NHL Entry Draft: 2022 NHL mock draft with comparisons

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
2022 NHL mock draft (with short write up & comparisons)
For my second draft write up, I tried my best to adjust my comparisons to be more accurate as to the players actual NHL counterpart. This is both a stylistic and skill level comparison and what I see the players ending up as in a few years. Rankings were arbitrary based off current rankings (I gave montreal first because I am a fan and because I don't like Arizona's current strategy + the draft is in Montreal ...) All for fun, let me know your thoughts and enjoy!

1. Montreal Canadiens – Shane Wright – C What is left to say that hasn’t already been said? Wright’s place as the top selection in the 2022 draft has been set in stone for a few years now. He’s a big body that can absolutely wire the puck while playing a heady and mature two-way game. He skates well, overpowers defenders with ease and can finish with the best of them. Projects as a top 15 NHL center. Those don’t fall past 1st overall and this year is no different.
NHL comparison: Elite, two-way goal scoring center – Jonathan Toews

2. Arizona Coyotes – Joakim Kemmel – RW
My personal favorite player in the draft – An exhilarating offensive weapon. His transition game is first rate and he loves having the puck on his stick. He has that effortlessness to his game where he doesn’t seem to have any special ability in the offensive zone, yet he scores and makes plays almost at will. He’s currently challenging Alexander Barkov’s record for the best U18 season in the Liiga. He carves up defenses and is always one step ahead of the competition. Let’s see how he ends the season.
NHL comparison: High-end, top line scoring winger – David Pastrnak

3. Ottawa Senators – Simon Nemec – D
We’ve seen him perform against his peers and against men. He can be described the same in both situations: Smooth. Nemec plays with poise that is unheard of out of any other defensemen in this draft. He keeps tight gaps, can man the point on the PP and also help transition the puck up ice. I find that my ranking may be a bit high as some of the players under have higher upside, but I think Nemec is one of the safest bets to turn into an elite two way number 2 to play alongside a more offensive 1D. His floor is very high.
NHL comparison: Fantastic, steady, top pair defensemen – Jaccob Slavin

4. Seattle Kraken – Logan Cooley – C Energetic, high-powered center that can drive a line himself. He has constantly shown up as the best of the stacked USNTDP 2004 class and that has been due to consistent production and level of play. He will outsmart and outwork you, only to then burn past you with his fantastic skating. He can turn on the burners at a moments notice then flip on a dime to make an unexpected pass. He is great at everything.
NHL comparison: Quality, nimble offensive center – Dylan Larkin

5. Columbus Blue Jackets – Matthew Savoie – C/RW
Unpredictable, full fledged offensive winger (I see him playing wing in the big leagues) Savoie keeps defensemen and goalies guessing as his offensive toolkit and creativity is so high. He uses feints and fakes to regularly break ankles. What stands out above it all is that you can see that Savoie is hungry, which helps us look past his slight 5’9” frame. The skill here is undeniable and with the way things are trending in the big leagues, more wiry skilled forwards are making a name for themselves and Savoie is the best of the bunch.
NHL comparison: Dynamic, all offense top 6 forward – William Nylander

6. Vancouver Canucks – Danila Yurov – C
His toolkit is full of what you want to see in a young player. He has a high hockey IQ, a solid frame and the work-rate that will endear him to coaches. He plays the game at a high pace and will jump on defensive breakdowns to make the opposing team pay. It was a tough call between Yurov and Miroshnichenko but I decided to have Yurov go higher as a believe he is almost guaranteed to have a great NHL career.
NHL comparison: Heady, talented all around top 6 center – Nick Suzuki

7. Dallas Stars – Ivan Miroshnichenko – RW
A bulldog of a winger that comes at you with the intensity of a fighter jet. Miroshnichenko’s name might be complicated to pronounce but there’s nothing complicated about his game. One of those wingers that plays an east-west game as well as he does a north-south one. He brings every element you want in a top 6 winger and he has shown to compliment skilled players extremely well as a pass shoot option. Potential is very high.
NHL comparison: Immensely skilled scoring winger – Alexander Radulov

8. Pittsburgh Penguins - Brad Lambert – C
Puck magnet who looked to be challenging for a top 3 spot until this year. His production has hit a ceiling and even regressed a bit, which is the reason for the drop in rankings. Don’t get it twisted though. Lambert is one of the most dangerous players in this draft with the puck on his stick. Mix that with + level skating and you have an electric player. His edges are fantastic and he can turn on a dime. I believe he has a bit more boom or bust potential than his peers but someone may end up very, very happy if he drops this low.
NHL comparison: Fleet-footed, electric offensive center – Matthew Barzal

9. Buffalo Sabres – Juraj Slavkovsky – LW
6’4” – 225 lbs 17 year old… how many of those do you know? If the answer is none then meet Slavkovsky. The Slovakian winger mixes silky smooth mitts with a wide array of shooting options to keep defenders guessing. He regularly wins 1 on 1’s by powering through defenders or even deking past them. I have him a little lower than most as I again see a player that was dominating vs much smaller competition, however his skill is too hard to ignore.
NHL comparison: Heavy, versatile two-way forward – Brock Nelson

10. San Jose Sharks - David Jiricek - D
The second highest ranked defender in this draft – Jiricek is a sturdy back end presence at 6’3” and his play style is reminiscent of the throwback, aggressive style of play that we found in the game 20 years ago. Not only that, but he moves well for a kid his size and can also provide a fair bit of offensive production.
NHL comparison: Rock-solid, quality 2-3D – Jake Muzzin

11. Arizona Coyotes – Frank Nazar – RW
Above average, the best way to describe Nazar. He can skate, shoot, pass, play defense and get on opponent’s nerves. What brings all of this together is his ability to function under pressure and execute plays at a high level despite the intensity level of a game. His play never wavers, and you know what you’re getting in Nazar. Projects as a good 2nd line winger at the NHL level.
NHL comparison: All-around, feisty top 6 forward – Travis Konecny

12. New York Islanders – Rutger McGroarty – C
A tanky offensive center with A level skating but an awkward skating stride/hunch. Mcgroarty is playing on the stacked USNTDP squad with some very talented colleagues and looks to be fitting right in. He has a wicked wrister and can play a solid power game. The raw package of tools is very enticing, but we need to see if he can recover from his injury as he saw his production wean off as of late.
NHL comparison: Talented, sturdy center – Sam Bennett

13. Detroit Redwings – Conor Geekie – C
A huge power center that can takeover a game with his physical play, creativity, or puck skills. He’s the type of player that NHL teams drool over as he is a complete 2-way forward. He can change the outcome of the game with a big hit or equally as fast with a high level finesse play. Geekie also has NHL pedigree. Teams will be lining up to grab him this low. Don’t be surprised if he is a riser on draft day.
NHL comparison: Big-bodied, talented all-around forward – Tomas Hertl

14. Columbus Blue Jackets: Isaac Howard – LW A natural point producer that terrorizes opposing teams with a slick shot and high-end puck skills. His production this past year ranks among the top 10 all time in the U.S. U17 team’s history. He’s the type of player who you need to see perform at the higher level as his skills don’t stand out, yet he outproduces everyone he plays with up until now. Could end up an all star if he can keep his play up at the next levels.
NHL comparison: Skilled, Diminutive forward – Evgenii Dadonov

15. Los Angeles Kings: Ty Nelson - D
Plays with the wherewithal to constantly pressure play into the opposite direction. An analytics darling, Nelson pushes the pace, is always looking to make a play offensively and can safely be projected to quarter back the PP at the NHL level because of his offensive skillset and poise with the puck.
NHL comparison: Fluid offensive defensemen with 3rd pairing / 1st PP potential – Vince Dunn

16. Vegas Golden Knights Ryan Chesley – D
A sturdy defensemen that plays bigger than his 6’ 200 lbs frame, Chesley packs a punch in his slap shot, skates very well and plays an aggressive game defensively. His offensive production this year is lacking, but his overall play is so solid that he can always fall back on those fundamentals and not hurt his team. Good bet to become a sound 2nd pairing defender and one of the safer picks in this draft.
NHL comparison: Two-way, aggressive 2nd pairing D – Dmitry Orlov

17. New Jersey Devils: Noah Ostlund – C
His offensive numbers don’t jump out but he makes up for it with a non-stop motor. Ostlund works tirelessly at both ends of the ice and helps both offensively and defensively. I think he projects better defensively at the highest level but his meticulous play all around makes this buzzsaw center a coach’s dream.
NHL comparison: versatile, hard-working middle 6 center – Anthony Cirelli

18. Philadelphia Flyers – Jonathan Lekkerimaki – C/RW
Lekkerimaki stares you down from the hashmarks, before blasting a wicked wrister top corner before you have time to blink. This is a regular occurrence with this shoot first center that complements playmakers seamlessly. The last good goal-scorer of the first round, I don’t see him dropping past here. He has a legitimate shot at being a 25 goal scorer at the highest level.
NHL comparison: Sharp shooting, offensive forward – Jordan Eberle

19. Boston Bruins – Seamus Casey – D
Very intelligent defender who’s transition game is second to none. He knows where to be and the game comes to him naturally. While he may struggle defensively against bigger forwards, I think he has enough intellect to figure this part of the game out and take his game to the next level. My dark horse picks to go much higher in a redraft a few years down the line.
NHL comparison: Heady offensive defensemen with 2/3D upside – Torey Krug

20. Nashville Predators: Simon Forsmark – D One of the oldest players in the draft, Forsmark has been playing like it as well, forcing Orebro (SHL) to call him up after he torched the J20 league with a 1.21 ppg. He plays a mature, pro-style NHL game and is lacking neither offensively or defensively. Give him a solid frame as well and you have a prototypical 2nd/3rd pairing defensemen. Let’s see how he progresses playing against adults.
NHL comparison: Solid, middle pairing defensemen – Colin Miller

21. St-Louis Blues – Elias Salomonsson – D What sets this Swede apart from his counterparts is his ability to absolutely launch tape to tape passes from the defensive zone. A very valuable skill at the NHL level as we move from the old defensive defensemen type league to a more fast paced style of play. He could give a bit more defensively however, and I think that is what separates him from the higher ranked defensemen in this draft.
NHL comparison: Inconsistent offensive 2nd/3rd pairing defensemen – Keith Yandle

22. Tampa Bay Lightning - Filip Mesar – RW
The nimble Slovakian winger brings all the skills you want in a top 6 forward; Plus level skating, high skill and absolutely loves the puck on his stick. He can enter the zone with ease and keep defenders guessing as his goes wide or cuts to the middle. An east west type player, he has the skill to be higher up in this draft but I see some concerns with size that could hold him back. He’s one to keep an eye on.
NHL comparison – Swift skating, top 6 or bust winger – Tyler Ennis

23. Anaheim Ducks – Tristan Luneau – D
A plus level passer that can strut the blueline and get low point shots off with ease. The last right-handed D taken in this mock draft, he is a player I thought of moving up my rankings, as if he puts all his tools together, I can see him playing on the second pairing + 2nd power play unit at the NHL level. He bobs and weaves efficiently for a 6’2” player. If he can work to bring his shot up to par with the rest of his skills, watch out.
NHL comparison: Decent two-way defencemen with 2nd pairing/2nd PP upside – Travis Sanheim

24. Toronto Maple Leafs – Cutter Gauthier – LW
Playing on an extremely deep USNTDP squad has had an impact on Gauthier’s draft ranking as he isn’t getting prime minutes, however, the big-bodied winger makes his presence known when he’s on the ice as he brings a meat and potatoes style game and a heavy shot to go with it. A safe pick that projects as a third line winger, I could see teams taking him here as the talent level drops off slightly afterwards.
NHL comparison: Versatile, rugged bottom 6 forward – Blake Coleman

25. Calgary Flames - Nathan Gaucher – C
A 6’3” right shot center with goal scoring acumen will always catch scouts eyes. Gaucher is an assertive force down the middle that plays with a willingness to takeover. He wins puck battles, can drive the net, and do all the little things needed to win, as evidenced by his coach the legendary Patrick Roy playing him as the Remparts first line center.
NHL comparison: Well rounded, bottom 6 center – Colton Sissons

26. Winnipeg Jets - Jack Hughes – C
He may not be the second coming of the 2019 NHL draft’s 1st overall pick, but this Hughes brings a lot of the same elements. A composed puck distributor, Jack has struggled a bit to adjust to the NCAA but I see a forward with the right mind to make it to the big leagues. His hockey IQ is his calling card as he uses it to bring together all his offensive skills.
NHL comparison: Small, skilled playmaker – Tyler Johnson

27. New York Rangers – Marco Kasper – C: A “power” forward in a sense, Kasper has a good ability to make plays in tight and in the slot. He is a good skater with a pro pace to his game. His hockey sense also checks out and he’s been playing relatively well for a young player in the SHL this year. Seems like a lock for a 3rd or 4th line roll at the highest level.
NHL comparison: Robust, reliable bottom 6 center – Adam Lowry

28. Minnesota Wild – Ludwig Persson - LW
Swedish winger with outstanding skating skills. He was a highly touted player a few years back but the hype has cooled off a bit as his progression slowed down. Persson keeps defensemen on their heels and scores plenty off the rush. A hit or miss type that a team could capitalize on late in the first round.
NHL comparison: Speedy, versatile offensive forward – Andreas Athanasiou

29. Washington Capitals - Filip Bystedt - C
Inconsistent offensive player that makes up for it by being a puck hound on D. Bystedt is a big body standing at 6’4 and plays an important position and plays it well at that. Can outskate and outmuscle most players his age, but I feel this has more to do with his physical dominance over peers than his skill. I think he tops out as a reliable 4th line guy.
NHL comparison: Big bodied, bottom 6 defensive center – Riley Sheahan

30. Buffalo Sabres – Lian Bichsel – D
Hulking presence on the back end, Bichsel is a 6’5 / 220 lbs Swedish defensemen. He doesn’t have any standout qualities other than the aforementioned size, however for a kid his size, Lian does skate very well and this could push a team to grab him towards the end of the first round. A worthy project.
NHL comparison: 3rd pairing hulking defensive defensemen – Marc Staal

31. Edmonton Oilers – Liam Ohgren – LW
Quality offensive player who recently got called up the the SHL, Ohgren combines both savvy playmaking and a reliable shot in a solid 6’1 frame. I’m not sold on the top 6 potential as he doesn’t have one skill that sticks out, but he’s a good bet to atleast slot in as a bottom six offensive winger with a good motor. A safe pick here.
NHL comparison: Bottom 6 offensive winger – Danton Heinen

32. Arizona Coyotes - Denton Mataychuk – D
Stocky two-way defender playing out west, Mataychuk is a no flash, all substance type defender who eats up minutes at lower levels and provides solid puck movement. He plays a quiet and efficient game at both ends of the ice and with a July birthday and room to grow physically, he makes for a worthy last pick in this deep draft.
NHL comparison: 3rd pairing two-way depth defensemen - Brett Kulak

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
it’s really tough to compare you’re right, but I just try to do it cause it helps paint a very rough picture of the prospects play style !
I like the "production" type comparisons you provide. Really nice job. In fact, my only significant disagreement is on the 32nd comparison. Mateychuk has almost as much production in 18 games as Kulak did in 72 games his draft year. I agree it doesn't make sense to state that a late 1st rounder will have above a 3rd pairing role, but I think Dunn is a more apt comparison--in fact, Mateychuk is pretty much on pace for the 18g/38a that Dunn had in his draft season.

Reactions: alasania94

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
I like the "production" type comparisons you provide. Really nice job. In fact, my only significant disagreement is on the 32nd comparison. Mateychuk has almost as much production in 18 games as Kulak did in 72 games his draft year. I agree it doesn't make sense to state that a late 1st rounder will have above a 3rd pairing role, but I think Dunn is a more apt comparison--in fact, Mateychuk is pretty much on pace for the 18g/38a that Dunn had in his draft season.
He was a riser for me, wouldn't have included him in my top 32 - 3 months ago which is why I wanted to keep the comparison "under control" until we see what we have at the end of the year! he's already gained a ton of traction even getting into the first round imo but thank you for the feedback always appreciated.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
As an Ottawa fan we would most likely go with a forward with our pick. We have some nice young pieces in JBD,Sanderson,Thompson,Kleven and questionably Brannstrom not to mention Chabot. We would most likely Savoie or another center.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Pavel Mintyukov has to be sneaking up on the top 32. He has been developing very well under Chris Lazary on a young but talented club. 6'2 190lb GP-18 Pts-14 and is draft eligable 03. Covid has slowed development making it harder for scouts. Plenty of talent just difficult when many never played to even watch.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Very good work! It's interesting that you hae Yurov as a centre. The Suzuki comparisons seems to hold. But he's playing RW right now. I take it he played down the middle before?
I can see him moving to center as his playstyle projects perfectly as such. very smart and responsible player!

Reactions: De Montreal

Jaaanosik

Nov 9, 2014
What an Olympic tournament for Slafkovsky!!!
McKenzie has him 5th.
CBC was showing another 5th pick from 1990, between the periods during the bronze medal game.
:)

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
ludwig persson in 1st round makes zero sense
this was made in november... he was having an excellent season in the SWE-JR and was seen as a hit or miss pick, hence the ranking at 28th overall lol but thanks for your constructive criticism.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Honestly, Savoie reminds me a lot more of Dubois and Savoie reminds me more of Gilbert Brule. That is in terms of playing style.

As for Lambert, he's more like Matt Duchene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad