Prospect Info: 2020/2021 World Juniors Tournament Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Hughes poking fun at some of our Canadian WJC alumni boys after the game! From his Instagram story

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 12.54.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 12.54.33 AM.png
    981.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: glenwo2

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Aside from him destroying so many "professionals" mock drafts, why do all the analysts seem to shit on Muk? Each of the games I watched he seemed pretty darn good and if he wasn't I'd imagine he wouldn't have had a much TOI as he did.

Good question. Mukhamadullin had an excellent tournament. I'd say he was a top 10 defenseman overall. The only draft +1 defensemen who were notably superior were Brock Faber and Topi Niemela. This kid should be showered with accolades, not scrutinized.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Good question. Mukhamadullin had an excellent tournament. I'd say he was a top 10 defenseman overall. The only draft +1 defensemen who were notably superior were Brock Faber and Topi Niemela. This kid should be showered with accolades, not scrutinized.
If he were Joe Smith and played for Canada, or hell was even drafted by a Canadian team, the narrative would be that he was a rising star after shooting up the draft board due to excellent development.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'll write the gold medal game up tomorrow. I've just been celebrating with a couple of friends I watched the game with. I am on Cloud 9. What a performance by the USA. I am incredibly proud, and glowing all over. This is why I love hockey, and this is why I love sports.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If he were Joe Smith and played for Canada, or hell was even drafted by a Canadian team, the narrative would be that he was a rising star after shooting up the draft board due to excellent development.

Like I've said 1,000 times on this thread, all you need to look at is the discrepancy in how Mukhamadullin and Broberg have been treated in the media. If you completely flip-flop their performances, the media will say Mukhamadullin is a bust who will never make the NHL and Broberg will win 5 Norris Trophies. And yet, Mukhamadullin was awesome and Broberg a complete disaster and the media is still trying to paint Mukhamadullin as a bust and Broberg as a future Norris winner.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Mukhamadullin is the real deal. He's going to captain Team Russia in the 2022 WJC and his potential is enormous. Let's give the kid the credit he deserves.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
well done USA … good crushing of canada……..im on record more than a few times for not cheering any nations

i cheer for our devils guys…...club over country

it's great to laugh at the collective lament of a smug hockey country like canada

Reactions: glenwo2

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Quick Notes on USA Vs. Finland:

1) What a Game:
hats off to all the players on both teams for an outstanding and nail-biting semi-final.

2) Topi Niemela: just a terrific WJC performance, I felt it was a coming-out party for Niemela, who we all slept on too much in the 2020 draft.

3) Finnish Blueline: Niemela was far from alone. Heinola, Kokkonen, Viro and Puutio all played tremendous throughout the WJC, as well as last night when it counted most.

4) Kaspar Simontaival: he was a prospect I wavered on in last year's draft, but he sure can score, can't he? If he can round out the other elements of his game to "average", he can certainly make the NHL on a second line.

5) Anton Lundell: the kid was tremendous all tournament in all three zones. I think his critics prior to the 2020 draft -- who talked about him like he was a bottom-6 center -- need to all mail this kid a huge apology. He's going to be one hell of an NHL top center.

6) Jackson LaCombe: I owe him an apology. I did not feel he deserved to make the roster, and I criticized him heavily after a very poor performance in the USA's loss vs. Russia. But his pass to Farinacci on the breakaway goal was, in my opinion, the highlight of the entire game and the USA does not win without that play. Kudos to LaCombe!

7) John Farinacci: his line has truly excelled all tournament long, but he really stood out last night. His line-mates, especially Berard, played very poorly but Farinacci just played a relentless game and scored a huge goal. Arizona has a ton of problems, but they have some pretty great prospects on the way, and Farinacci is so versatile, he's a no doubt NHL-er to me. You can play him on a scoring line or a checking one, on the wing or at center. Coaches love kids like this. Oh yeah, and he's from New Jersey!

8) Brock Faber: what does this kid need to do to get some attention? He's only been -- far and away -- the top non-Canadian defender in the tournament. You can't beat him, and he's so smart, poised and effective.

9) Patrick Moynihan: effective in a supporting role coming off injury. A couple of Devils writers/fans have written rather diminishing things about his performance, but let's look at this realistically. Moynihan is a 6th round pick who made the American WJC team! The Devils did not draft him to score 40 goals, they drafted him to be a smart, physical and effective bottom 6 RW. All signs point to Moynihan being an outstanding value pick.

10) Alex Turcotte: without a doubt, the best player on the ice last night. Turcotte's compete level, on the 20-to-80 scouting scale, might be a 90. He's unreal in his ferocity. Also on display were his speed, smarts, skill and almost superhuman defensive instincts. Imagine a future Kings power play line of Turcotte, Kaliyev and Byfield. Wow.

11) Arthur Kaliyev: speaking of Kaliyev, he might be the most baffling player I have ever seen. He lays 6 lousy shifts in a row and then you forget him for a split second and BOOM! He beats you. That game-winning goal was just ridiculous. He drives me crazy, but I'm glad he's on my side.
I do like seeing Niemela’s stock rising because I had him going 30th in my mock draft and he was one of my biggest misses (Poitier? oops) in my admittedly not particularly predictive mock draft.

This doesn’t mean my mock draft is actually better in hindsight but I’m going to pretend I’m vindicated some how by this.
  1. Rangers: Alexis Lafreniere
  2. Kings: Tim Stutzle
  3. Senators: Quinton Byfield
  4. Redwings: Cole Perfetti
  5. Senators: Yaroslav Askarov
  6. Ducks: Jake Sanderson
  7. Devils: Jamie Drysdale
  8. Sabres: Lucas Raymond
  9. Wild: Marco Rossi
  10. Jets: Hendrix Lapierre
  11. Predators: Seth Jarvis
  12. Panthers: Alexander Holtz
  13. Carolina: Rodion Amirov
  14. Oilers: Jack Quinn
  15. Toronto: Jacob Perrault
  16. Habs: Jeremie Poirier
  17. Blackhawks: Kaiden Guhle
  18. Devils: Connor Zary
  19. Flames: Branden Schneider
  20. Devils: Dawson Mercer
  21. Blue Jackets: Anton Lundell
  22. Rangers: Marat Khusnutdinov
  23. Flyers: Dylan Holloway
  24. Capitals: Ridly Greig
  25. Avalanche: Brenden Brisson
  26. Blues: Mavrik Bourque
  27. Ducks: Tyson Foerster
  28. Senators: Helge Grans
  29. Knights: Jake Neighbors
  30. Stars: Topi Niemela
  31. Sharks: Noel Gunler

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hmm. It says Muk had just under 20 minutes of ice time. For some reason it felt like a lot less. I guess he just had a quiet game.

Reactions: My3Sons

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I came away thrilled with Mercer, witnessing what most of you guys seem to have known from the start.

We've been a horrific team along the boards for a while now. Losing Anderson didn't help. But was impressed with Mercer's doggedness in combination with quick hands and good support of his teammates. This is the kind of player that can insulate the possession antics of a Hughes or Bratt or mesh on day one with a Hischier. If we ever once again have a dominant line in the league (ZZ Pops style), this guy will be on it.

LennyRi

Jun 27, 2012
Rijeka
I think Holz will be great on the powerplay and will benefit on passing skills of Hischier and Hughes, i am happy with our picks:thumbu:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Congrats for all my USA buddies. This is a historical game.

What can we understand from this tourney? If guy is little older and outplay kids in kids league - it doesn’t mean anything. my personal disappointment is Quinn. I’m glad I have enough to joy no matter how Russians ends.
Btw Gritsyuk has 1g 3a +4 in 6 games. Second best players with +1. His line mates have 0.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad