Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
But how many contenders have the cap space to sign Necas?

We have plenty of expendable assets that the Canes might value. Ferraro, 14th OA, VGK 1st, Bystedt, Edstrom, Halttunen, Cagnoni etc.
I don’t get the fascination with Necas. Unless you think he’s an absolute true superstar, there’s no use in trading for him right now. Adding a player like Necas is something the Sharks should be doing in two years, not now.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I don’t get the fascination with Necas. Unless you think he’s an absolute true superstar, there’s no use in trading for him right now. Adding a player like Necas is something the Sharks should be doing in two years, not now.
Necas is right on the line of "too old to spend significant assets to acquire at this stage in our rebuild."

Reactions: Star Platinum

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm not suggesting we trade Will Smith for him. I just think this is a rare opportunity to move some of our surplus futures for a guaranteed top line forward we can potentially lock up at a good number through the rest of his prime. No guarantee someone as good as Necas will be available in two years.

Celebrini, Smith, Necas and Eklund is your top six sorted for at least the next 7 years. All future high picks, trades and signings can be used to build up the defense.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not suggesting we trade Will Smith for him. I just think this is a rare opportunity to move some of our surplus futures for a guaranteed top line forward we can potentially lock up at a good number through the rest of his prime. No guarantee someone as good as Necas will be available in two years.

Celebrini, Smith, Necas and Eklund is your top six sorted for at least the next 7 years. All future high picks, trades and signings can be used to build up the defense.
What do we have that is actually surplus futures that anyone is going to want? A lot of the players you put on the table for this are guys that are not excess or not valuable in a trade.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What do we have that is actually surplus futures that anyone is going to want? A lot of the players you put on the table for this are guys that are not excess or not valuable in a trade.
Basically any of our prospects except Celebrini, Smith and Mukhamadullin should be on the table along with the PIT and VGK 1sts and roster players like Ferraro and Granlund. All of them have varying degrees of value.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Basically any of our prospects except Celebrini, Smith and Mukhamadullin should be on the table along with the PIT and VGK 1sts and roster players like Ferraro and Granlund. All of them have varying degrees of value.
There's no rush right now. We should really see how this season plays out before we start dealing away picks and prospects. Granlund and Ferraro can be dealt at the deadline, unless someone offers a 1st or 2nd for either one at the draft.

Reactions: WSS11 and Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Except to a team like Carolina so it doesn't make much sense.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
There's no rush right now. We should really see how this season plays out before we start dealing away picks and prospects. Granlund and Ferraro can be dealt at the deadline, unless someone offers a 1st or 2nd for either one at the draft.
Even if we finish 32nd again, which I fully expect us to, I would still rather go into 25-26 and beyond with Necas on the roster at a ~7.5-8M cap hit than whoever we draft with the 14th pick this year, Ferraro or the 2nd we trade him for at the deadline and whichever of our 5th-10th best prospects we need to send to Carolina in the trade. The point of acquiring Necas wouldn't be to improve in the short term but to add a long term piece of the puzzle around Celebrini and Smith.

Except to a team like Carolina so it doesn't make much sense.
We know they like Ferraro and they're probably looking to replenish some of the picks and prospects lost in the Guentzel trade. No one is moving a top pairing defender for Necas' RFA rights so I'm not sure how they can expect to do better than #14 + Ferraro + other stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
Draisaitl is a different kind of player than any of the Leafs. Remember when he speared Chris Tierney in the nuts!! In the playoffs! Got suspended and then came back and then owned us the rest of the series. Handshake line with a shit-eating grin on his face.

Except the league only fined him; there was no suspension. Worst DPS call ever.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We know they like Ferraro and they're probably looking to replenish some of the picks and prospects lost in the Guentzel trade. No one is moving a top pairing defender for Necas' RFA rights so I'm not sure how they can expect to do better than #14 + Ferraro + other stuff.
I don't think we know that but we'll see. I think Carolina is going to prioritize lineup issues that will help them be better now. They need a replacement for Pesce probably more than anything else with Burns getting old and Morrow coming in as a rookie. They're also looking for a real 2C to depend on since Staal is getting too old, Kuznetsov can't be trusted, and Kotkaniemi sucks. They're making a player like Necas available to address those concerns first and foremost and since we don't have that they'll get it somewhere else.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So people want to trade a potential top 10 pick? For someone that will be just on the verge of being to old once we start to compete again.
Not me. For the Sharks, 1st round picks should be used to draft until a #1D is acquired. That's more important than getting another expensive winger you're giving 8 years to.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Even if we finish 32nd again, which I fully expect us to, I would still rather go into 25-26 and beyond with Necas on the roster at a ~7.5-8M cap hit than whoever we draft with the 14th pick this year, Ferraro or the 2nd we trade him for at the deadline and whichever of our 5th-10th best prospects we need to send to Carolina in the trade. The point of acquiring Necas wouldn't be to improve in the short term but to add a long term piece of the puzzle around Celebrini and Smith.
Oddly enough, this is a very Doug Wilson approach to trading and asset usage. Take the known over the "mystery box." I would be all for this if much more of the core was established, but we have 3-4 holes in the top 6 right now, and 0-1 Dmen. Adding a player to the top 6 like Necas when Celebrini, Smith, Eklund and (Musty/whoever) have firmly established their places in the top 6, then that makes sense. Especially when it's harder to fill that role internally, due to development and the timelines of mid to late 1st round picks. As it is right now, I think the Sharks need to focus on drafting really well in the first 2 rounds to fill out their top 9 and all 6 D.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Gotta agree with most of the users, there is no rush and we just came out of a season that we finished 32nd.
Even though we have a very good draft coming up with a guaranteed Celebrini, we still don't know how things go ultimately. It's better to keep your assets and build from within. Free Agency is the only place I would go searching for established players this year. Only time I would use assets to trade for a players is if there is a under 25 year old 1D on the table, and those are never on the table.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If you want to overpay do it in free agency. No reason to spend a first round pick to do it
Can't sign a 25 year old 1st line RW in free agency.

Also we can and should do both. Trade for Necas and overpay a bunch of guys in free agency.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA

Also we can and should do both. Trade for Necas and overpay a bunch of guys in free agency.
That objectively terrible management. Trade future assets (which a rebuilding team needs) & overpay FA's further hampering the future of the team. I'm fine with taking one of these approaches, but to do both is quite literally just Doug Wilson Era 2.0-esque.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If there's a plan in place to get a legitimate 1D to build around and get Necas then I'd be open to it but a 1D this off-season seems unrealistic and we're not going to come close to competitive without a 1D. Spending assets before something like that is realized that could take many years doesn't seem wise when wingers are pretty easy to find.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Oddly enough, this is a very Doug Wilson approach to trading and asset usage. Take the known over the "mystery box."
That kind of thinking is more defendable when you think you're in Cup contention. However, as executed by Doug Wilson, I felt that he was giving up way too many draft picks in that pursuit to the point where he completely decimated his prospect pool, which is something I don't think any hockey franchise should ever ever do. When a team like the Red Wings was still on top back in the Sharks heyday, they still always had young and upcoming talent being added to the mix. And I didn't think much of his cap management.

Personally, I always thought Wilson's never ending chase of the offensive defenseman that would put the Sharks over the top was wrongheaded and that the bigger problem was that they needed more forward talent to augment Marleau and Thornton on both the first and second lines. Despite the fact that the Sharks did finish as the 1 seed in the conference a few times and even made the Cup once, I don't think they were ever really as close as Doug Wilson thought they were and that bore itself out in a lot of playoff series where other teams would just dominate the Sharks.

In the situation the Sharks are in now, they need to keep buying lottery tickets. Hopefully a few of them end up being stars. The ones that don't, hopefully most of them end up being genuine NHL players. That way you build real sustainable depth in your organization and then down the line when the team just needs to fill a hole or two with an impact player, you make a trade or go after a free agent. Right now, the Sharks still need to add a lot of high first round and second round picks. There's no rush for them to be marginally better right now.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If there's a plan in place to get a legitimate 1D to build around and get Necas then I'd be open to it but a 1D this off-season seems unrealistic and we're not going to come close to competitive without a 1D. Spending assets before something like that is realized that could take many years doesn't seem wise when wingers are pretty easy to find.
In the 2026-27 season we will have a 20 year old Celebrini and 21 year old Smith making a combined ~$2 million against the cap before performance bonuses. That will be one of the greatest competitive advantages any team has had in a long time and I don't want us to squander it.

We have our 1C which is typically the most difficult piece of the puzzle to acquire in a rebuild. I would like us to make the playoffs ASAP without being reckless about it (i.e. trading our own 1sts or signing 30+ year olds for more than 3-4 years). Add Necas and maybe DeBrusk and Chris Tanev this offseason. Trade for K'Andre Miller or Noah Dobson next offseason and sign Chychrun, Theodore or Ekblad. You're well on your way to being competitive 2 years from now. We have so much cap space.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That kind of thinking is more defendable when you think you're in Cup contention. However, as executed by Doug Wilson, I felt that he was giving up way too many draft picks in that pursuit to the point where he completely decimated his prospect pool, which is something I don't think any hockey franchise should ever ever do. When a team like the Red Wings was still on top back in the Sharks heyday, they still always had young and upcoming talent being added to the mix. And I didn't think much of his cap management.

Personally, I always thought Wilson's never ending chase of the offensive defenseman that would put the Sharks over the top was wrongheaded and that the bigger problem was that they needed more forward talent to augment Marleau and Thornton on both the first and second lines. Despite the fact that the Sharks did finish as the 1 seed in the conference a few times and even made the Cup once, I don't think they were ever really as close as Doug Wilson thought they were and that bore itself out in a lot of playoff series where other teams would just dominate the Sharks.

In the situation the Sharks are in now, they need to keep buying lottery tickets. Hopefully a few of them end up being stars. The ones that don't, hopefully most of them end up being genuine NHL players. That way you build real sustainable depth in your organization and then down the line when the team just needs to fill a hole or two with an impact player, you make a trade or go after a free agent. Right now, the Sharks still need to add a lot of high first round and second round picks. There's no rush for them to be marginally better right now.
It's kind of funny, but Doug was all about taking big swings. The problem was, when you only target big fish, and those are easy targets, like Boyle, Burns, Heatley, Karlsson, Thornton, you don't need anyone of note in your professional scouting department. Everyone knew those guys were good at the time. On top of that, you are constantly throwing all your picks and prospects at teams to get those big fish, so your amateur scouting department doesn't actually have to be good either. You're not relying on them for anything of consequence anyway. Doug was able to ride the core of Marleau, Thornton, Pavs, Boyle, Burns, Karlsson, Couture, Hertl until they all got old, but when the moment came where, if he wanted to extend that window again by swinging big, he chickened out. That would've been Eichel acquired using the Eklund pick and whatever else was left. I fully expected to see a top 6 of Eichel, Couture, Meier, Hertl, Kane, Labanc/whoever with Karlsson and Burns still on the back end in 2021. When he didn't make the trade for Eichel, and sacrifice the future again, there was no one in the building who had any idea what to do next. With the new regime, I'd prefer they keep one eye on the present, and one on the future. Take the big swings at the right times, but keep the plenty of assets within the organization.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I'm for more draft picks and taking shots especially on defense considering that's our biggest need moving forward and our best chance of addressing it properly for the purposes of our next competitive window is the draft.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
In the 2026-27 season we will have a 20 year old Celebrini and 21 year old Smith making a combined ~$2 million against the cap before performance bonuses. That will be one of the greatest competitive advantages any team has had in a long time and I don't want us to squander it.

We have our 1C which is typically the most difficult piece of the puzzle to acquire in a rebuild. I would like us to make the playoffs ASAP without being reckless about it (i.e. trading our own 1sts or signing 30+ year olds for more than 3-4 years). Add Necas and maybe DeBrusk and Chris Tanev this offseason. Trade for K'Andre Miller or Noah Dobson next offseason and sign Chychrun, Theodore or Ekblad. You're well on your way to being competitive 2 years from now. We have so much cap space.
True but in order to do that, they have to be incredibly aggressive addressing most of the holes in the lineup. The biggest one being who would be their top guy on defense to shoulder most of the load. Out of the names you put out there, only Dobson makes sense to address that and I think that need is so large that not having an answer severely limits a team's ability to compete. We won't have an option but to squander that window if none become available to us.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

That certainly is an aggressive way to add pieces...what are we trading for Dobson? Vegas 1st + a few depth prospects (ie Bordeleau, Gushchin, Lund, Havelid, Haltunnen?)? I don't think the Rangers trade Miller since he's probably their 2nd most important defenseman after Fox. Islanders have Pulock and Pelech signed long-term, and even if they are willing to let Dobson go, is that package enough to get him?

Also, not sure what the point is of signing a 35-year-old Tanev. Don't like that idea. The other players you suggested are mostly (currently) in their mid-late 20s, so I do see the appeal of rolling into 2026-2027 with Celebrini/Smith/Mukh/Eklund each with 2-3 years of NHL time (assuming Celebrini/Smith/Mukh all play this year); Musty, Bystedt, top-3 pick in 2025, and maybe Edstrom joining in 2025-2026, and them being surrounded by some young-ish vets (late 20s-early 30s) in DeBrusk, Necas, Dobson, Ekblad, and Chuchryn (I don't think Vegas lets Theodore walk).

DeBrusk-Celebrini-Necas, Musty-Smith-Eklund, Edstrom-Bystedt-Zetterlund + a top-4 of Mukh-Dobson, Chuchryn-Hensler would certainly be fun to watch.

Reactions: Hodge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad