GDT: 2020 World Series: (AL) Tampa Bay Rays vs (NL) Los Angeles Dodgers - LAD wins 4-2

TB vs LAD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I was thinking about what I wrote last night when it comes to hating analytics and I think my frustration with Baseball isn't really with Analytics but more using it as the be all and end all of the game. I still stand by what I said about the whole three true outcomes kind of ruining the entertainment value of the game, but Baseball really is the only sport where it feels like they treat players with kid gloves. These are athletes getting paid millions. Let your star players be your star players. If they are pitching really well, let them do their job and they should dictate if they have enough left or not. When you go to a game, you want to see the star players, and usually the Aces are your star players. I mean look at someone like Madison Bumgarner in his prime. Would you be upset if you went to see him pitch and he's doing so well but the manager has to take him out because that's what the analytics say? That would be like going to a hockey game and having Connor McDavid being taken out before the third period began because the numbers say he's terrible in crunch time (He's not but I'm trying to use an example). I don't want to see Baseball go the way of battle of the bullpens and that's what this postseason felt like. Maybe this is a dumb comment, but I would love a rule saying your starting pitcher has to go at least 5 innings or give up 5 runs, which ever happens first. It would put the emphasis back on the Ace which would be a good thing.

Last edited:

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
In hockey equivalent, here is what Kevin Cash did with Blake Snell:

Let's say the Winnipeg Jets were in the Stanley Cup Finals and were down 3-2 in the series.

It is now Game 6. The Jets are up 1-0 with 10 minutes to go in the 3rd period.

Connor Hellebuyck has played amazing so far, and he is currently sitting on an 30 save shutout with a chance to force Game 7.

But, analytics indicate that Hellebuyck starts to lose some effectiveness in the final 10 minutes of every game. His save percentage goes from 0.928 to 0.912 through minutes 51-60.

So Paul Maurice pulls him from the net, and inserts the backup goaltender. Laurent Brossoit.

Brossoit then gives up 3 goals in the final 10 minutes. The Jets lose the game and the series.

This is what Cash did with Snell. Analytics said that Snell starts to lose some effectiveness his 3rd time through the batting order. So Cash pulled him, despite how dominant he had been playing.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
In hockey equivalent, here is what Kevin Cash did with Blake Snell:

Let's say the Winnipeg Jets were in the Stanley Cup Finals and were down 3-2 in the series.

It is now Game 6. The Jets are up 1-0 with 10 minutes to go in the 3rd period.

Connor Hellebuyck has played amazing so far, and he is currently sitting on an 30 save shutout with a chance to force Game 7.

But, analytics indicate that Hellebuyck starts to lose some effectiveness in the final 10 minutes of every game. His save percentage goes from 0.928 to 0.912 through minutes 51-60.

So Paul Maurice pulls him from the net, and inserts the backup goaltender. Laurent Brossoit.

Brossoit then gives up 3 goals in the final 10 minutes. The Jets lose the game and the series.

This is what Cash did with Snell. Analytics said that Snell starts to lose some effectiveness his 3rd time through the batting order. So Cash pulled him, despite how dominant he had been playing.

Watch that Jomboy video from a few posts up he breaks it down really well.

- Snell pitches better 3rd time around vs 2nd time around

- Betts gets worse from 1st AB onward in a game

- Betts couldnt hit lefties even a little bit this season

- Betts murders righties who throw fastballs

So Cash took out a lefty who was dealing and actually improves 3rd time through the order vs 2nd time. Then he replaces him with a righty who throws 65% fastballs. Not to mention Anderson has been pitching like ass lately and ended up getting the record for most consecutive playoff relief appearances while giving up at least one run.

He literally did this because of his unwavering allegiance to the blanket statement of ‘I don’t like pitchers facing the order 3 times’.

f***ing dunce and absolutely deserves to be fired.

Last edited:

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Like the post above states and in Jomboy's article, a lot of baseball metrics are against the idea of pulling Snell for Anderson. People also like to ignore the Dodgers built their team from an analytical perspective, Andrew Friedman the builder of the current Dodgers core came from Tampa I believe 6 years ago now.

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
"The story goes that the iconic shot of Carlton Fisk waving his Game 6 home run to stay fair was an accident. The cameraman, Louis Gerard, was supposed to follow the ball. But he told his producer he couldn't, that there was "a rat on my leg that's as big as a cat. It's staring me in the face." So he just kept the camera on Fisk, a shot out of character with broadcasts of the time but one that turned out to be revolutionary. "Before Game 6, there was no such thing as a reaction shot," the Boston Globe reported. "Cameramen followed the action, focusing on the trajectory of a hit ball or a thrown pass or a shot. Forever after, there would be the isolation shot, looking for the reaction of the athlete to what happened." MLB - Major League Baseball Teams, Scores, Stats, News, Standings, Rumors - ESPN

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The timing was just horrendous.

Next three batters in the Dodgers lineup were a combined 0 for 6 against Snell, with 6 strikeouts.

How Cash remains employed today is beyond me. Single-handedly cost his team the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad