Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.07.2024)

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Both Providence and Harvard lost tonight ending their conference playoff hopes and I think their seasons. Providence currently is ranked 16 but because conference champions are guaranteed spots in the frozen 16 and two conferences don't have teams ranked in the top 16 only non champion teams in the top 14 can make the playoffs.

So we should know soon if the Rangers plan to sign Chmelar (possible) or Karpa (doubtful).

BC, Minnesota and Colorado should be in the final 16 with Cornell and Omaha on the bubble if they don't win their conference championships.

Reactions: egelband and maris

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Barbashev has been a big disappointment. I doubt he gets signed. It’s a shame. I thought he had NHL potential. Seems like ECHL talent at this point. So sad.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Laba is probably the one prospect in the system besides Perreault that raised his stock the most this season. Good to see.

BMB has disappointed to me. The Rangers already signed him though, right?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
NCAA stats for goalies notoriously unreliable as a predictor of pro success.

I don't see Ollas as a serious NHL prospect but the Rangers have been experimenting with long shot project goalies for decades now trying to turn them into a pro goalie with good coaching. Cam Talbot was obviously the big success story, but we have many failures.
That Sherstykin guy was a pretty good fourth round pick.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
next season is gonna be interesting. I don't know what is best for development but Berard, Othmann, Rempe, and Edstrom could all play in New York. Not saying they will or should but could. Interesting to hear that Othmann isn't quite there even though he's putting up the points.
Good news. Having potentially six forwards or more on elcs would be amazing for roster building.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Laba is probably the one prospect in the system besides Perreault that raised his stock the most this season. Good to see.

I agree in terms of guys not in the pros already. Berard and Rempe (obviously) being guys who elevated their stocks considerably this season in pro hockey.

A guy who quietly has put up a really good season is Brody Lamb. 26 points in 37 games from a Sophomore after 8 in 39 last year. It's not earth-shattering numbers but that's a highly respectable stat-line for a 2nd year player in a very good program.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I agree in terms of guys not in the pros already. Berard and Rempe (obviously) being guys who elevated their stocks considerably this season in pro hockey.

A guy who quietly has put up a really good season is Brody Lamb. 26 points in 37 games from a Sophomore after 8 in 39 last year. It's not earth-shattering numbers but that's a highly respectable stat-line for a 2nd year player in a very good program.

Agreed re: Lamb. And Lamb was always going to be a long-term project. So it's nice to see him up his play so significantly in year 2.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Laba and CC lost 2-1. They are going to have to hope for an at large bid.
This is the up to date status of the nine Rangers' prospects in the NCAA playoffs:

Eliminated:

Merrimack -- Ollas signed

Harvard -- Karpa

Providence -- Chmelar

On the Bubble

Cornell -- Kempf

Colorado -- Laba

Omaha -- Mancini

Cornell gets in if it winds the ECAC conference. If Cornell loses it probably falls just outside the at large cut off.

Colorado needs even more luck. It lost in the NCHC conference playoffs and only can get in with an at large bid. Under the current rankings it is tied with Cornell and St. Cloud for the final possible at large bid. And the last possible bid requires no upsets in the conference playoffs by a team below them in the rankings.

Omaha can still win the NCHC tournament. If it loses its current ranking probably would give it one of the final at large bids.

In

BC -- Perrault and Fortescue

Minnesota -- Lamb

BC can still win the Hockey East championship. If it loses it gets an at large bid.

Minnesota lost in the Big 10 playoffs but its ranking is high enough that it will get an at large bid.

Once a team's season ends players can sign professional contracts.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013

Honestly when I saw BMB had 48 in 50 recently I was happy. He had a rough start to the season, I want to say maybe there was an injury? Someone here would for sure know better than me. 4

I had a similar feeling with him earlier in the year, but he must have turned it on at some point.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
BMB was off to a somewhat slow start. I'd call it more unlucky than slow, but it is what it is.

Then in December he scored a goal and Eric Boulton's kid clobbered him with an elbow to the head after the goal. It was a 10-game suspension for Boulton but BMB missed more like 15 games IIRC.

He came back and was hot but then cooled off. I wasn't really watching at that point to know what happened.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
BMB was off to a somewhat slow start. I'd call it more unlucky than slow, but it is what it is.

Then in December he scored a goal and Eric Boulton's kid clobbered him with an elbow to the head after the goal. It was a 10-game suspension for Boulton but BMB missed more like 15 games IIRC.

He came back and was hot but then cooled off. I wasn't really watching at that point to know what happened.
He has 7 points in his last 7 games, and Beck and/or Hayes were involved in all of them. Even going back to when he came back from injury, it looks like he has played mostly with those two and gotten PP time with them as well.

It's strange that his numbers haven't been better given how well those two are doing, but maybe he's filling more a defensive role on that line and just letting the other two do their thing.

Last year, Soo was one of the worst teams in the OHL. He was counted on to score, similar to Othmann in Flint. This year, they are one of the best, and they have other players to carry the offensive load, similar to Othmann after he was traded to Peterborough.

There isn't always a good correlation between production in the CHL vs higher leagues. Sometimes what works for a player in juniors doesn't work for them in the pros, and they are unable to adjust their game. Sometimes players don't score a lot in juniors, but what they are good at translates very well to the pros, such that they can maintain a relatively similar scoring rate.

Seeing the player in the AHL is always the determining factor for me. Berard is another example of a player whose production dropped in his final year at a lower level, and some were writing him off as a prospect because of it. Yet anyone who has watched Hartford this year agrees that he has been their best player among the legitimate prospects.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
BMB was never projected as an offensive powerhouse but you still prefer to get decent production out of juniors kids.

Still, lots of noise in the data. Brandan Shinnimin would be a superstar otherwise.

Reactions: GAGLine

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
We won't know how it'll play out for a bit but if Laba's season is over he should be signed and report to Hartford ASAP.
Pack already scratching 2 healthy Fs yesterday
if it happens, recall last spring, don't expect him to play much

1710783171195.png

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Pack already scratching 2 healthy Fs yesterday
if it happens, recall last spring, don't expect him to play much

View attachment 837842
We were humming at the end of last year, though. The offense has dried up lately. Petan only has 1 point in 5 games since the trade. Different coach, too. Smith might be more inclined to play Laba.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
This is the up to date status of the nine Rangers' prospects in the NCAA playoffs:

Eliminated:

Merrimack -- Ollas signed

Harvard -- Karpa

Providence -- Chmelar

On the Bubble

Cornell -- Kempf

Colorado -- Laba

Omaha -- Mancini

Cornell gets in if it winds the ECAC conference. If Cornell loses it probably falls just outside the at large cut off.

Colorado needs even more luck. It lost in the NCHC conference playoffs and only can get in with an at large bid. Under the current rankings it is tied with Cornell and St. Cloud for the final possible at large bid. And the last possible bid requires no upsets in the conference playoffs by a team below them in the rankings.

Omaha can still win the NCHC tournament. If it loses its current ranking probably would give it one of the final at large bids.

In

BC -- Perrault and Fortescue

Minnesota -- Lamb

BC can still win the Hockey East championship. If it loses it gets an at large bid.

Minnesota lost in the Big 10 playoffs but its ranking is high enough that it will get an at large bid.

Once a team's season ends players can sign professional contracts.
An update based on a story on the playoff possibilities on the USCHO.com website.

According to this analysis Omaha has a guaranteed spot in the final 16 along with 10 other teams. The winners of the AHA and CCHA playoffs will take two slots leaving only 3 positions open.

Cornell and Colorado are given only a 25% chance of making it. Cornell probably needs to win the ECAC playoff to get in since if the team loses in the conference playoffs its ranking is likely not high enough to get an at large bid. Colorado currently is ranked 14th. If lower ranked teams win the ECAC, Hockey East and NCHC playoffs, those teams will get automatic bids and higher ranked team will get the final three at large bids.

The frozen 16 will be announced this Sunday with the first round of playoffs the following Thursday -- Sunday and the Final four 2 weeks later.

Reactions: GAGLine and cwede

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad