HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 2019 Tank Watch: Old Habits Die Hard

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Which he wouldn't have to do if our previous idiotic GM hadn't filled the roster with all of 4 skilled players.
That might've changed had the GMs before him drafted and developed a single NHLer outside of the draft lottery.

Our organizational depth issues are seeded a lot deeper than the Taylor Hall trade.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That might've changed had the GMs before him drafted and developed a single NHLer outside of the draft lottery.

Our organizational depth issues are seeded a lot deeper than the Taylor Hall trade.

That might all well be true, but there's no denying who is responsible for the most amount of damage within the last 20 years.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That might all well be true, but there's no denying who is responsible for the most amount of damage within the last 20 years.
I'm not sure you understand how important it is for a franchise to be able to draft and develop its own depth if you seem to believe it's a foregone conclusion that a single man is the most destructive character in a mess that is seeded far deeper than his actual involvement. Especially when we're talking about a team in the salary cap era.

There is no single person responsible, but a significant amount of blame can be placed on the core group that still remains employed here, who had well over a decade to build a healthy development model for this franchise.

Nobody gets a pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm not sure you understand how important it is for a franchise to be able to draft and develop its own depth of you seem to believe it's a foregone conclusion that a single man is the most destructive character in a mess that is seeded far deeper than his actual involvement. Especially when were talking about a team in the salary cap era.

There is no single person responsible, but a significant amount of blame can be placed on the core group that still remains employed here, who had well over a decade to build a healthy development model for this franchise.

Nobody gets a pass.

I'm not giving anybody a pass, but just because a group of people were all awful it doesn't mean that someone can't stand out from that group by being spectacularly destructive.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Too to get rid of all the rot at once. It has to be gradual, so it seems the process has started, but will the replacements be any better?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm not giving anybody a pass, but just because a group of people were all awful it doesn't mean that someone can't stand out from that group by being spectacularly destructive.
It could be argued that he does stand out if you consider the current success of our farm system something that is sustainable.

The point I'm trying to make is that many of these moves are a result of the lack of depth this franchise had in its hands right from the beginning of the Chiarelli era. Change the names around any which way and I don't see a greener pasture.

And the reality on ice is that Sekera and Klefbom's health over the past two seasons have ultimately been the downfall of this roster. It speaks volumes as to how weak the depth was there from the get go. Super GM doesn't fix that. It was an organizational flaw.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It could be argued that he does stand out if you consider the current success of our farm system something that is sustainable.

The point I'm trying to make is that many of these moves are a result of the lack of depth this franchise had in its hands right from the beginning of the Chiarelli era. Change the names around any which way and I don't see a greener pasture.

And the reality on ice is that Sekera and Klefbom's health over the past two seasons have ultimately been the downfall of this roster. It speaks volumes as to how weak the depth was there from the get go. Super GM doesn't fix that. It was an organizational flaw.

You can run through tons of hypotheticals in your head. Average GM probably doesn't completely sewer the roster. Super GM might have been able to trade Hall for a better return, if he was so inclined. Most of that doesn't really matter, because all we know is what actually transpired, and what actually transpired is material "worthy" of a bottom 5 GM in NHL history.

Reactions: MikeYEG

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
We friggun deserve Hughes so bad after what Chia did to us, hockey gods I hope your listening, for once give us a solid and let us draft Hughes!!

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It's incredible, they're icing three full lines of 4th liners. Outside of RNH and Draisaitl, there's not a single guy there that would be getting a regular shift on a playoff team. The defence looks fine though lol.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
It's incredible, they're icing three full lines of 4th liners. Outside of RNH and Draisaitl, there's not a single guy there that would be getting a regular shift on a playoff team. The defence looks fine though lol.

Next year I'd like...
Cave: 4C
Gagner: Middle-6 RW.
Khaira: Depth LW. I don't think he's reached his ceiling. I suspect we'll know what we have with him after next season.
Rattie: Fine as an extra F. Wouldn't pencil him into my top 6 next year though.

Sell:
Brodziak - Cave is a cheaper, better option imo. Doubt there's much takers (off-season move).
Kassian - at $1.9m he's an expensive 4th liner. Sure, he's played well recently, which is great because that raises his value.
Rieder - Let him walk, unless he wants to take a $1m pay cut on a 'show me' deal.
Chiasson - He's regressed to the norm, lets see if we can get a 3rd for him. Worry that he might want too much in the off-season and not produce well enough on the next contract.

It'd be nice if we can find a 3C that we can lean on, opening up Gagner and JP play for 2RW & 3RW. Then there'd be two spots on LW in the top 6 up for grabs. We'd need to sign a top 6 F if possible, and use one of our internal pieces as a stop gap until Benson is 'overripe'.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Next year I'd like...
Cave: 4C
Gagner: Middle-6 RW.
Khaira: Depth LW. I don't think he's reached his ceiling. I suspect we'll know what we have with him after next season.
Rattie: Fine as an extra F. Wouldn't pencil him into my top 6 next year though.

Sell:
Brodziak - Cave is a cheaper, better option imo. Doubt there's much takers (off-season move).
Kassian - at $1.9m he's an expensive 4th liner. Sure, he's played well recently, which is great because that raises his value.
Rieder - Let him walk, unless he wants to take a $1m pay cut on a 'show me' deal.
Chiasson - He's regressed to the norm, lets see if we can get a 3rd for him. Worry that he might want too much in the off-season and not produce well enough on the next contract.

It'd be nice if we can find a 3C that we can lean on, opening up Gagner and JP play for 2RW & 3RW. Then there'd be two spots on LW in the top 6 up for grabs. We'd need to sign a top 6 F if possible, and use one of our internal pieces as a stop gap until Benson is 'overripe'.
Get rid of Lucic.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The nail that stands out will be the first one hit - Japanese proverb.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Ottawa trades Erik Karlsson, but is still "a team". Scratches Stone, Duchene and Dzingel last night giving Cory Schneider his first shutout in 15 months... These scoundrels are beating us at our own game.

I'm not embarrassed in the slightest and will be especially happy when Ottawa picks 3rd or later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad