• Sam Colangelo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It's time for our annual Ducks prospect rankings. Each poll will run for 48 hours except in the case of a clear landslide. I will go to the top 25 and include a final poll where you can pick 5 honorable mentions. Please tell me who you want me to add in the replies. In the third poll, I am voting for Mason McTavish.

As always the list will define prospects as hockeysfuture does: NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future.

2021 Ducks Prospect Rankings
1. C - Trevor Zegras (no change)
2. D - Jamie Drysdale (no change)

Our notable graduates and departures are:

Max Comtois
Isac Lundestrom
Antoine Morand
Jack Kopacka​

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
My personal rankings:

1. Zegras (Matt Barzal type IMPACT)
  2. Drysdale

3. McTavish (solid 2C or goal scoring winger)

4. Perreault (worse version of Kessel)
  5. Zellweger (Girard-ish with some Spurgeon mixed in)
  6. Pastujov (if he improves skating better version of Terry)
  7. Dostal (hard to predict goalies)
  8. Groulx (Bonino-ish but a little more physical)
  9. LaCombe (waiting to see him at AHL level) (boom or bust)
  10. Thrun (3rd pairing)
  11. Tracey (boom or bust)
  12. Colangelo (power forward boom or bust)
  13. Tschigerl (worse version of Blake Coleman, I think he will be a 3rd liner, great pick)
  14. McLaughlin (sleeper)
  15. Nickl
  16. Hinds
Cluster I have between 4-7 & 9-14 are super close.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
My personal rankings:

1. Zegras (Matt Barzal type IMPACT)
  2. Drysdale

3. McTavish (solid 2C or goal scoring winger)

4. Perreault (worse version of Kessel)
  5. Zellweger (Girard-ish with some Spurgeon mixed in)
  6. Pastujov (if he improves skating better version of Terry)
  7. Dostal (hard to predict goalies)
  8. Groulx (Bonino-ish but a little more physical)
  9. LaCombe (waiting to see him at AHL level) (boom or bust)
  10. Thrun (3rd pairing)
  11. Tracey (boom or bust)
  12. Colangelo (power forward boom or bust)
  13. Tschigerl (worse version of Blake Coleman, I think he will be a 3rd liner, great pick)
  14. McLaughlin (sleeper)
  15. Nickl
  16. Hinds
Cluster I have between 4-7 & 9-14 are super close.
Moore? Seems like he is a higher level prospect than guys like Nickl and Hinds.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Dostals NHL debut is one of the top ducks moments Im excited for this coming year. I think he's for real

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Dostals NHL debut is one of the top ducks moments Im excited for this coming year. I think he's for real

Year on year comparisons aren’t the best to project players but he’s ahead of where Gibson was in each of his post draft years. I think he’s legit, my only concern is his lack of size holds him back from being elite.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Year on year comparisons aren’t the best to project players but he’s ahead of where Gibson was in each of his post draft years. I think he’s legit, my only concern is his lack of size holds him back from being elite.
He’s smart though, I think he’s kinda gonna be like Juuse Saros in that regard, his brain will make up for his slight lack of size, also I swear I recently saw him listed at 6’ 2

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
He’s smart though, I think he’s kinda gonna be like Juuse Saros in that regard, his brain will make up for his slight lack of size, also I swear I recently saw him listed at 6’ 2
You really think he’s gonna start a couple of games this upcoming season ? I think we should let if he’s knocking at the door but otherwise I think he’d be better off in the AHL

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You really think he’s gonna start a couple of games this upcoming season ? I think we should let if he’s knocking at the door but otherwise I think he’d be better off in the AHL
Sure why not, if Gibson or Stolarz get hurt as of right now he's the clear third on the depth chart. If either get hurt long term he'll certain rack up some starts this season

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
To me Dostal is clearly the choice here.
He can be a starter in the league and a good one at that.

McT is intriguing but he will not be a top line player most likely

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2011
Mctavish. Positional value matters and I think he can turn into a high end number 2 C as long as hes allowed to develop

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I am going with McTavish though Dostal is close and I get why a lot of people pick him.
Tbh I don't know why people are NOT picking Dostal. Sure goalies are harder to predict, but he has had 3years of pro hockey under his belt where he has done nothing else but exceeded the expectations. He was carrying an AHL team in the playoffs recently.

Mctavish. Positional value matters and I think he can turn into a high end number 2 C as long as hes allowed to develop
C is important but G is super important as well. You could argue that a G carries more value in playoffs even if C is super necessary.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Can never vote a goalie that high with the type of prospects we have.... too fickle. I believe in Dostal though but still. We just won't know until he gets at least multiple games at NHL level.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
With McTavish I think he's actually a safe pick, he's got that stronger lower body like Rossi that is ahead of his peers but is 6'1 not 5'9 and has an elite Cannon shot and best at deflections in his draft class(that's Pavelski like).

He's got a NHL ready build/frame already but needs more developing of his playmaking/skating in the juniors but if he looks great in camp and Murray thinks he's ready I wouldn't be surprised if he does well in the NHL.

He's got the great work ethic to do that.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It's too late now (not that my vote would've been close to mattering anyway) but this should've been Dostal imo. I understand that people are careful with predicting goalies, and his development could very well stall from here on. But I think a lot of people don't realize how good his pro numbers are. Liiga is basically AHL level (at least not far behind), and he's basically been putting up 93 svs% as an 18-19 year old there. Stats wise, few goalies in history could compare.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
It's too late now (not that my vote would've been close to mattering anyway) but this should've been Dostal imo. I understand that people are careful with prediction goalies, and his development could very well stall from here. But I think a lot of people don't realize how good his pro numbers are. Liiga is basically AHL level (at least not far behind), and he's basically been putting up 93 svs% as an 18-19 year old there. Stats wise, few goalies in history could compare.
Exactly my thoughts. I have been saying this for a while and probably to a point where it starts to get a bit annoying, but McTavish has nothing to be considered as a better prospect right now.

Last year for the Gulls in the playoffs it was not Zegras who was the best player, and it was not Drysdale or anyone else. It was Dostal who finally got used to the NA ice it seems. To me Dostal is very clearly the 3rd best prospect in our organisation and McTavish is 4th

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad