WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Division I (group A: 2–8 May and B: 25 April – 1 May)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
They had a different guy today though, at least it sounded like it, so don't make any mistakes please :laugh:
Bronze for Lituhania. That is actually impressing.

How would Lithania do in highest division do you think? Would we see blowouts against bigger nation all the time like 10-0 or do you think Lithanuia could keep it reasonable close?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
How would Lithania do in highest division do you think? Would we see blowouts against bigger nation all the time like 10-0 or do you think Lithanuia could keep it reasonable close?
Losing 10-0 all the time is just not the nature of hockey plus we have a solid goalie. I don't think us playing in the elite would be so different compared to Hungary, or Korea, or even GB playing in the elite. We would score slightly less and allow slightly more.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Armalis is indeed solid. But i had higher hopes for him. Thought he would turn into NHLer or top keeper in Euro Leagues. Did he not have a brother that had good potenial but retired early?

Losing 10-0 all the time is just not the nature of hockey plus we have a solid goalie. I don't think us playing in the elite would be so different compared to Hungary, or Korea, or even GB playing in the elite. We would score slightly less and allow slightly more.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
His brother did play but I have no idea about his potential. He retired when he was ~16 iirc. Didn't even play for out U18s or anything.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Those are Romanian issues and I shouldn't really worry about it too much but I think we were lucky to face Polc yesterday. Much like Dalton, he is not what he once was and Toke just truly looked better in this WC.

However, there is even more to it in the bigger picture. Once again just like Dalton's case, it appears Romania will be stuck with a D1B level goaltending for a long while (Toke is a mediocre Erste league goalie, after all) since their far and away best goalie prospect ever - Attila Adorjan (actual starting goalie of the Hungarian champions (that are based in Romania)) - has realized he is good enough to play for Hungary eventually and has switched the federation he represents.

So naturalization of over-the-hill Russians aside, you kinda have to feel for Romania somewhat, they are losing better players than they can "acquire". Istvan Sofron would be another pretty big name they lost like that.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Regarding that topic it's a bit in poor taste when Hungarian players display Székely flags on the ice; it's your right to choose whom you represent but don't try to have it both ways then.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
On Hungary's part, don't really understand the decision to play your starting goalie for the 4th time in 6 days in a completely meaningless game for either team. But ok.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
If below tweet is correct (IIHF original announcement has no participant list), Romania might have survived relegation after all.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Makes sense to go back to 6 team format. Also gives even more hope for us to stay in D1A for the immediate future which is nice.

U20s in Kaunas, aka my hometown, encourage everyone who has nothing better to do to visit.

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Makes sense to go back to 6 team format. Also gives even more hope for us to stay in D1A for the immediate future which is nice.

U20s in Kaunas, aka my hometown, encourage everyone who has nothing better to do to visit.
Lithuania hosting U18's would make more sense, seeing how young your brightest ''swiss" kids are, no?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Lithuania hosting U18's would make more sense, seeing how young your brightest ''swiss" kids are, no?
They are 14-15 so doing that kind of math it would make the most sense to apply for hosting U18s in 2024 or even 2025. Since hosting the same event over and over is a bit of a no-go in the IIHF politics game U20s are the sensible choice at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad