Prospect Info: 2023 136 pick Cagnoni

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Watched it a few times, feels Thornton-to-Cheechoo-esque with some Korky dangles mixed in. Mini-Ozo?
1693795534251.png

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
His execution on this move is by far the smoothest I've seen from anyone doing it. He does it at the speed of a wrap around. The fact that a defensemen can do this makes me think in 5-10 years we will be seeing multiple of these a week in the NHL. Kids are learning to do it younger and developing it way further than what it traditionally has been. If you can do this, there is no reason to do a wrap around which basically never goes in. The way to defend it is more pressure from your net front defense on the post, but that will likely leave slot forwards uncovered.

For sure, this is the take. The puck skills and athleticism of the "kids these days" are bonkers. If a non-first-rounder undersized defenseman prospect can casually do this in a low intensity environment, then the best players will for sure be able to pull it off much more commonly. There are Michkov videos of him training it in practice. I'm sure it's happening everywhere.

Reminds me of tip-ins 30 years ago vs. the Pavs era and today... Pavs (and others) regularly make tips from the slot that would have been absolutely insane back in the 90's.

Edit: no shade on Luca, seems like an awesome dude and an exciting high-skill, high-energy prospect. I don't think any of these videos make me more excited about him though -- looks like men's league out there, not super high level.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
For sure, this is the take. The puck skills and athleticism of the "kids these days" are bonkers. If a non-first-rounder undersized defenseman prospect can casually do this in a low intensity environment, then the best players will for sure be able to pull it off much more commonly. There are Michkov videos of him training it in practice. I'm sure it's happening everywhere.

Reminds me of tip-ins 30 years ago vs. the Pavs era and today... Pavs (and others) regularly make tips from the slot that would have been absolutely insane back in the 90's.

Edit: no shade on Luca, seems like an awesome dude and an exciting high-skill, high-energy prospect. I don't think any of these videos make me more excited about him though -- looks like men's league out there, not super high level.

It might be because hockey is still nascent here, but the kids here have so much puck and skating skills, but they have absolutely no idea how to play hockey. They want to dangle and be the hero, often passing up open skating lanes to deke defenders. The simple concept of give-and-go is absent too.

Again might be a coaching/exposure thing but it's so noticeable

Reactions: landshark

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
It might be because hockey is still nascent here, but the kids here have so much puck and skating skills, but they have absolutely no idea how to play hockey. They want to dangle and be the hero, often passing up open skating lanes to deke defenders. The simple concept of give-and-go is absent too.

Again might be a coaching/exposure thing but it's so noticeable
Where's "here"? And absolutely, this is a problem across sports. Just look at all the insane trick shot artists in basketball, the jugglers/hustlers/street ballers in soccer/football... turns out to get to the NHL you need to have hockey smarts, athleticism, work ethic, ability to learn and change your style, AND insane skills... but still... these skills are getting more common, so there will be more and more players that have "it all" and can pull "it" off in games.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Where's "here"? And absolutely, this is a problem across sports. Just look at all the insane trick shot artists in basketball, the jugglers/hustlers/street ballers in soccer/football... turns out to get to the NHL you need to have hockey smarts, athleticism, work ethic, ability to learn and change your style, AND insane skills... but still... these skills are getting more common, so there will be more and more players that have "it all" and can pull "it" off in games.
There will also be more people who can stop "it all" in games.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Thailand

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
There will also be more people who can stop "it all" in games.
Yep! The talent level is increasing across the board. I'm not saying every goal scored is a michigan or even that we'll see them all the time, but we will definitely see them more often than we currently do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad