2023 ATD Poll #3: Less Experienced GMs choose draft-slots

Will we permit inexperienced/less experienced GMs to choose their draft-position?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So, two issues here:

1) What does the poll actually mean? There is no agreement on whether or not we are going with a rule allowing 1st/2nd year GMs to choose their slots, CTP's tier system, or something else.

2) What about picks 1-4?

Right now, the poll and its results are incoherent.

IMO, the tier system is overly complicated with the lottery supposed to be done in the next day or two. Let's not delay things for that.

My preference would be to just let the single new GM pick his spot. Do it like the NHL would; do a full lottery with the stipulation that the new GM can't pick lower than 4th (if indeed he wants a top 4 pick). But I'm not going to get my britches in a bunch about anything, so long as it doesn't delay the start of the thing.

If the people want to let all of "tier 4" pick, then Hawkeytown's idea makes sense.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Can we get some input from the other new GMs?
Was the option to choose your own slot part of the reason you signed up for the draft?
Did you think picks 2-4 were going to be available to choose?
How important is it to you to have the option to choose?

The worst case scenario is having someone who decided to participate because it was implied that they would have an option to pick their own spot and then we take it away from them. We can't do that.

@RustyRazor @Johnny Engine @spitsfan24 would appreciate hearing your thoughts

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
basically, I don't see the point of letting new GMs pick their spot if they are barred from picking top 4. But I also don't want returning GMs who have never drafted in the top 4 to be barred from it, either.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
It's also not worth quibbling over it all that much. I find the tier plan overly complicated, but if the only difference here is that Rusty gets to choose his draft slot, I really don't care. I'm fine with the three aforementioned teams getting the option to choose their draft slots.

I'll post a poll about which picks should be open to choose.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
No one is gonna decide to play the ATD based on being able to choose his draft spot. It doesn't serve the goal it was introduced for and I hope we get rid of it next year, if only to avoid having to go through that pre-draft bullshit again.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The thing is it's such an opaque decision I don't think it benefits a new GM much anyway. Frankly very few mistakes are made in the first round (or even the second), and the things that tank a team happen later generally.

As for method - they have until the lottery to pick their spot and we do the lottery around that pick. If they don't pick by lottery theyre included in it (with the understanding that theyre still eligible for the top 4 spots no matter what they pick). No reason to over-complicate it.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
No one is gonna decide to play the ATD based on being able to choose his draft spot. It's completely useless and I hope we get rid of it next year, if only to avoid having to go through that pre-draft bullshit again.

I see what you're saying in that having a good draft position is not what the ATD is really about and those of us that love it will participate regardless of draft position, but I could see the ability to choose your spot giving a brand new or less experienced GM, who's perhaps a bit intimidated, a little boost of confidence to push them over the fence into participating.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Was the option to choose your own slot part of the reason you signed up for the draft?

The worst case scenario is having someone who decided to participate because it was implied that they would have an option to pick their own spot and then we take it away from them. We can't do that.

Choosing my pick doesn't matter to me, no. I can't say I particularly care where I draft.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Hitru

Jan 17, 2019
So if Rusty is ok with lottery we can skip all polls and stuff and just run the lottery to get this thing going? :)

Reactions: ResilientBeast

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Ah the annual pre-draft bickering about rules. Newcomers always LOVE that.

But best to get it out of the way now, and not during the draft, plus what else do we have to talk about until the draft order is released?

We could talk about the weather, it would be just as unproductive but at least more pleasant.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Ah the annual pre-draft bickering about rules. Newcomers always LOVE that.

But best to get it out of the way now, and not during the draft, plus what else do we have to talk about until the draft order is released?

Well we've had a small surge in last minute sign-ups so maybe we need to keep having drawn out arguments

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009

Choosing my pick doesn't matter to me, no. I can't say I particularly care where I draft.

I am in agreement with my co GM on this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad