Speculation: 2023-24 Sharks Roster Discussion

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I think Griffey is perfectly contextualized - he was a great player with the Mariners, albeit not as good as Bonds was, and then his poor conditioning habits caught up to him in Cincinnati and his value cratered. All in all, a top ten center fielder of all time, but he never really had a case for challenging Willie Mays.

That’s just the thing. As someone who was a Bonds fan, I don’t think Bonds was clearly better until Balco, especially if we look beyond just hitting (Bonds was meh as f*** in left field). And one of the benefits of PEDs, especially the designer ones, is greatly improved recovery. So players were bouncing back from injuries in half the time, spending more time on the field through their 30s than their peers.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
That’s just the thing. I don’t think Bonds was clearly better until Balco, especially if we look beyond just hitting (Bonds was meh as f*** in left field). And the benefits of PEDs, especially the designer ones, are greatly improved recovery. So players were bouncing back from injuries in half the time, spending more time on the field through their 30s than their peers.
Bonds was blowing Griffey away at the plate in the 90's, mostly because he could take a walk. Between 1990 and 1998, Griffey's highest OBP was .408; Bonds' lowest was .406. Griffey had a little more home run power, but not much, while Bonds was making far fewer outs and doing just as much with his hits.

Bonds was also more durable, and more impactful on the bases.

Defense is actually kind of a wash because Griffey was a great center fielder when he was young, but you're really underrating Bonds, who was the greatest defensive left fielder of all time and maintained his good defense a lot longer than Griffey did (when he got hurt in Cincinnati, he rapidly turned into an awful fielder).

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Bonds was blowing Griffey away at the plate in the 90's, mostly because he could take a walk. Between 1990 and 1998, Griffey's highest OBP was .408; Bonds' lowest was .406. Griffey had a little more home run power, but not much, while Bonds was making far fewer outs and doing just as much with his hits.

Bonds was also more durable, and more impactful on the bases.

Defense is actually kind of a wash because Griffey was a great center fielder when he was young, but you're really underrating Bonds, who was the greatest defensive left fielder of all time and maintained his good defense a lot longer than Griffey did (when he got hurt in Cincinnati, he rapidly turned into an awful fielder).

Okay, okay, okay. Uncle.

Round 1 and 2 to you, sir.

Can we agree Griffey had the more aestheticly pleasing swing? LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I feel like you'll be hard-pressed to find a left handed power hitter w/o an aesthetically pleasing swing. Both Bonds and Griffey were top notch in that department.
Stan Musial had a very flat swing - I couldn't figure out how he generated any power at all with it.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
60-year-old Barry Bonds on skates for the first time is still probably a better defenseman than Vlasic.
Plus, his head has shrunk down a bit nowadays so he'll likely be able to fit into a hockey helmet and keep it on... That whole "can't play without a bucket" rule in the NHL could've bitten Bonds in the ass otherwise. :sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Stan Musial had a very flat swing - I couldn't figure out how he generated any power at all with it.
Even still with a flat swing on certain pitches, it was still an aesthetically pleasing swing from what I can see from the old film. But even his highlights still show Musial golfing some low balls out of the yard to go along with some short right field porches.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

Bonds is still very active
Kind of fitting the biggest steroid era guy is now active in the sport with the next largest steroid scandal (Lance Armstrong).

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think hes been good for LAs AHL team and coaching Germany internationally to some good games.

Thats a candidate I like a lot, I dont care about a former shark but if Grier has to think like that hes a good pick

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Anyone know about Olofsson as a likely/unlikely Grier reclamation project?

EDIT: it's a maybe, but he's kind of undersized (5'11" and 183, Eklund's size). Would potentially be a Hoffman or Labanc-style upgrade, but not like that moves the needle very much. Pickups like Kostin and Zadina are more in Grier's style - players with skill upside but also learning how to play a complete game, "hard to play against."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad