WJC: 2019 Slovakia Roster Talk

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The Slovak team has 9 possible returnees from this year in Kostelny, Fehervary, Korencik, Ivan, Roman, Ruzicka, Liska, Kelemen and Krivosik.

Also this is the last chance for the 1999 team that is better than the average Slovak team to get a better result than just a QF spot.

peto10

Sep 29, 2011
Slovakia
I just want to see Bokros gone. And project too. Then we could see the best possible team like:

Ovecka
Kostelny
Hlavaj

Fehervary - Ivan
Kupec - Ziak
Korencik - Pupak
Demo

Fafrak - Ruzicka - Liska
Hrehorcak - Roman - Balaz
Kelemen - Krivosik - Stacho
Fasko-Rudas - Urbanek - Pospisil
Cajkovic

caslava

Dec 1, 2017
Slovakia
Defense looks to be a little weaker than tournament that just happened. Hoping for strong second season in North America from liska, hrehorcak and fafrak. Was quite impressed by kelemen, especially in game against Sweden.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Goalie and D look to be worse next year, but forwards will be better, so about the same as this years team I'd say.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Wonder how many 2000s and under will be selected. Forward depth appears to be the best we’ve had in recent years, where we can actually expect scoring from all 4 lines. I wonder what kind of jump krivosik will make in liiga this year. And liska looks pretty good for slovan. Fehervary and Ivan will be leaned on a lot for defense

james12

Mar 31, 2018
We need to bear in mind that at least half of the team will be selected from Orange20 although it's absolutely unnecessary for this year. What's more, this year's roster of National Program Orange 20 is, from my point of view, kinda dreadful.

Ovečka (Kostelny, Hlavaj)

Fehérváry - Korenčík
Ivan - Žiak
Kupec - Boldižár
Štefanka - Bučko

Liška - Rúžička - Krivošík
Čajkovič - Roman - Hrehorčák
Fafrák - Pospíšil - Kelemen
Havrila - Urbánek - Stacho

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Hey guys, always cheer for the Slovaks against other big sides, like Russia or USA. With two months of the season completed, how would you compare:

Slovakia 2018 goaltending vs Slovakia 2019 goaltending?

Slovakia 2018 defence vs Slovakia 2019 defence?

Slovakia 2018 forwards vs Slovakia 2019 forwards?

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hey guys, always cheer for the Slovaks against other big sides, like Russia or USA. With two months of the season completed, how would you compare:

Slovakia 2018 goaltending vs Slovakia 2019 goaltending?

Slovakia 2018 defence vs Slovakia 2019 defence?

Slovakia 2018 forwards vs Slovakia 2019 forwards?
Welcome aboard, thanks for the cheers!

Our goaltending is always a big question mark but we usually get good performances as you can see last year tournament resulted in both our goalies being drafted (hrenak and durny). I expect goaltending to be about even.

Defensively: one of our best defenders has maxed out in age (Martin bodak) so he will be a big loss. But Martin fehervary has been the highest Slovak player selected in draft since Erik cernak in 2015, so he will lead team and probably be captain. Ivan is playing top pairing for acadie bathurst in Qmjhl so he will be relied on a lot. Korencik will also return from last year and he looks solid. After that it gets iffy, we got some 99s and 2000s scattered around Europe. There is interesting 2 young players may be invited to camp. 16 year old samuel knazko who plays in Finnish u20 league and Oliver Turan who plays in qmjhl. Defence I say may be about the same as last year, maybe a bit weaker depth wise. But who knows maybe young guys impress

Forwards: this is our great strength for this year where we have best depth that we may have ever had at this tournament. We got a few drafted players (Roman, Ruzicka, Pospisil) all from Calgary flames. Pospisil currently leads ushl in scoring and I believe he will have a BIG breakout tournament, he’s got skill, size and grit. Depth at wingers is pretty good as well where we have a few players hovering around a ppg in CHL. Liska is currently leading KHL u20 scorers, and Fafrak is right up around a ppg in the Slovak league. Younger players such as cajkovic and Chromiak may push for spots in the bottom 6. I believe Chromiak is best Slovak prospect in several years, but he is just 16 so unlikely he makes the team as we are trying to load up for last go with solid 99’s. So forward/scoring should be significantly improved this year.

Our coach is a whole other question that shouldn’t be even brought up...

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Welcome aboard, thanks for the cheers!

Our goaltending is always a big question mark but we usually get good performances as you can see last year tournament resulted in both our goalies being drafted (hrenak and durny). I expect goaltending to be about even.

Defensively: one of our best defenders has maxed out in age (Martin bodak) so he will be a big loss. But Martin fehervary has been the highest Slovak player selected in draft since Erik cernak in 2015, so he will lead team and probably be captain. Ivan is playing top pairing for acadie bathurst in Qmjhl so he will be relied on a lot. Korencik will also return from last year and he looks solid. After that it gets iffy, we got some 99s and 2000s scattered around Europe. There is interesting 2 young players may be invited to camp. 16 year old samuel knazko who plays in Finnish u20 league and Oliver Turan who plays in qmjhl. Defence I say may be about the same as last year, maybe a bit weaker depth wise. But who knows maybe young guys impress

Forwards: this is our great strength for this year where we have best depth that we may have ever had at this tournament. We got a few drafted players (Roman, Ruzicka, Pospisil) all from Calgary flames. Pospisil currently leads ushl in scoring and I believe he will have a BIG breakout tournament, he’s got skill, size and grit. Depth at wingers is pretty good as well where we have a few players hovering around a ppg in CHL. Liska is currently leading KHL u20 scorers, and Fafrak is right up around a ppg in the Slovak league. Younger players such as cajkovic and Chromiak may push for spots in the bottom 6. I believe Chromiak is best Slovak prospect in several years, but he is just 16 so unlikely he makes the team as we are trying to load up for last go with solid 99’s. So forward/scoring should be significantly improved this year.

Our coach is a whole other question that shouldn’t be even brought up...

Interesting, didn’t realize the forward core would be that deep outside of the top couple prospects. If that’s the case they could pull off an upset or two.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Interesting, didn’t realize the forward core would be that deep outside of the top couple prospects. If that’s the case they could pull off an upset or two.

Yea, we wish that every year. Mostly when it comes to 1/4-finals. ;) We have Sweden and USA. Both of them could be playable teams, there were good games in the past. Also Finland. And a must win vs Kazakhstan. I think, or better to say i dream, that this Group B could be considered as a open group. Top 3 teams have now a very good dark horse team as an opponent.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Yea, we wish that every year. Mostly when it comes to 1/4-finals. ;) We have Sweden and USA. Both of them could be playable teams, there were good games in the past. Also Finland. And a must win vs Kazakhstan. I think, or better to say i dream, that this Group B could be considered as a open group. Top 3 teams have now a very good dark horse team as an opponent.

I'm never one to count out an underdog but this could be a very tough year for the Slovaks. The top teams in group B look very good, and I actually think the Kazak team has a very good shot at knocking the Slovaks out especially with Gatiyatov. I'm not as sold as some people here on the offensive depth of the Slovaks. Not that I think the Kazak's have any better, all I know is I have December 30th circled. I think it's going to be a helluva game.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'm never one to count out an underdog but this could be a very tough year for the Slovaks. The top teams in group B look very good, and I actually think the Kazak team has a very good shot at knocking the Slovaks out especially with Gatiyatov. I'm not as sold as some people here on the offensive depth of the Slovaks. Not that I think the Kazak's have any better, all I know is I have December 30th circled. I think it's going to be a helluva game.
I really don’t think the game will be close with Kazakhstan. I say at least 6 goals for Slovaks and no more than 2 for Kazakhs. This is the best team we’ve had for 10+ years

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017

You really do not know how is real power slovak players. This slovak team is one, two level before teams like kazak, germany, denmark, norway etc ...

Players like Liska, Ruzicka, Roman, Hrehorcak, Krivosik, Kelemen, Balaz, Pospisil, Fehervary, Ivan are really talented and I doubt whether the kazak has at least one player better the higher wrote players.

james12

Mar 31, 2018
This is my final roster prediction before the wjc. Despite the fact that about 8 players will be selected from Orange20 and 8 D men will be selected, I still hope this team will pass through quarterfinals.

Hlavaj
Sklenár
Ovečka

Fehérváry (C) - Korenčík
Ivan - Žiak
Demo - Kupec
Boldižár - Švec

Liška - Pospíšil - Rúžička (A)
Hrehorčák - Roman (A) - Krivošík
Kukuča - Baláž - Kelemen
Fafrák - Kollár - Regenda

- top 6 is stacked...Pospisil and Roman are best centers since wjc 2015. Duo Roman - Hrehorčák will possess insane chemistry. Alongside with physical and smart Krivošík, this gonna be lethal line.

- line Liska - Pospíšil - Rúžička would be powerful and full of skill. Pospisil can add his aggresiveness + Liska's tenacity and Ruzicka's shooting.

-bottom six is by far the best since I've watched WJC. (2009)

-defense is comparable to wjc 2015 maybe even better

-the most worrysome position for me is goaltending

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
I would bet one of goaltenders that are selected will play at least one game that we can steal, hopefully the quarter finals. The most important thing is that our top 9 can match up against other top nations and we are not relying simply on one player/line to produce all the offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad