+ goals with his size, speed, shot and offensive instincts. His defensive positioning and cluelessness are a massive detriment.

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
Kreider: A-
Zibanejad: D (clearly below what is expected)
Tarasenko: B
Lafreniere: F
Chytil: D
Kakko: C (only because my expectations are so low. It pains me to see him getting Bs because it means we now expect him to be worse than what we just watched, which was standard bottom 6)
Panarin: D
Trochek: D
Kane: D
Vesey: D
Goodrow: D
Motte: C

Lindgren: C
Fox: C
Miller: D
Trouba: C
Mikkola: B
Schneider: C

Shesterkin: A

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I would have said Fox and Kreider basically had the same playoffs, so it's interesting to see the descrepency in their grades (also interesting that CK appears to have avoid any criticism for the first goal last night. Fox put him in a shit spot with a horrible turnover, but CK did have the puck and then turned it over again...)

Igor was an A.
KK was probably above expectation but that's because they were pretty low.
Everyone else ranges from "barely met expectations" to "flat out crap"

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Shesterkin: A
Lindgren: C
Miller: C-
Trouba: C-
Mikkola: C
Vesey: C
Goodrow: C
Kakko: D
Chytil: D
Lafreniere: F
Kane: C-
Trochek: C-
Panarin: F-
Tarasenko: C+
Zibanejad: D+
Kreider: B+

The grades are relative to the expectations of the individual. I’m pretty sure if you remove Kreider and Shesterkin that’s something like a D average, a team that could have been swept and a roster that probably needs a full rebuild with maybe 2-3 core pieces kept… but because of bad contract and cap management, will simply sink into mediocrity for a few years and then bottom out as an absolutely dog shit dumpster fire and hopefully be forced to do an actual rebuild this time around.

Last edited:

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Figures this warrants a discussion outside of the roster building and post mortem thread.

My scale for reference:

A: Way exceeded expectations
B: exceeded expectations
C: met expectations
D: below expectations
F: failure
I: Incomplete. Think they were injured
Ouuu, I like this, going to go with my easiest rankings first, then maybe group guys in a range together:

Shesterkin: A-. Without him, each and every game could have had 3 extra Devils goals. That said, he allowed guys to get in his head a little, ultimately costing the team with the Game 3 penalty (yes, Meier should have been called but Shesterkin blockered him in back of head 4 times out of frustration, taking THE penalty), and gave up a very weak GWG in Game 4 right after we tied it up.

Kreider: B+. Prior to Game 7, this would have been an A-. Even then, he was great in Games 1-3...but after those 5 goals, the only one he scored went off his shinpad in Game 6. He did have two nice assists that game though, and without that performance from him, there may not have been a Game 7.

Panarin: F-(------).

Zibanejad: I/D-. Gotta be injured, the alternative if so fragile mentally he disappears...which I don't want to believe. Only reason he's not an F is Game 6, and the fact he kills penalties.

Tarasenko: C+. Was key to early series start. Disappeared far to often (the whole core did) for a guy who was brought in as a "proven playoff performer".

Kane: I/C-. Kane had a vintage Game 2 performance, had jump in Games 6&7, but otherwise was pretty useless and un-noteworthy. Playing on one hip is not his fault, but we knew that upon acquiring him. Would be open to him getting his hip fixxed vis surgery and signing him to a "hometown discount" LTIR deal.

Chytil: D.

Kakko: C+/B-. Despite the lack of poijts/scoring, I though he looked good all series. High overall play was nice to see, but hard to say he exeeded expectations when the points didn't follow when we could have used them as our big guns shot blanks.

Lafreniere & Trocheck: F.

Goodrow, Vesey & Motte: C-. Had good ozone cycle time, but when stars failed, would have been nice to see them step up more often with a big goal.

Fox: I/D. Another guy I neglect to believe doesn't have a somewhat signifcant injury, and its not new...it was noticeable in back half of season. If he wasn't the only reason this isn't an F is his Games 1&2. Also, could have been a C- instead if not for his horrendous Game 7.

Lindgren & Mikkola: C. They're stay at home D men, as advertised. Didn't notice either to standout as great or terrible, which is a good thing.

Miller: F. Miller has so much talent, but man was he horrible as a puck mover post spit-gate, and especially in playoffs and specifcially a game against Buffalo (I think it was) late in season when he was direct cause of 2 goals and multiple prime chances against. Got to figure it out mentally, cannot be so weak like Mika.

Trouba: C+. The plus is for the hit on Meier. If that was laid in Period 1 of Game 5, maybe we wake up and win the series in 6. Too late.

Schneider: B. Best hockey of the season was in playoffs for the kid. Aside from that random spurt where he scored 5 goals in 15 games or something. But thats not his job, his role and job is to do exactly what he did in these playoffs. Some Trouba-lite-esque hits.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Shesterkin: A+
Fox: B- (has to be hurt)
Lindgren: B
Miller: D (expected better)
Trouba: C+ (he at least tires to change momentum, sadly it does not affect the softcore)
Schneider: B+
Mikkola: B+
Vesey: B-
Goodrow: B=
Motte: B-
Kakko: D-
Chytil: C-
Lafreniere: F-
Kane: C (playing hurt and more noticeable than Panarin)
Trochek: D (expected a lot more, must be hurt)
Panarin: F- (pathetic effort)
Tarasenko: C (he was underused but played well. Should have gotten Panarin’s minutes)
Zibanejad: D- (he better be hurt, if not, I would trade his soft attitude at the draft, if Rangers are smart sell high NMC is moveable, in his prime)
Kreider: A- (he has a history of scoring playoff goals, which his teammates had that battle in them

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Panarin: F
Zibanejad: F
Tarasenko: B

Kreider: A
Trocheck: D
Kane: C

Laf: F
Chytil: C
Kakko: C

Goodrow: C
Vesey: D

Lindgren: B
Miller: D
Trouba: D
Mikkola: C

Igor: 100 on the test
Gallant: D

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
Fox was concerning. Is this the beginning of decline? I mean he got outplayed badly by John Marino.

Panarin just played himself off the team. 6 games in a row without a point. He is a dinosaur and can’t adapt.
Yup. Devils had the best defenseman from Fox’s Harvard team this series.

• Haha
Reactions: The Gloaming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad