2019 NHL Draft Prospects

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Does Anttoni Honka or Brady Meyer make the 1st round?
I'd say for sure but his rights are with Central Illinois and it's always tough to show much when a team is in the cellar. Saw him play last summer a few times and he was the talk of many of the NHL scouts. I coached against Blake Wheeler when he was around his age and the similarities are uncanny. Very rare to see 6'5" kid do the things he does and with speed.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Does Anttoni Honka or Brady Meyer make the 1st round?
Anttoni is much more talented than his older brother and considering where Julius went, there's no reason why he wouldn't be a first rounder - An early first rounder to boot.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Anttoni is much more talented than his older brother and considering where Julius went, there's no reason why he wouldn't be a first rounder - An early first rounder to boot.

Yeah I know, cause I don’t think Ive seen a D-1 prospect score 0.45 PPG as a defensemen before but does, I was just wondering how much does his size hurt him in the draft as he is a 5’9” defensemen(if he was 6’1” or over with those stats he’d probably be a lock on the Top 5 pick).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
did some more following on 2019 draft stud Arthur Kaliyev - Hamilton Bulldogs - yep, I am pretty sold on this kids game. Strong on his skates, strong along the boards, and strong shot and net presence. He looks to be a legit top 10 prospect for this draft. Very exciting player to keep tabs on.

Reactions: 99664987

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'd say for sure but his rights are with Central Illinois and it's always tough to show much when a team is in the cellar. Saw him play last summer a few times and he was the talk of many of the NHL scouts. I coached against Blake Wheeler when he was around his age and the similarities are uncanny. Very rare to see 6'5" kid do the things he does and with speed.

Meyer definitely has me intrigued. I am very hopeful he turns into a Wheeler over an Ambroz/Bittner/Budish type player. Been burned plenty of times by these hulking kids who fade away, I will wait until I see more of him to comment.

As for the Central Illinois Flying Aces, I wish Meyer would have played some more games, but also wanted to see more out of the other young stud on that team - Garrett Wright out of Mesa Arizona who has signed with Portland of the WHL and will be playing there next year. Very excited to see how he does in Portland and beyond for the 6'1 170lb center.

Last edited:

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
As for the Central Illinois Flying Aces, I wish Meyer would have played some more games, but also wanted to see more out of the other young stud on that team - Garrett Wright out of Mesa Arizona who has signed with Portland of the WHL and will be playing there next year. Very excited to see how he does in Portland and beyond for the 6'1 170lb center.

When did Wright sign with Portland? He wasn't drafted, or listed on the prospects page of the team, or a press release about him signing that I can find.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Meyer definitely has me intrigued. I am very hopeful he turns into a Wheeler over an Ambroz/Bittner/Budish type player. Been burned plenty of times by these hulking kids who fade away, I will wait until I see more of him to comment.

Budish had the nagging knee injury from football and Bittner was dominant in the WHL until the hip injury slowed him way down. Not sure on Ambroz other than he was a very early bloomer. Let's hope he's more in line with the many big players that have made it out of Minnesota.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah I know, cause I don’t think Ive seen a D-1 prospect score 0.45 PPG as a defensemen before but does, I was just wondering how much does his size hurt him in the draft as he is a 5’9” defensemen(if he was 6’1” or over with those stats he’d probably be a lock on the Top 5 pick).
That's tough to say but a certain brand of defenseman doesn't really need that much size to do what he needs to do.

You might remember how highly touted Miro Heiskanen was after scoring 10 points in 37 games in Liiga - Honka's scoring is far beyond his already.

But it's not just scoring. His advanced stats, +/- and such are completely insane. Take corsi % - He actually leads the entire league when considering players who have played over 3 games, at 62.5%. Plus/minus is +15, -4 for +11. Needless to say, no other player on his team is anywhere near his GF%. I doubt anyone's even within 10% of his.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
That's tough to say but a certain brand of defenseman doesn't really need that much size to do what he needs to do.

You might remember how highly touted Miro Heiskanen was after scoring 10 points in 37 games in Liiga - Honka's scoring is far beyond his already.

But it's not just scoring. His advanced stats, +/- and such are completely insane. Take corsi % - He actually leads the entire league when considering players who have played over 3 games, at 62.5%. Plus/minus is +15, -4 for +11. Needless to say, no other player on his team is anywhere near his GF%. I doubt anyone's even within 10% of his.
Where do you get advanced stats for Liiga?

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Would anyone be kind enough to spitball a list of 31 names. I know it is still far out, but I’m curious about what it would look like right now.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I know he just got hurt but u gotta have Case McCarthy up there

I don't know where he stacks up to be honest. He has left me wanting more out of him, I see possibly 2 defenders ahead of him draft wise next year from the USNDP team...he is definitely a solid prospect and well worth some talk and recognition...I think he has another level/gear to hit that we haven't seen yet.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Alex Turcotte is the #2 prospect after Hughes to me. Meanwhile, I think one player to follow is Russian Yaroslav Likhachyov, who was very very good in the one game I have seen from him. I need to watch him more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad