NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs - Devils to hire Sheldon Keefe as head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Lots of victory laps on the playoff board and main board over the pettiness of the Canes' offer sheet and childish tweets when they poached Kotkaniemi. Some are saying the money they wasted on him could've been used to retain Trochek.

I don't dislike the Canes as much as I used to; though I thought the storm surges were idiotic (SO thankful they didn't become a norm in the NHL), and found their Twitter feed bush-league. And that trolling signing $20 signing bonus?

The whole fiasco was as juvenile as the storm surges.

All for one point in eleven playoff games. And it's not as if they didn't know. Kotkaniemi was a frequent healthy scratch during the Habs' 2021 Cup run.

Classic case of cutting of your nose to spite your face.

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Someone mentioned Necas as a Free Agent option, I think? If so, sign me up. I really like his game.
He's a less talented Pasta. You only notice him turning the puck over if he isn't scoring... there's a reason the Canes might not keep him. He has his moments, but they're less frequent than it seems

Though, maybe with our forward talent... haha

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It was Masco before he went to PA. I forget who exactly was coach at the time, there was a couple of switches as there was some "mmmm" issues with one of the coaches and a female student, it wasnt good but I forget if that was before or after Kreider.

Yes Masco.

I knew it was one of those regional eastern MA schools.

And, my friend definitely wasn’t the one involved with the female student.

Lol.

Reactions: mar2kbos

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Lots of victory laps on the playoff board and main board over the pettiness of the Canes' offer sheet and childish tweets when they poached Kotkaniemi. Some are saying the money they wasted on him could've been used to retain Trochek.

I don't dislike the Canes as much as I used to; though I thought the storm surges were idiotic (SO thankful they didn't become a norm in the NHL), and found their Twitter feed bush-league. And that trolling signing $20 signing bonus?

The whole fiasco was as juvenile as the storm surges.

All for one point in eleven playoff games. And it's not as if they didn't know. Kotkaniemi was a frequent healthy scratch during the Habs' 2021 Cup run.

Classic case of cutting of your nose to spite your face.

Kotkaniemi's whole story has been odd. Clearly a talented kid, but the Habs taking him at 3 was a slight reach and probably higher than he had earned - us Bruins fans can be thankful that they passed up Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes! After that he made a fairly solid start to his NHL career, without being amazing. Nothing about him screamed 'must have player'. But Carolina went after him anyway. $6 mil was absurd but it was only one year so no real harm done.

But then to extend a guy who really still hadn't really proven himself for 8 years at a shade under $5 mil p.a. was just bizarre. Ok the cap hit's not huge but that's a whole lot of term. To me that was the weirder and perhaps in the long run more damaging decision rather than the offer sheet. Kotkaniemi's an ok player but I'm not seeing more than that. He lacks grit and any sort of physical presence and he's not fast or talented enough to get away with being a pure skill player. Never been quite sure what Carolina's fascination is with him. Because he debuted so young it's easy to forget he's still only 23, so he may have some progression left to come, but that's very much speculative.

All that said, the Canes lost to the Rangers due to goaltending well and truly above all else, with special teams play a distant second. 5v5 they had more shots, more high danger chances, and a slight edge in xGF. Wouldn't say they clearly deserved to win but the players didn't do too much wrong either, apart from that horrendous 3rd-period collapse that sealed their fate. So maybe redirecting some of Kotkaniemi's cap hit might have helped with landing a better netminder, but it's a position the Canes haven't prioritized enough for quite some time for reasons that seem to go beyond a few dollars here or there. Perhaps this will finally wake them up to the fact.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Kotkaniemi's whole story has been odd. Clearly a talented kid, but the Habs taking him at 3 was a slight reach and probably higher than he had earned - us Bruins fans can be thankful that they passed up Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes! After that he made a fairly solid start to his NHL career, without being amazing. Nothing about him screamed 'must have player'. But Carolina went after him anyway. $6 mil was absurd but it was only one year so no real harm done.

But then to extend a guy who really still hadn't really proven himself for 8 years at a shade under $5 mil p.a. was just bizarre. Ok the cap hit's not huge but that's a whole lot of term. To me that was the weirder and perhaps in the long run more damaging decision rather than the offer sheet. Kotkaniemi's an ok player but I'm not seeing more than that. He lacks grit and any sort of physical presence and he's not fast or talented enough to get away with being a pure skill player. Never been quite sure what Carolina's fascination is with him. Because he debuted so young it's easy to forget he's still only 23, so he may have some progression left to come, but that's very much speculative.

All that said, the Canes lost to the Rangers due to goaltending well and truly above all else, with special teams play a distant second. 5v5 they had more shots, more high danger chances, and a slight edge in xGF. Wouldn't say they clearly deserved to win but the players didn't do too much wrong either, apart from that horrendous 3rd-period collapse that sealed their fate. So maybe redirecting some of Kotkaniemi's cap hit might have helped with landing a better netminder, but it's a position the Canes haven't prioritized enough for quite some time for reasons that seem to go beyond a few dollars here or there. Perhaps this will finally wake them up to the fact.

Fine…twist my arm…

Aho for Ullmark and Lysell

😂

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Honestly, he leaves his feet. If they called interference, I doubt anyone bats an eye.

Okay to call penalty, complete wrong penalty to call
I'd bat an eye; two, in fact. Foegele initiated contact and the contact occurred within seconds of possession, thus it wasn't interference.

Here's the rule: 42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner. Charging shall mean the actions of any player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner.

The leaving his feet argument is an incredibly narrow interpretation of the rule. Petterson doesn't jump into Foegele. He jumps up. Foegele skates into him. Meanwhile, players like Jacob Trouba are taking flying leaps with no penalties being called.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I'd bat an eye; two, in fact. Foegele initiated contact and the contact occurred within seconds of possession, thus it wasn't interference.

Here's the rule: 42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates, jumps into or charges an opponent in any manner. Charging shall mean the actions of any player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner.

The leaving his feet argument is an incredibly narrow interpretation of the rule. Petterson doesn't jump into Foegele. He jumps up. Foegele skates into him. Meanwhile, players like Jacob Trouba are taking flying leaps with no penalties being called.
Yeah, the jumping feet leaving ice aspect is probably why they classified it as a charge. But he also impeded the forward progress of the opposing player, so pick one.
It's all done and over with now so it really doesn't matter in the long run. And we all know what we think about the refereeing officiating overall.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Canes remind me a bit of those Shark teams when they were strong regular season and outside, I think one final, just could never get it done.

Rod B Amour , when I listen to those in the biz, they make it sound like he`s a terrific coach but I don`t see it. I see a guy whose had some pretty talented teams who fall short yearly

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Tbf they see they are gonna have to get passed both Florida, Boston and NYR to get to the final and even Boston knows they need to get tougher. Smart move at recognizing the division and conference opponents and going for the culture change. It sucks but if the players there buy into the hard ass way of Berube they might be a real threat.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
4 th line JVR has me on fence.

Tbf they see they are gonna have to get passed both Florida, Boston and NYR to get to the final and even Boston knows they need to get tougher. Smart move at recognizing the division and conference opponents and going for the culture change. It sucks but if the players there buy into the hard ass way of Berube they might be a real threat.
Marner days prob over bringing in coach like him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad