Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ranked #63 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #117 by FCHOCKEY

Ranked #86 by DAILY FACEOFF

Ranked #118 by THE HOCKEY NEWS

Ranked #214 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #99 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

Ranked #75 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #81 by HPR/SHANE MALLOY

Ranked #86 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

Ranked #116 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

1688067257889.png

Steal of the 7th round. Another scholastic player of the year.

Connor Levis is an off-the boards playmaker, combining thievery, puck protection, and passing skill. He’s a machine on the end boards, turning puck battles into point-blank chances with backhand and slip passes under pressure. He builds the offence in transition, passing pucks laterally before relocating for a return pass. He skates his lanes, pushing back defenders or beating them into space and sealing off pressure. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL Draft Guide

Connor Levis isn’t one of the top prospects available in the 2023 NHL Draft, but don’t let that convince you that he doesn’t have tools that could lead to a fruitful career in the NHL. He doesn’t bend the game to his will like Connor Bedard and he doesn’t ooze offensive potential like Matvei Michkov, but he does have a strong understanding of what his strengths are and how he can use them to make an impact for his team.

It starts with Levis’s size and how willing he is to use it. He isn’t exactly huge at 6-foot-2, 194 pounds, but he sure isn’t small. He uses his size and considerable strength to engage in board battles and fight for loose pucks in open ice. When he has the puck, it’s hard to knock it off his stick. As he continues to physically mature and add strength to his frame, he has the potential to develop into a real bull in a China shop, especially in the offensive zone.

Levis isn’t exceptionally creative on the attack, but he is effective. He tends to defer to simple plays rather than creating time and space through stickhandling and deception. When he runs out of space, he’ll send the puck back up high to one of his defenders or in deep behind the opposing goaltender. He’s a smart player that plays within himself; he collected 67 points in 68 games this season in the Western Hockey League mostly by playing a foundationally-sound game that complimented his teammates. -Connor Levis - 2023 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

Last edited:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's surprising to find a point a game player drafted in the 7th round who is not an overager (his NHLe adjusted is quite good for a 7th rounder). It would be interesting to read the scouting reports to find out if he was carried by his line-mates.

He was FIFTH in team scoring playing on a STACKED Rockets team with Stankhoven averaging MORE than 2PPG, Bankier, Seminoff, and Minten.

Anyone know how deep down the lineup he was playing? 2nd line, 3rd line? 1st PP, 2nd PP?

Seems like a really solid late pick.

He was definitely on the 2nd or 3rd line. There were 4 players ahead of him in points this year.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
He was FIFTH in team scoring playing on a STACKED Rockets team with Stankhoven averaging MORE than 2PPG, Bankier, Seminoff, and Minten.

He was definitely on the 2nd or 3rd line. There were 4 players ahead of him in points this year.
Yeah that's what I saw and why I asked. I just wanted clarification on who of those guys above him he was playing with and how far down the lineup he might have been.

Definitely helps his projection if he was buried down the depth chart for the other guys rather than possibly being carried.

Next year will be telling when they probably lose a bunch of those guys.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah that's what I saw and why I asked. I just wanted clarification on who of those guys above him he was playing with and how far down the lineup he might have been.

Definitely helps his projection if he was buried down the depth chart for the other guys rather than possibly being carried.

Connor Levis isn’t one of the top prospects available in the 2023 NHL Draft, but don’t let that convince you that he doesn’t have tools that could lead to a fruitful career in the NHL. He doesn’t bend the game to his will like Connor Bedard and he doesn’t ooze offensive potential like Matvei Michkov, but he does have a strong understanding of what his strengths are and how he can use them to make an impact for his team.

It starts with Levis’s size and how willing he is to use it. He isn’t exactly huge at 6-foot-2, 194 pounds, but he sure isn’t small. He uses his size and considerable strength to engage in board battles and fight for loose pucks in open ice. When he has the puck, it’s hard to knock it off his stick. As he continues to physically mature and add strength to his frame, he has the potential to develop into a real bull in a China shop, especially in the offensive zone.

Levis isn’t exceptionally creative on the attack, but he is effective. He tends to defer to simple plays rather than creating time and space through stickhandling and deception. When he runs out of space, he’ll send the puck back up high to one of his defenders or in deep behind the opposing goaltender. He’s a smart player that plays within himself; he collected 67 points in 68 games this season in the Western Hockey League mostly by playing a foundationally-sound game that complimented his teammates.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I envision him being another Mason Appleton type of player unless next year he explodes in points or greatly improves one aspect of his game. I give Cheveldayoff an A+ for this as I am excited to see what his future brings.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ranked #63 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #117 by FCHOCKEY

Ranked #86 by DAILY FACEOFF

Ranked #118 by THE HOCKEY NEWS

Ranked #214 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #99 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON

Ranked #75 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #81 by HPR/SHANE MALLOY

Ranked #86 by RECRUIT SCOUTING

Ranked #116 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

View attachment 723726

Steal of the 7th round. Another scholastic player of the year.

Connor Levis is an off-the boards playmaker, combining thievery, puck protection, and passing skill. He’s a machine on the end boards, turning puck battles into point-blank chances with backhand and slip passes under pressure. He builds the offence in transition, passing pucks laterally before relocating for a return pass. He skates his lanes, pushing back defenders or beating them into space and sealing off pressure. -EliteProspects 2023 NHL Draft Guide

Levis isn’t exceptionally creative on the attack, but he is effective. He tends to defer to simple plays rather than creating time and space through stickhandling and deception. When he runs out of space, he’ll send the puck back up high to one of his defenders or in deep behind the opposing goaltender. He’s a smart player that plays within himself; he collected 67 points in 68 games this season in the Western Hockey League mostly by playing a foundationally-sound game that complimented his teammates. -Connor Levis - 2023 NHL Draft Prospect Profile

Sounds too good for the 7th rd.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Chevy: Just give me all the Scholastic Players of the Year you have....

Wait, wait. I worry what you heard was 'give me a lot of Scholastic Players of the Year' - What I said was give me ALL of the Scholastic Players of the Year you have. Do you understand?

I've tried to model my life after Ron Swanson. :laugh:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Big fan of this late pick. Watch Levis play a lot over the years and always liked his skill level and tenacity going back to his days as a midget player. I was bit shocked to see him still there in the 7th. I know he is late birthday but he should have a big role in Kamloops next year and I kind of think he might end up traded to a contender next year.

Reactions: wraithsonwings

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Big fan of this late pick. Watch Levis play a lot over the years and always liked his skill level and tenacity going back to his days as a midget player. I was bit shocked to see him still there in the 7th. I know he is late birthday but he should have a big role in Kamloops next year and I kind of think he might end up traded to a contender next year.
Hey Joe. Do you know if he was getting second line minutes and much powerplay time?
How do you think he’ll do with a larger role next year?
3rd line ceiling possibly?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Hey Joe. Do you know if he was getting second line minutes and much powerplay time?
How do you think he’ll do with a larger role next year?
3rd line ceiling possibly?

I believe he was getting 3rd line minutes and some second PP and PK time but he moved own the lineup after a few trades. He is likely to have a major role on the team with the amount of players leaving and I expect Kamloops to actually trade him at the deadline to replenish there draft picks after hosting the mem cup

Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I believe he was getting 3rd line minutes and some second PP and PK time but he moved own the lineup after a few trades. He is likely to have a major role on the team with the amount of players leaving and I expect Kamloops to actually trade him at the deadline to replenish there draft picks after hosting the mem cup

Yeah kid has been heavily overlooked. I had him as a sleeper pick mid 2nd.

He has some skating issues but that can be worked on. Bottom line is he gets where he needs to be and isn't easily knocked around so that's a good start.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Canuck fan coming here in peace. I live in Kamloops and had season tickets this past season. Levis, as an older draft eligible, was a personal favourite for me. He was an all situations player for the Blazers. He was trusted with difficult matchups. He has a wide stance but seems to get where he needs to go. I have no idea why/how he could slip to the 7th round. Like Sawchyn and Cataford, he was a bit buried on a deep CHL team. I don't think he has the offensive flair of those two guys, but he has an NHL frame. Bottom 6 in the show seems realistic to me. How happy should Jets fans be with this late pick? Pretty flipping happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad