Prospect Info: 2023-2024 Rangers Prospects Thread (Prospect Stats in Post #1; Updated 05.07.2024)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
How much time would the skills coach have even put in with Kakko and Laf, who have been Rangers since the day they got drafted?

He is a great person to use as an excuse for them being flops though.
Except they're not flops, they're average to decent players who will hopefully continue to improve. They'd be flops if they put up Lundmark numbers.

And a Skills Coach's job is to...spend time with players and work on skills. Other teams have players who get better all the time. Look at Tampa. LA with Kempe as an example. Verhage in Florida.

The faceoff issue and lack of shooting has plagued this team since he's been here.

He's not the entire problem. There is no one that can say he is actually good though.

Let's see Cullye come into camp and improve his stickhandling. Let's see him work with the prospects at rookie camp in a few weeks and finally take it to the Flyers for their rookie squad games.

He makes people laugh according to Chris Kreider. So he's Jessica Rabbit. Wonderful.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How much time would the skills coach have even put in with Kakko and Laf, who have been Rangers since the day they got drafted?

He is a great person to use as an excuse for them being flops though.
Seriously, I mentioned this in a separate thread but prior to this off-season I had seen him mentioned a small handful of times. This off-season it's like he's this f***ing anchor around the organization's neck and he has to go. I actually had to look him up a couple months ago to remind myself who he was.

This guy lasts through several administrations and yet we fire the trainer and it's a crime against humanity.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Kravstov was a bad pick, The Rangers fell in love with him because of a playoffs and didn't do their HW on his lack of emotional intelligence. Ciaccao here long before though.

He's been here about a decade and the facts are that no one really broke out while he's here says a lot.

No Ardvidsson or young guys who just come in and score 30 goals. Every other team has has one.

And we all watched the video of him "coaching" Howden, it was atrocious.

He's not the entire problem. He's not helping or doing anything good though.
Honestly I did not see that video, so I will take your word. As I said, I’m cool with switching things up.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Except they're not flops, they're average to decent players who will hopefully continue to improve. They'd be flops if they put up Lundmark numbers.

And a Skills Coach's job is to...spend time with players and work on skills. Other teams have players who get better all the time. Look at Tampa. LA with Kempe as an example. Verhage in Florida.

The faceoff issue and lack of shooting has plagued this team since he's been here.

He's not the entire problem. There is no one that can say he is actually good though.

Let's see Cullye come into camp and improve his stickhandling. Let's see him work with the prospects at rookie camp in a few weeks and finally take it to the Flyers for their rookie squad games.

He makes people laugh according to Chris Kreider. So he's Jessica Rabbit. Wonderful.

Does he get credit for Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Chytil, shit, even Mika was given up on by Ottawa, and became a 1C here?

We (fans) have no idea what he does and doesn't do, who he works with, how much time he's spending with players.

Kakko and Laf have absolutely been flops in terms of production compared to their draft pick number. It's okay to put blame on them as players, we don't have to go looking for a million other reasons, at some point it falls on the player.

Reactions: Barnaby

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Does he get credit for Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Chytil, shit, even Mika was given up on by Ottawa, and became a 1C here?

We (fans) have no idea what he does and doesn't do, who he works with, how much time he's spending with players.

Kakko and Laf have absolutely been flops in terms of production compared to their draft pick number. It's okay to put blame on them as players, we don't have to go looking for a million other reasons, at some point it falls on the player.

They've been pretty good at drafting and finding DMen and Goalies since the NHL Reboot in 2005-06. Forwards in the last number of years has been an issue.

It's not only Kakko and LaF being OK and slowly improving. Where is the Rangers version of an Ardvidson, Debrincat, Verhage, Kempe, Bratt? You'd figure they'd find one will all these picks. Even one who can do what Callahan did 10-12 years ago.

Can Cullye or Othmann come in and score 20+ goals next season? Can Edstrom steal a spot and be some Hagelin/Dwight King hybrid?

This is my issue with him AND the organization.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This guy lasts through several administrations and yet we fire the trainer and it's a crime against humanity.

Are you referring to Jim Ramsey? Because I always thought the overreaction from the fanbase as a whole was weird. Does anyone really know what Jim Ramsey does day-to-day? Does anyone even have the information handy to determine whether or not he does a good job?

Sure, he was here for 29 years, but in the Rangers organisation, long tenure is not a sign of good performance. I simply don't know whether or not he did a good job. But he fascination the fanbase has with him is odd.

Reactions: Barnaby and nyr2k2

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Are you referring to Jim Ramsey? Because I always thought the overreaction from the fanbase as a whole was weird. Does anyone really know what Jim Ramsey does day-to-day? Does anyone even have the information handy to determine whether or not he does a good job?

Sure, he was here for 29 years, but in the Rangers organisation, long tenure is not a sign of good performance. I simply don't know whether or not he did a good job. But he fascination the fanbase has with him is odd.
The MSG broadcast crew usually bragged him up every time he stepped on the ice or when an injury happened and they would pan the cams at him on the bench and the praise for him would start ......that is likely why so many fans thought a lot of him . LOL,very rarely does the stickboy get that fame .

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I’m certainly not married to the skills coach, but I think everyone is talking out of their ass about him. I haven’t heard a single concrete thing he has done wrong or badly. I get the take of “I don’t see the results” and that is fine, let’s try someone else, but to say he’s THE problem just seems like scapegoating without any real facts to back it up.
Everyone’s to blame, but the players themselves…

I’m all for trying new things, but talk about a reach…

Kravstov was a bad pick, The Rangers fell in love with him because of a playoffs and didn't do their HW on his lack of emotional intelligence. Ciaccao here long before though.

He's been here about a decade and the facts are that no one really broke out while he's here says a lot.

No Ardvidsson or young guys who just come in and score 30 goals. Every other team has has one.

And we all watched the video of him "coaching" Howden, it was atrocious.

He's not the entire problem. He's not helping or doing anything good though.
Huh, so that’s why Laf hasn’t pitted 50 yet. The skills coach hasn’t taught him how to shoot yet…

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Huh, so that’s why Laf hasn’t pitted 50 yet. The skills coach hasn’t taught him how to shoot yet…
Yeah, I mean, I'm sure the skills coach serves a legitimate purpose, or else all the teams wouldn't have one, but the idea that the skills coach plays some integral role in whether a guy stagnates as a third liner or blossoms into a 30-plus-goal star player seems...outlandish, to me.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

Let's start with 25+ first. The Skill's Coach should look at those moves he made against New Jersey his rookie year, Detroit in 2021-22 (which was on a national commercial), and Calgary this year and encourage and work on those kind of maneuvers from a balance and strength perspective.

The skills coach should be drilling into his head to shoot from anywhere and everywhere on the ice by muscle memory repetition. Remember the drill St. Louis used to do when he was here?

The skills coach should show him video of why his passes are too slow and soft and work on exercises, stick movements, and analyze his technique with him so he's aware of how to improve.

A skills coach isn't going to turn someone from PA Parenteau into Wayne Gretzky, but can help a player improve.

My HS track coach worked on my running stride with me. Some better techniques for explosiveness and posture.

Reactions: Kords

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Let's start with 25+ first. The Skill's Coach should look at those moves he made against New Jersey his rookie year, Detroit in 2021-22 (which was on a national commercial), and Calgary this year and encourage and work on those kind of maneuvers from a balance and strength perspective.

The skills coach should be drilling into his head to shoot from anywhere and everywhere on the ice by muscle memory repetition. Remember the drill St. Louis used to do when he was here?

The skills coach should show him video of why his passes are too slow and soft and work on exercises, stick movements, and analyze his technique with him so he's aware of how to improve.

A skills coach isn't going to turn someone from PA Parenteau into Wayne Gretzky, but can help a player improve.

My HS track coach worked on my running stride with me. Some better techniques for explosiveness and posture.
This is so completely out of your rear end. You don’t know what he does or doesn’t do. I’m sure these guys do video work. Lafreniere’s problem now is the skills coach doesn’t tell him not to make poor moves against NJ? He doesn’t say passing harder and faster is a good idea? No coach on the staff points it out to him? He’s also about a 50/50 goal vs assist guy. Now we are telling him to shoot anywhere and everywhere completely changing his game? As if 2 or 3 more goals squeak through and he’ll get 15 more EA experience points.

Just stop, this is so ridiculous. Maybe this guy is great at his job and the player is flawed. Maybe he’s been there awhile because he has photos of Dolan. Maybe Gallant gave him too much responsibility or not enough. Maybe he runs drills. Maybe Gallant had someone else running drills. Maybe they just drafted poorly. Drury has shown he’s not afraid to fire long term employees. That’s not to say I love all of his decisions, but if Drury thought the skills coach was a glaring issue then he’d get someone else. Maybe one of their past coaches would’ve noticed this glaring issue and fixed it.

It’s overblown, but I get not liking a particular system or preferring alternate lines or even deployment. Should a guy be brought up or stay in the minors longer, sent down etc… Blaming some behind the scenes minor coach when we don’t know what’s going on is just wacky.

Last edited:

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

just one of those guys who's been a staple around the team. players have always loved him and mentioned him fairly often. honestly though, if anything, think it was the way it was done that led to the reaction. just a tweet he was gone with no detail. while that may have actually been in his best interest, it came at the expense of the org which looked cold and unappreciative.

hard to know how good he was at his job - i mean the team has thankfully been fairly lucky with injuries the last few years but most of that is both preventative work and luck, neither of which he has anything to do with. one thing that would suggest he's pretty respected for his work is team canada having him on their staff for what that's worth.

heard there was something done that led to this hockey related, also heard had nothing to do with hockey. not sure which is true

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
just one of those guys who's been a staple around the team. players have always loved him and mentioned him fairly often. honestly though, if anything, think it was the way it was done that led to the reaction. just a tweet he was gone with no detail. while that may have actually been in his best interest, it came at the expense of the org which looked cold and unappreciative.

hard to know how good he was at his job - i mean the team has thankfully been fairly lucky with injuries the last few years but most of that is both preventative work and luck, neither of which he has anything to do with. one thing that would suggest he's pretty respected for his work is team canada having him on their staff for what that's worth.

heard there was something done that led to this hockey related, also heard had nothing to do with hockey. not sure which is true

I've heard differing stories but none of them I was able to really confirm. About Ramsey leaking information to reporters, and how Ramsey is responsible for the cap crunch we were in late in the season due to how the Lindgren situation was handled.

I guess we will find out years from now when someone shares the story after leaving the organisation.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

The way the season ended after making a long run the year before was disappointing and I think that speaks to much of the fanbase looking for heads to roll. You need your best players (or at least most of them) to be your best players come the playoffs and that didn't happen this year. Maybe too many chiefs and not enough Indians. The entire team at least to my eyes didn't take a step back though---although maybe not as much as we would have liked still Lafreniere and Kakko continued to make progress. Miller got better. It's also not odd for a big year one year to turn into a disappointment the next. Sometimes a team has to take a step back to take a step forward again. Also I don't think we always give our competition enough credit. I don't like the Devils but they've become a formidable team again. If Mika, Artemi and Adam had played better though we'd probably have beat them.

As far as Ramsey I always assumed he was good at what he did if only because Team Canada was always grabbing him for the Olympics.

Reactions: Barnaby

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I don't know if our skills coaching has been a problem, but it does seem suspect that we can't seem to develop offensively talented forwards. There's a pretty healthy sample size to indicate this is not an aberration.

Now, I'm not going to point the finger at any one member of the organization. But I will say this: "rich" teams like the Rangers should be utilizing any advantage their extra capital can offer. There are so many ways to bring your financial might to bear outside of the cap. Whether it's more staff (video coaches, skating/shooting/faceoff/any other skill coaches, nutritionists, sports medicine doctors, sports psychologists, lifestyle coaches, developmental coaches, childcare, etc.), better facilities, or any other thing money can buy to give your players an edge, should be on the table.

I'm not saying we don't already do this. But if I'm Drury, as president of the club, I'm using an "all of the above" approach to make sure my players want for nothing in regards to their development.

Reactions: UnSandvich

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I've heard differing stories but none of them I was able to really confirm. About Ramsey leaking information to reporters, and how Ramsey is responsible for the cap crunch we were in late in the season due to how the Lindgren situation was handled.

I guess we will find out years from now when someone shares the story after leaving the organisation.

more or less what i heard as well as how the kane situation was handled...i can't make heads or tails of drury though. not sure if he is always pointing fingers or if there's true accountability in his decisions. has gone through an awful lot of people in a not very significant amount of time, and never has anything to say to anyone about anything. 2 years in, hard to argue we're in worse shape than when he took over, but hard to argue we're really any better situated in terms of current and future org outlook either.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
more or less what i heard as well as how the kane situation was handled...i can't make heads or tails of drury though. not sure if he is always pointing fingers or if there's true accountability in his decisions. has gone through an awful lot of people in a not very significant amount of time, and never has anything to say to anyone about anything. 2 years in, hard to argue we're in worse shape than when he took over, but hard to argue we're really any better situated in terms of current and future org outlook either.

I remember when I ran into Drury at the 2019 draft in Vancouver and he said he doesn't like talking in public. He doesn't like being in front of the camera.

He's a very quiet GM. You won't see him be vocal about his decisions the way other GMs are. That's just not who he is.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
I remember when I ran into Drury at the 2019 draft in Vancouver and he said he doesn't like talking in public. He doesn't like being in front of the camera.

He's a very quiet GM. You won't see him be vocal about his decisions the way other GMs are. That's just not who he is.

don't have any problem with that, i can relate. but it's made him tough to get a read on as far as who he is and how he thinks. the total overhaul of the front office and now 2nd coach in 2 years as well as ramsey is a lot of turnover. his calls to make, but that's the easy part. the hard part is bringing in the right people to replace them, hasn't been enough time to know yet though - haven't seen anything great, but nothing terrible either.

also have never understood the almost complete lockdown of players speaking publicly outside of the rangers media platforms.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
NYR draftee Maxim Barbashev to be traded by Moncton to Shawinigan when the next QMJHL trade period opens in August. Moncton still rebuilding; Shawinigan closer to going for it:

Hope this move makes him a better player. I just hope rhat he wants to be here and not ask for a trade like Jayden Grubbe.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Drury has fired just about everyone else he inherited. If Ciaccio was a problem, he would have been whacked a long time ago.

Hope this move makes him a better player. I just hope rhat he wants to be here and not ask for a trade like Jayden Grubbe.
I’m pretty certain Grubbe didn’t ask for a trade @Amazing Kreiderman

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Drury has fired just about everyone else he inherited. If Ciaccio was a problem, he would have been whacked a long time ago.

I’m pretty certain Grubbe didn’t ask for a trade @Amazing Kreiderman

Course of events was that Drury told Grubbe they were not offering him a contract. Then Grubbe requested a trade.

In April Drury offered an ELC but Grubbe didn't rescind the request. That's when a trade was facilitated.

Grubbe had every intention to sign with the Rangers but you can't blame him for the course of events following the initial decision to not sign him.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Don't remember ever hearing Grubbe had asked for a trade. All I ever heard was speculation of why Drury wasn't going to sign him....Drury hardly ever opens up on anything yet some people continued to persist in giving life to this idea that Grubbe didn't want to sign with the Rangers.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Don't remember ever hearing Grubbe had asked for a trade. All I ever heard was speculation of why Drury wasn't going to sign him....Drury hardly ever opens up on anything yet some people continued to persist in giving life to this idea that Grubbe didn't want to sign with the Rangers.

Yeah, and that's just not true. Grubbe had every intention to sign and if Drury had offered him an ELC earlier in the year, he would have gladly signed it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00