2023/2024 IIHF Continental Cup

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The Continental Cup kicks off today with the first round.

Group A is played in Jaca, Spain. Turkish side Buz Adam GSK had to withdraw due to visa issues. But there could be more behind it as the club posted on their Instagram a rather salty statement towards the IIHF and the Spanish hosts.

So only 3 teams will play for the top spot. CH Jaca and Liege Bulldogs (BEL) should be the one contending for it. SC Irbis-Skate Sofia (BUL) seems a lot weaker than their opponents. Barca Hockey Gel will also be present as a replacement to the Turkish team but cannot win the qualification for the second round.

Group B is staged in Kaunas, Lithuania. Kaunas City and HC Panter Tallinn (EST) from the OHL/Baltic League are the favorites, . KHL Zagreb (CRO) and Skataufélag Reykjavikur (ISL) are the other two participants but I doubt they really have a chance.

All games are streamed live on YouTube

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Group A

The game between Jaca and Liege had to be suspended after the first period due to ice issues (aka a hole). The game will be replayed in its entirety on Sunday with the other games being cancelled. The winner will therefore earn qualification for the next round.

On Friday, Jaca had trashed Irbis-Skate 15-2.

Group B

Kaunas has already secured top spot after beating Panter 9-4 on Saturday. The game was pretty even but the Lithuanians were able to run up the score in the last period.

KHL Zagreb won 5-3 Skautafélag Reykjavikur and assured themselves a 3rd place finish

Games on Friday were also pretty one-sided with Panter winning 14-0 against the Icelandics and Kaunas 11-0 over Zagreb.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Zagreb managed to play a close game against Panter, at least. A win for them in my book. Overall, expected Panter to be good bit stronger based on their roster but I guess the credit also has to go to Kaunas who are really starting to approach the, albeit the very lowest level but nevertheless, actual semi-pro hockey.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
I wouldn't say Panter was necessarily that far off but once qualification was gone, they didn't push themselves. Still kudos to Zagreb.

Kaunas will now go on to Belgrade, Serbia next month. They will face Crvena Zvezda (SRB), Sokil Kyiv (UKR) and Ferencvárosi TC (HUN).

Liège won over Jaca 6-1. This is now the sole game listed on the IIHF website for Group A. Needless to say, a tournament to forget for the organisation.

The Bulldogs will travel to Jelgava, Latvia. Group C includs CSM Corona Braşov (ROU), HK Zemgale (LAT) and HK Celje (SLO).

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Crvena Zvezda leading 1-0 and outshooting Sokil Kyiv after the first 20. A bit of a surprise.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Yeah I suppose that those two teams should be head and shoulders above the competition in this tournament but it doesn’t always work that way…

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah I suppose that those two teams should be head and shoulders above the competition in this tournament but it doesn’t always work that way…
Well since Kaunas beat Sokil 5-1 I feel it's safe to say the way you imagine things isn't really based on reality.

Sokil is a semi pro team. They were beaten badly in a head-to-head against another fairly reasonable semi pro team in what should have been a 50/50 game and never stood a chance against actual pro team in Ferencvaros. The level you consider Sokil to be at is pretty detached from reality.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Well since Kaunas beat Sokil 5-1 I feel it's safe to say the way you imagine things isn't really based on reality.

Sokil is a semi pro team. They were beaten badly in a head-to-head against another fairly reasonable semi pro team in what should have been a 50/50 game and never stood a chance against actual pro team in Ferencvaros. The level you consider Sokil to be at is pretty detached from reality.
Well based on this last post, I think that Sokil could easily wax the 1976-77 Montreal Canadiens….

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
The Finals are on this weekend. The Cardiff Devils (GBR) are hosting Nomad Astana (KAZ), GKS Katowice (POL) and Herning Blue Fox (DEN).

Games are streamed live on Facebook.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad