• Mikko Kokkonen

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Adam Brooks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
not sure why the abruz love ... i wouldnt have him in my 10 ...

2nd best PPG in all of college hockey. Similar to what Jake Guentzel put up at the same age for example, and Guentzel was in his 3rd NCAA season, not as a rookie. Of course there's likely a list of similar aged guys who became busts. But I think that's worthy of going here.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
2nd best PPG in all of college hockey. Similar to what Jake Guentzel put up at the same age for example, and Guentzel was in his 3rd NCAA season, not as a rookie. Of course there's likely a list of similar aged guys who became busts. But I think that's worthy of going here.

meh, i think too much is being guys are reading to much into his stats .. lets be honest, he plays in a garbage league that produces next to no nhl calibur players. in 15 years these are the best forwards from that league.
kerfoot, killorn, gallager, pirri, agostino, peca, vesey, donato, carr . im probably missing a bunch of 4th liners but you get the idea.

Not to mention he is 5;9 160 pounds. There are maybe 5 players in the whole nhl at that size.

imo he has alot less value than other players on this list

Reactions: brhymes19

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
No love for SDA? Is he a product of Robertson? Too small for the NHL?

I think the expectations were set ridiculously high for him after his draft summer. He went into leafs camp and got signed to an ELC. There was this awesome pic of Dubas and SDA in a room with the contract and everyone was all excited about how great he was going to be.

Then he had a stat sheet that doesn't excite anyone kinda follow up year ... and another that maybe was better but you know people look at the goal totals, and then ... he played a cup of coffee with the growlers. That's not a bad thing, since Dubas said he wants to use it as a AA feeder, but people will still view that as busting since he didn't get a taste with the marlies.

Watch him fall towards the bottom of this list for the more obvious choices. This is his first pro year. Will be interesting to see if everyone forgot about him too quickly, or if he's just another 3rd rounder who couldn't get to that next level.

Reactions: bpower

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
meh, i think too much is being guys are reading to much into his stats .. lets be honest, he plays in a garbage league that produces next to no nhl calibur players. in 15 years these are the best forwards from that league.
kerfoot, killorn, gallager, pirri, agostino, peca, vesey, donato, carr . im probably missing a bunch of 4th liners but you get the idea.

Not to mention he is 5;9 160 pounds. There are maybe 5 players in the whole nhl at that size.

imo he has alot less value than other players on this list

He's not in my top 10, but the NCAA has produced a lot of top talent...

Jack Eichel. Johnny Gaudreau. Kyle Connor. Dylan Larkin. Brock Boeser. Quinn Hughes. Cale Makar.

The list really goes on. Doing well in that league is promising for future success. For a late 4th rounder, he has a good shot at becoming a solid middle 6 winger.

EDIT: I should be more specific. NCAA is technically a league, but it is heavily divided by its conferences. Some conferences are very weak, and some are strong. Harvard is still known for producing some quality talents though, and while they do face some weak competition in the ECAC, they do still face top teams outside of their conference on a regular basis, and half of the ECAC is pretty competitive. In case you are wondering why the Leafs have been drafting guys who are going to places like Minnesota (Joe Miller and Mike Koster) and Harvard (Tverberg, Fusco, Abruzzese, etc.), it is because we want to make sure they are facing tough competition and are getting the proper resources to develop properly. So school is quite important when it comes to teams making decisions on a player as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morgs

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think the expectations were set ridiculously high for him after his draft summer. He went into leafs camp and got signed to an ELC. There was this awesome pic of Dubas and SDA in a room with the contract and everyone was all excited about how great he was going to be.

Then he had a stat sheet that doesn't excite anyone kinda follow up year ... and another that maybe was better but you know people look at the goal totals, and then ... he played a cup of coffee with the growlers. That's not a bad thing, since Dubas said he wants to use it as a AA feeder, but people will still view that as busting since he didn't get a taste with the marlies.

Watch him fall towards the bottom of this list for the more obvious choices. This is his first pro year. Will be interesting to see if everyone forgot about him too quickly, or if he's just another 3rd rounder who couldn't get to that next level.

With two strong drafts where Dubas and Co. were fully in charge of the board, he's been passed up by guys who have been recently taken. I have him in the 15 range, which just goes to show you that the Leafs pool is a lot deeper than people think... Because that is not so much indicative of him being poor, but rather that the Leafs' pool just has a lot of solid, all-around talents ahead of him.

The stoppage may actually have been good for him. His vision is excellent. His shot is actually a lot better than his goal totals suggest (I guess not much unlike Bracco), but he can really focus on building up strength to take his skating and shot to the next level, and hopefully round out his game. Should also help him become better in the dot as well.

He should be on the Marlies 100% next year though. I understand there is a lot of competition, but if he can show he can hack it at the AHL level in any capacity, that is where he should be. Get him on the 4th line and force him to learn the defensive side of the puck and maximizing his limited offensive opportunities with less talented teammates (although he will likely have Justin Brazeau on his line and that guy scored 61 goals on a bad team in his final OHL year). The ECHL is good for guys who are a little bit more raw and less skilled to develop for a year or two, but a guy like SDA should be given as tough of a challenge as he can reasonably handle, and I think that challenge is the AHL for him.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
He's not in my top 10, but the NCAA has produced a lot of top talent...

Jack Eichel. Johnny Gaudreau. Kyle Connor. Dylan Larkin. Brock Boeser. Quinn Hughes. Cale Makar.

The list really goes on. Doing well in that league is promising for future success. For a late 4th rounder, he has a good shot at becoming a solid middle 6 winger.

im talking only about ecac ... its like most college sports even though the ncaa is made up of muliple conferences, It has a gigantic impact on the talent of the player and the calibur of players you'll be facing. Its the reason alot of the known NCAA players all come from the same teams and conference year after year.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
For those who are down on Korshkov’s age, if he came into the NHL this season and was another Mikheyev (Mikheyev came in at 25, Korshkov is 24), would you think you were wrong about your vote?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
What's wrong with Korshkov at #7? He's not 20, I know that, but he's NHL ready and will hopefully be on the roster this upcoming season.
I think too many people are going off what they want him to be rather than what he most likely is; I'd be surprised if he ever hit 40 points a year in the league, and yea the 24 is a negative not a positive. 24 is forward prime years, he also was very mediocre in the 2nd half of the AHL last year, where his first half points carried his numbers. There's players with higher upsides still left, and someone like Anderson who has been better every year compared to Korshkov, has more NHL experience, and almost 2 years younger is still on the list.
For those who are down on Korshkov’s age, if he came into the NHL this season and was another Mikheyev (Mikheyev came in at 25, Korshkov is 24), would you think you were wrong about your vote?
If Korshkov came into the league next year and put up 45~ points like Mikheyev's pace, than yea I'd admit being wrong.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
No love for SDA? Is he a product of Robertson? Too small for the NHL?

I hope he surprises me, but personally I don't think the guy has nhl level talent. He hasn't progressed much since being drafted 3 years ago. I know he's a playmaker and will always be a guy that puts up much more assists than goals which is fine. But....even playmakers should have the ability to score goals at the junior level if they have any hopes of becoming a pro.

The guy scored 6 goals in his draft+1 season in junior hockey.....6. Everyone considers Marner a pure playmaker yet he still managed to rack up 40+ goals in the OHL. Obviously I don't expect SDA to be anywhere close to where Marner is, but 12, 6, and 12 goal seasons in a league like the OHL don't exactly scream NHL talent to me. Unless he shows some serious progression this year I don't expect him to be in the Leafs system much longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad