Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 04.29.2024)

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Do you even need to ask? lol (everyone wants 5’10” forward but if the choice is 5’7” waterbug or 6’7” treetrunk, our more opinionated fanbase is a lot more accepting of the former)
you're speaking somewhat generally but i think the reason why there is more acceptance of smaller skilled players is that there's been a value opportunity there over the last 15 years.

The hope here is that the rangers' zag to this zig is to get big competitive guys who can still skate with the small ones.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
you're speaking somewhat generally but i think the reason why there is more acceptance of smaller skilled players is that there's been a value opportunity there over the last 15 years.

The hope here is that the rangers' zag to this zig is to get big competitive guys who can still skate with the small ones.

The success rate of drafting a small but skilled guy late in the draft is quite low.

This is a bit of generalisation but:

You draft skilled forwards in the first round
You draft defensemen in the second and third round
Then you pick your goalies and depth guys in the latter half of the draft

Reactions: kovazub94

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In general, some of the appeal to smaller guys is that in order to get drafted, the vast moajority of the time, they are putting up points. A guy who is 5'6 probably needs to be at or very close to a ppg in the CHL in order to have a chance to get drafted. A kid who is 6'6 probably hovers around 30-35 points with some finer points like skating and strength and style of play that project well. That's not 'sexy' on draft day.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Oliver Tarnstrom (yes, really) starred in the championship winning game today,
Scored 2 goals in 3-1 victory.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Oliver Tarnstrom (yes, really) starred in the championship winning game today,
Scored 2 goals in 3-1 victory.

Another 2020 Draft pick. Even Evan Vierling is a ppg guy with Wilkes-Barre/ Scranton. Just saying.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

That’s not really my point. Later rounds are crapshoot to begin with no matter who’s picked but the negative reaction to these picks from the fanbase to whom they are 99.99% unfamiliar is ridiculous.

Reactions: E-Train

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Vierling didn't play at all during the COVID season which didn't help his development. A lot of the drafted guys played in the AHL, ECHL, or Europe. Then the next season he was really underwhelming and IIRC he had some injuries. The Rangers didn't see enough to offer an ELC. He had an okay over-age season which wasn't enough to earn an ELC from anyone else, but he did get an AHL deal. He spent most of this season in the ECHL. 7 points in 8 AHL games is nice, but an incredibly small sample. He'll be 22 at the start of next year. Still a chance becomes something, but I wouldn't consider that chance to be great.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Soo Greyhounds lose game 7 3-1 ending their season. BMB scoreless with a spearing penalty at the end of the game.

I'm guessing BMB joins the Wolfpack.

In the eastern conference final #1 Oshawa against #2 North Batalliion with Game 1 Friday.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
In Brynas's last two games against Djurgarden Tarnstrom had a goal and an assist and then two goals. So it wasn't just the last game. He finished strong. My guess is the Rangers won't sign him though but he acquitted himself well in the end. He had a productive SHL playoffs once as well.

Edstrom use to do that where his production would pick up in the playoffs. Edstrom is a physical player. I don't think you can be his size and not be. Even if you're not hitting a lot and Edstrom does hit quite a bit if a player that big is going into the corners or getting to the front of the opposition net he's a load to deal with. Hard to push around, hard to get around, impossible to go through. It's like with Rempe just in his getting to the front of the net is a potential for chaos for the other team. Even of Edstrom doesn't fight he's more than capable of doing the same thing and he's a better, smoother skater than Rempe right now. I can easily see both Adam and Matthew on our team all year next year.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
FYI Larsson's Green Bay facing Henricks Muskegon in USHL playoffs

#2 Muskegon vs. #3 Green Bay
Game 1: Green Bay 4, Muskegon 3 (Saturday, April 20 at 7:10 p.m. EST)
Game 2: Muskegon 4, Green Bay 1 (Sunday, April 21 at 3:10 p.m. EST)
Game 3: Muskegon 2, Green Bay 0 (Tuesday, April 23 at 7:05 p.m. CST)
Game 4*: Muskegon at Green Bay (Wednesday, April 24 at 7:05 p.m. CST)
Game 5*: Green Bay at Muskegon (Friday, April 26 at 7:10 p.m. EST)

Reactions: GAGLine

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Video finally posted. Roobroeck dropped that kid with one shot

I love how the announcers are so pleased that Charlie Hilton was “gonna take care of that.” … Then just went silent for a second or two when Roo dropped him and never acknowledged the TKO. Hahahaha.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
One of Laba's teammates, Gleb Veremyev, is from Sayreville, NJ and grew up a Rangers fan. He is a big forward who was second on the team in goals and points behind Laba.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I hadn't seen a confirmation about Noah Laba staying in school and while this isn't a confirmation it comes close.

If it holds I really don’t like this decision from him.

I guess he wants to chase that chip but not sure how realistic it is. He has nothing left to prove at that level.

Reactions: kovazub94

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
One of Laba's teammates, Gleb Veremyev, is from Sayreville, NJ and grew up a Rangers fan. He is a big forward who was second on the team in goals and points behind Laba.

Plays a tough physical game too and has size. Is he UFA or eligible for the draft this year? Maybe Rangers take a chance on him or a future tryout at prospect camp in June?

Reactions: noncents

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Plays a tough physical game too and has size. Is he UFA or eligible for the draft this year? Maybe Rangers take a chance on him or a future tryout at prospect camp in June?

I've seen him listed in several of the top NCAA UFA lists. It looks like he is going to the Bruins camp.

• Wow
Reactions: RangersFan1994

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I can't recall a player spurning the Rangers. They had things with Umberger and Zidlicky, but those were totally different circumstances (we didn't even draft Umberger). And then the thing with Grubbe was also a weird and unique circumstance. I think we maybe wanted to sign Jan Marek, too, but he didn't want to leave Europe IIRC.

Laba will sign eventually. No reason to believe he won't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad