• Finley

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I actually have Isiah George as our 3rd ranked prospect.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I wouldn't say barren. Lacking in high end prospects? Sure. But there are a number of guys who are NHL prospects.
agreed , I feel like the system is overall getting deeper . I like that theres an echl team for guys not quite ready like Newkirk to play for a season or two before jumping to B'port

Reactions: doublechili

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I actually have Isiah George as our 3rd ranked prospect.

Huge year for him this season.

I too saw him as a very shiny piece moving forward once he was drafted - until I decided to watch a lot of the London Knights last season.

The appeal wore off.

I just sat there hoping that he was much more impacted by his injury than anything else, 'cause the supposed tools weren't being flashed in the manner expected. That he was basically a #5/6 Dman by playoff time - and Hunter used MacKinnon on the PK more than George - wasn't what I was hoping for. Mailloux and Bonk were the top two with Edward and Dickinson surpassing George along the way and rather clearly by playoff time.

Fortunately, the Knights are very keen on bringing in Dmen slowly and then progressing their responsibilities with each new season, so he's definitely on dock to be no less than a top 3 guy there this year.

Let's hope he shows us what he's really capable of ('cause I'm just not sure at this point).

Reactions: Isles72 and MJF

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Voted Iskhakov, add a shot of whiskey to dull the pain

Good lord this system is barren.

Actually, there's quite a bit of NHL material in the cupboard just now.

If I had to guess, aside from the obvious Holmstrom and Bolduc, I believe no less than Maggio, Nelson, Liukas, Iskhakov, Finley, Odelius, George, Nurmi, MacLean, and Schulz will take NHL shifts, with a good third of them finding a permanent NHL role (even if not with us).

I'd mention Dufour, Salo, Koivula, and Durandeau too, but they've already taken NHL shifts and although any NHL future (or even more shifts) are fully in the wind for Salo and Koivula, there will be more in store for the other two over time with the Islanders, much less other teams.

Of those not mentioned above, I'll continue to watch Malinen closely because his skating is simply extraordinary. Kuefler is a Martin type. A very large righty shooting Machu is just starting his college career after winning the USHL championship with Youngstown. For all intents and purposes, Gill was drafted with a very distinct belief in a specific NHL future and should be starting his pro career this fall.

That still leaves Skarek/Lennox, Rajamiemi/Good Bogg/Mitchell/Fulp/Hutton/Cholowski, Jefferies/Ljungkrantz/Berg/Newkirk.

And then there are the current AHL signees Pivonka and Krygier, each having very low-scoring careers to date that nonetheless saw them excel in a defensive capacity along the way.

The bluechippers aren't there. Heck, I don't even think Räty was one either. But "barren" is an inaccurate word selection.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Actually, there's quite a bit of NHL material in the cupboard just now.

If I had to guess, aside from the obvious Holmstrom and Bolduc, I believe no less than Maggio, Nelson, Liukas, Iskhakov, Finley, Odelius, George, Nurmi, MacLean, and Schulz will take NHL shifts, with a good third of them finding a permanent NHL role (even if not with us).

I'd mention Dufour, Salo, Koivula, and Durandeau too, but they've already taken NHL shifts and although any NHL future (or even more shifts) are fully in the wind for Salo and Koivula, there will be more in store for the other two over time with the Islanders, much less other teams.

Of those not mentioned above, I'll continue to watch Malinen closely because his skating is simply extraordinary. Kuefler is a Martin type. A very large righty shooting Machu is just starting his college career after winning the USHL championship with Youngstown. For all intents and purposes, Gill was drafted with a very distinct belief in a specific NHL future and should be starting his pro career this fall.

That still leaves Skarek/Lennox, Rajamiemi/Good Bogg/Mitchell/Fulp/Hutton/Cholowski, Jefferies/Ljungkrantz/Berg/Newkirk.

And then there are the current AHL signees Pivonka and Krygier, each having very low-scoring careers to date that nonetheless saw them excel in a defensive capacity along the way.

The bluechippers aren't there. Heck, I don't even think Räty was one either. But "barren" is an inaccurate word selection.
As you know, Krygier is my 'out of the box' prospect. A 3rd pair Mayfield-type player is his upside, which would be great for where we picked him.

And I LOVE Nelson's progression last year

For the LL haters, one thing I see is that the last few years have seen us adjust our later round approach towards higher floors instead of a bunch of lottery tickets like Kabanov, Wilde and Ho-Sang. Start with a higher floor and you are more likely to hit on a few unexpectedly. And that starts with skating and leadership skills.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
As you know, Krygier is my 'out of the box' prospect. A 3rd pair Mayfield-type player is his upside, which would be great for where we picked him.

If he can turn into a #7 who plays a 3rd of the season in a thoroughly dependable defensive capacity, that'd be a huge addition out of nowhere.

And I LOVE Nelson's progression last year

Brock or Danny?

I'll assume Danny, who I thought looked fantastic at the U18 Worlds.

In case some haven't heard, he's only been a forward for 1(!) season. He was a Dman all the years before that.

For the LL haters, one thing I see is that the last few years have seen us adjust our later round approach towards higher floors instead of a bunch of lottery tickets like Kabanov, Wilde and Ho-Sang. Start with a higher floor and you are more likely to hit on a few unexpectedly. And that starts with skating and leadership skills.

I see what you mean although your examples were 3rd, 2nd, and 1st rounders respectively.

The trends I see are that, with an average of 5 picks per summer, they like to target overagers with usually 2 of the final 3 picks (Coskey/Bibeau, Tikkanen, Maggio/Kuefler, Gill/Good Bogg), often 5th-7th rounders. Whoever their first pick is, be it in the 2nd or 3rd round, they like to take a guy who looks like a safe NHLer (Holmstrom, Ljungkrantz, Raty, Odelius, Nelson).

Usually, the guy they take with their second pick, often a 4th rounder, tends to be a gutsyer boom or bust multi-skill guy (Bolduc, Jefferies, Lennox, Finley, Nurmi).

At the moment, I'd say the one player drafted in Lou's time who has always and continues to be an absolute ??? is Ljungkrantz. I've watched him play, so I can actually see why he may have appeared to be a jumpy lower line player. But he was a guy who headlined their draft in a weird Covid year where most independent agencies didn't even list him as an afterthought.

He'll be playing Hockey Allsvenskan next winter.

But the other patterns seem to be pretty clear and we're still in the process of seeing just how wise they'll end up being.

Reactions: leeroggy

SI

Feb 16, 2013
If he can turn into a #7 who plays a 3rd of the season in a thoroughly dependable defensive capacity, that'd be a huge addition out of nowhere.

Brock or Danny?

I'll assume Danny, who I thought looked fantastic at the U18 Worlds.

In case some haven't heard, he's only been a forward for 1(!) season. He was a Dman all the years before that.

I see what you mean although your examples were 3rd, 2nd, and 1st rounders respectively.

The trends I see are that, with an average of 5 picks per summer, they like to target overagers with usually 2 of the final 3 picks (Coskey/Bibeau, Tikkanen, Maggio/Kuefler, Gill/Good Bogg), often 5th-7th rounders. Whoever their first pick is, be it in the 2nd or 3rd round, they like to take a guy who looks like a safe NHLer (Holmstrom, Ljungkrantz, Raty, Odelius, Nelson).

Usually, the guy they take with their second pick, often a 4th rounder, tends to be a gutsyer boom or bust multi-skill guy (Bolduc, Jefferies, Lennox, Finley, Nurmi).

At the moment, I'd say the one player drafted in Lou's time who has always and continues to be an absolute ??? is Ljungkrantz. I've watched him play, so I can actually see why he may have appeared to be a jumpy lower line player. But he was a guy who headlined their draft in a weird Covid year where most independent agencies didn't even list him as an afterthought.

He'll be playing Hockey Allsvenskan next winter.

But the other patterns seem to be pretty clear and we're still in the process of seeing just how wise they'll end up being.
You mentioned this before - do you really think they chose the wrong player? What was the player’s name you thought they were meant to draft?

Crazy if true?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You mentioned this before - do you really think they chose the wrong player? What was the player’s name you thought they were meant to draft?

Crazy if true?

Well, I was only hypothesizing.

The guy I thought of was Daniel Ljungman, who went to Dallas in Round 5.

I mention him because he's a Swedish forward with a similar name who was widely seen as a top 200 candidate. Heck, the EP guide had him at 104.

But I was only pondering out loud. And although Ljungman had a nice WJC a couple of years ago, he too is in line to spend next winter in the Hockey Allsvenskan (2nd Swedish league).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad