2019 NHL Draft Prospects

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do you think there is a chance for Turcotte challenging Hughes as a #1 next year?

Not sure about that but if looking for challengers my bet goes to Kakko.

I think he could. I think he's more well-rounded, but not as dynamic offensively, despite being plenty dynamic.
Hughes will get challenged by someone, but he'll be hard to catch.

If I was going to gamble on someone, I'd probably gamble on Kirby Dach. The main reason for this is, bad teams, need franchise centers, and scouts fall in love with guys who are close to 6'4, a good skater, with high hockey-IQ who projects as a likely candidate to stay at center. Bowen Byram also deserves to be in the discussion, as does Dylan Cozens (another big projectable center from out west).

Alex Newhook is another interesting possibility. The reason I don't see him launching a huge challenge at Hughes is that they are very similar players, and if people go against Hughes, it's probably due to the team seeing that type of player as a winger and wants either a franchise center or defender.

As of right now, Hughes has a sizable lead. Not sure if its quite the lead Matthews entered 2016 with against guys like Chychrun, Puljujarvi and Laine but its probably similar or the one Taylor Hall and Stamkos entered their draft year with. Both Hall and Matthews, in the end, got challenged, Stamkos not so much.

Kakko and Turcotte both deserve to be in the discussion. I have a hard time at the moment seeing a player who is viewed as a winger passing Hughes but it's possible. Kakko showed flashes of being a truly elite talent at 5 nations and could explode next year.

Reactions: Frannel

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Meyer definitely has me intrigued. I am very hopeful he turns into a Wheeler over an Ambroz/Bittner/Budish type player. Been burned plenty of times by these hulking kids who fade away, I will wait until I see more of him to comment.

As for the Central Illinois Flying Aces, I wish Meyer would have played some more games, but also wanted to see more out of the other young stud on that team - Garrett Wright out of Mesa Arizona who has signed with Portland of the WHL and will be playing there next year. Very excited to see how he does in Portland and beyond for the 6'1 170lb center.
Sounds like Brady Meyer had a very good weekend with Central Illinois.

Reactions: AmericanDream

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
I think Kakko has chances to become the first one to compete with Hughes, after 5 Nations Cup, Pronman mentioned Kakko is his second choice in 2019 mock right now (so on some lists on this forum he's quite underrated), but it's still too early. I think Kakko is much better prospect than Kotkaniemi (who's quite underrated on his own, borderline top10 pick for sure), and he has an advantage of Finnish prospects being so good recently (so having better stats in Finland than Rantanen or Aho in similar age would be meaningful for scouts), but he'd need some astonishing season in Liiga next year to be a true contender for first pick. But it's not impossible, his 5 Nations Cup's performance was impressive.

The other thing is even he become ''only'' top5 prospect that still would be amazing for Finland.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Kakko has chances to become the first one to compete with Hughes, after 5 Nations Cup, Pronman mentioned Kakko is his second choice in 2019 mock right now (so on some lists on this forum he's quite underrated), but it's still too early. I think Kakko is much better prospect than Kotkaniemi (who's quite underrated on his own, borderline top10 pick for sure), and he has an advantage of Finnish prospects being so good recently (so having better stats in Finland than Rantanen or Aho in similar age would be meaningful for scouts), but he'd need some astonishing season in Liiga next year to be a true contender for first pick. But it's not impossible, his 5 Nations Cup's performance was impressive.

The other thing is even he become ''only'' top5 prospect that still would be amazing for Finland.

I don't think Kakko is good enough to compete for 1OA. He's a winger with average speed, and he's not like a Laine-esque winger who could be stationary and still put up points. He's very good, and I think he'll likely be top 10, maybe top 5, but I think the early Liiga playing time and 5 Nations appearance might be making him a little overrated right now compared to some other 2019 draft eligibles.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hughes will get challenged by someone, but he'll be hard to catch.

If I was going to gamble on someone, I'd probably gamble on Kirby Dach. The main reason for this is, bad teams, need franchise centers, and scouts fall in love with guys who are close to 6'4, a good skater, with high hockey-IQ who projects as a likely candidate to stay at center. Bowen Byram also deserves to be in the discussion, as does Dylan Cozens (another big projectable center from out west).

Alex Newhook is another interesting possibility. The reason I don't see him launching a huge challenge at Hughes is that they are very similar players, and if people go against Hughes, it's probably due to the team seeing that type of player as a winger and wants either a franchise center or defender.

As of right now, Hughes has a sizable lead. Not sure if its quite the lead Matthews entered 2016 with against guys like Chychrun, Puljujarvi and Laine but its probably similar or the one Taylor Hall and Stamkos entered their draft year with. Both Hall and Matthews, in the end, got challenged, Stamkos not so much.

Kakko and Turcotte both deserve to be in the discussion. I have a hard time at the moment seeing a player who is viewed as a winger passing Hughes but it's possible. Kakko showed flashes of being a truly elite talent at 5 nations and could explode next year.

I don't see any of the CHL centers being challengers for 1OA. Hughes is formidable competition. Even if he has a down draft-eligible season, he's basically already put up a 1OA draft-eligible season. None of those CHL centers had anything close to a formidable season, so they'd really need to be like 100+ points to be competing with Hughes next season. I think Byram has put up the best case so far among CHL players. He's had a very strong season, and is looking like the top challenger to Hughes. If he can equal Hughes draft-eligible season, I think he has a good chance of going 1OA. What if the team picking first needs a defenseman and is already stacked with scoring forwards?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't see any of the CHL centers being challengers for 1OA. Hughes is formidable competition. Even if he has a down draft-eligible season, he's basically already put up a 1OA draft-eligible season. None of those CHL centers had anything close to a formidable season, so they'd really need to be like 100+ points to be competing with Hughes next season. I think Byram has put up the best case so far among CHL players. He's had a very strong season, and is looking like the top challenger to Hughes. If he can equal Hughes draft-eligible season, I think he has a good chance of going 1OA. What if the team picking first needs a defenseman and is already stacked with scoring forwards?
Teams drafting 1st are rarely stacked with scoring forwards. Hell, even if they are, they lean center if its close (see MacKinnon over Jones).

I expect Hughes to remain number 1, but Dach and Cozens have the tools you desire in franchise centers. Both could explode next year. Cozens has had a pretty strong year and prior history.

When you look at the guys who challenged players who looked like run-away number 1's in recent years, which I would put down as Patrick, Matthews, and Hall most of their challengers didn't really have the strongest profiles entering the year. Hischier was in my eyes a top 10 kid, but wasn't in Bob's top 15, Seguin wasn't viewed as a top 5 guy and Laine had a great U-18, but was behind Puljujarvi and Chychrun at the very least. Both of those guys will enter next year as top 10 prospects.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

though not a center, I have to imagine Arthur Kaliyev having his name in some conversations shortly. first 16 year old OHL player since Galchenyuk to score 30 (he has 31 already)...this guy looks to be the real deal.

Hughes, Turcotte, and Kaliyev all look top 10 for this draft right now...

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016

I agree Kakko is imo the guy who can challenge Hughes but ultimately Hughes goes number 1..

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
2 other names to keep an eye on out of the USHL -

Michael Mancinelli - he is playing wonderful for Madison in his 16 year old season.. Kid has some explosiveness and high end skill. I wonder if the USNDP has a few defections, if this kid gets the call like Gavin Hain did...keep an eye on him, he is doing very well early on.

Robert Mastrosimone - like Mancinelli above, kid has elite skills but a tad undersized right now. still plenty of time to get stronger, but he is having a fantastic rookie season for the Steel - definitely keep an eye on him as well...

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Some goalies to keep an eye on:

Spencer Knight: Right now has the best chance at being the first goalie off the board in the 2019 Draft and has a good chance of going in the first round. He's exactly what you want in a goalie prospect from physical skills, technical skills, size, and plays well above his age level. As a U18 goalie he'll have a really solid shot of making the WJC team. Not to mention he's having an amazing season right now on the U17 team.

Nolan Maier: Had the best 16yo rookie goalie season in the CHL this year. Really took over for Saskatoon and made a nice run for the playoffs despite missing.

Colten Ellis: Had the best CHL rookie season as a U18 goalie in a really impressive way as well.

Dustin Wolf: He's the Amir Miftakhov/Juuse Saros of this draft. He's a very good goalie whose only downside is his frame at this point. Next season he'll be the starter for Everett and have a chance to show off his abilities. Playing under Carter Hart will be a great learning experience for him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Some goalies to keep an eye on:

Spencer Knight: Right now has the best chance at being the first goalie off the board in the 2019 Draft and has a good chance of going in the first round. He's exactly what you want in a goalie prospect from physical skills, technical skills, size, and plays well above his age level. As a U18 goalie he'll have a really solid shot of making the WJC team. Not to mention he's having an amazing season right now on the U17 team.

Nolan Maier: Had the best 16yo rookie goalie season in the CHL this year. Really took over for Saskatoon and made a nice run for the playoffs despite missing.

Colten Ellis: Had the best CHL rookie season as a U18 goalie in a really impressive way as well.

Dustin Wolf: He's the Amir Miftakhov/Juuse Saros of this draft. He's a very good goalie whose only downside is his frame at this point. Next season he'll be the starter for Everett and have a chance to show off his abilities. Playing under Carter Hart will be a great learning experience for him.

definitely keep an eye on Knight- he got promoted up to the u-18 team a few weeks back...he could be the best thing this program has produced since Gibson.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
though not a center, I have to imagine Arthur Kaliyev having his name in some conversations shortly. first 16 year old OHL player since Galchenyuk to score 30 (he has 31 already)...this guy looks to be the real deal.

Hughes, Turcotte, and Kaliyev all look top 10 for this draft right now...
Kaliyev isn't in top 10 consideration yet. I'm not even sure he's a first rounder. This is a terrible OHL crop. With some thinking, Ryan Suzuki is the only one worthy of a 1st round pick at the moment, and even he is underwhelming.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kaliyev isn't in top 10 consideration yet. I'm not even sure he's a first rounder. This is a terrible OHL crop. With some thinking, Ryan Suzuki is the only one worthy of a 1st round pick at the moment, and even he is underwhelming.

Why does whether its a good or bad OHL crop matter towards Kaliyev? He's had a season that should put him for now in first round consideration, for sure.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Byram is an absolute stud. I've been watching him since he came up with the Giants (I'm a STH). The thing is i'm not sure he has the PP acumen of a all situations #1. Reminds me of a carbon copy of Dan Hamhuis and certainly has the foundation of a player that could be in the conversation but as it stands will not unseat a top level scorer.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I value your opinion, but I will disagree here. I have taken time to watch him, he is a 1st round pick right now - has the chance to go real high. the other people I talk to out of the OHL really really like this kid as well - so much untapped there right now, very bright future. he could drop or level off for next year, but every indicator I have seen, read, or talked to has this kid going pretty high in the draft..

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why does whether its a good or bad OHL crop matter towards Kaliyev? He's had a season that should put him for now in first round consideration, for sure.
It was pointing out it is a common view the only first rounder among them is Ryan Suzuki. We'll see if Kaliyev makes it a serious discussion next year to challenge for top 10, but right now I don't see it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I value your opinion, but I will disagree here. I have taken time to watch him, he is a 1st round pick right now - has the chance to go real high. the other people I talk to out of the OHL really really like this kid as well - so much untapped there right now, very bright future. he could drop or level off for next year, but every indicator I have seen, read, or talked to has this kid going pretty high in the draft..
I haven't seen anyone really put him close to the top 10. He seems generally to be viewed as a past 20 pick. Still a year away so a lot can change.

edit: I guess Brock Otten did, but I don't think its a serious discussion league wide.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I haven't seen anyone really put him close to the top 10. He seems generally to be viewed as a past 20 pick. Still a year away so a lot can change.

edit: I guess Brock Otten did, but I don't think its a serious discussion league wide.

it is all good, too early right now to get into all of it, but if there are 19 better kids than this, what a monster draft it will be.

I actually just got a few scouting reports on him in the past 2 weeks, I think lists if they are out there for 2019, will all start having him closer to #10 then 20.

It has been 6 years since a 16 year old hit 30 goals in the OHL, and this kid did it - stats do not tell the whole story, his size and strength put him well ahead of many for this draft right now. I will tamper expectations as I have seen kids fade in their draft year, but again, besides what my eyes have seen, those I have spoken to have this kid as the #1 OHL prospect and a potential top 10 pick...plenty of time for that t hold true or not.

would love to see him added to Team USA at the u-18 this month as well...doubtful but possible.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
it is all good, too early right now to get into all of it, but if there are 19 better kids than this, what a monster draft it will be.

I actually just got a few scouting reports on him in the past 2 weeks, I think lists if they are out there for 2019, will all start having him closer to #10 then 20.

It has been 6 years since a 16 year old hit 30 goals in the OHL, and this kid did it - stats do not tell the whole story, his size and strength put him well ahead of many for this draft right now. I will tamper expectations as I have seen kids fade in their draft year, but again, besides what my eyes have seen, those I have spoken to have this kid as the #1 OHL prospect and a potential top 10 pick...plenty of time for that t hold true or not.

would love to see him added to Team USA at the u-18 this month as well...doubtful but possible.
At the moment, I don't think being the top OHL kid really means much.

I'd expect to see him behind Hughes, Tucotte, Dach, Krebs, Cozens, Kakko, Byram, Newhook, and Lavoie. Then there are a bunch of other guys in the discussion like Boldy, Vlasic, Nolan Foote, Cam York, Matthew Robertson, etc.

Neither list out for 19 yet has him top 10. Not that I put too much weight into 2019 lists yet, or Button's opinion based almost exclusively on the u-17 challenge or the Hockey News take (as I found some of there rankings absurd).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
At the moment, I don't think being the top OHL kid really means much.

I'd expect to see him behind Hughes, Tucotte, Dach, Krebs, Cozens, Kakko, Byram, Newhook, and Lavoie. Then there are a bunch of other guys in the discussion like Boldy, Vlasic, Nolan Foote, Cam York, Matthew Robertson, etc.

Neither list out for 19 yet has him top 10. Not that I put too much weight into 2019 lists yet, or Button's opinion based almost exclusively on the u-17 challenge or the Hockey News take (as I found some of there rankings absurd).
yeah who knows what the lists will say - but I have started building mine, I have him behind 7 of the names you listed, thats it for me...he has some things to work on, not in the greatest of spotlight cities either...would like to see him at the u-18 in April though...could play next year in it too..

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
yeah who knows what the lists will say - but I have started building mine, I have him behind 7 of the names you listed, thats it for me...he has some things to work on, not in the greatest of spotlight cities either...would like to see him at the u-18 in April though...could play next year in it too..
He'll probably still be in the playoffs this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->