Prospect Info: 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #12

Who is the 2019 Capitals overall prospect #12?

• Tobias Geisser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitchell Gibson

• Martin Has

• Alex Kannok-Leipert

• Tyler Lewington

• Bobby Nardella

• Liam O’Brien

• Brian Pinho

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
2019 Capitals Prospects Rankings:

8478492.jpg
1) Ilya Samsonov G (40 votes 64.5%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #1
6' 3" | 200 lb | Age: 22 | 2015 WSH, 1st rd, 22nd pk (22nd overall)

webp-net-resizeimage-jpg.244495
2) Alex Alexeyev LD (42 votes 91.3%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #2
6' 4" | 196 lb | Age: 19 | 2018 WSH, 1st rd, 31st pk (31st overall)

8481580.jpg
3) Connor McMichael C (29 votes 48.3%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #3
5' 11" | 174 lb | Age: 18 | 2019 WSH, 1st rd, 25th pk (25th overall)

mf-2-jpg.244935
4) Martin Fehervary LD (45 votes 91.8%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #4
6' 2" | 194 lb | Age: 19 | 2018 WSH, 2nd rd, 15th pk (46th overall)

bl-jpg.245097
5) Brett Leason RW (27 votes 55.1%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #5
6' 4" | 200 lb | Age: 20 | 2019 WSH, 2nd rd, 25th pk (56th overall)

8479321.jpg
6) Lucas Johansen LD (21 votes 43.8%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #6
6' 2" | 182 lb | Age: 21 | 2016 WSH, 1st rd, 28th pk (28th overall)

8477970.jpg
7) Vitek Vanecek G (25 votes 65.8%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #7
6' 1" | 187 lb | Age: 23 | 2014 WSH, 2nd rd, 9th pk (39th overall)

ajf-jpg.245913
8) Axel Jonsson-Fjallby LW (14 votes 31.1%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #8
6' 0" | 170 lb | Age: 21 | 2016 WSH, 5th rd, 26th pk (147th overall)

joesnively-jpg.246397
9) Joe Snively C (11 votes 22.9%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #9
5' 9" | 170 lb | Age: 23 | 2019 WSH, signed (undrafted)

webp-net-resizeimage-1-jpg.246671
10) Riley Sutter RW (9 votes 27.3%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #10
6' 3" | 200 lb | Age: 19 | 2018 WSH, 3rd rd, 31st pk (93rd overall)

beckmalenstyn.jpg
11) Beck Malenstyn LW (12 votes 38.7%) Prospect Info: - 2019 Capitals Top Prospect #11
6' 2" | 198 lb | Age: 21 | 2016 WSH, 5th rd, 24th pk (145th overall)

With the 2019 draft and development camp done and finished, what do you think the Caps prospect rankings should be this year? Part of an ongoing series.

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with a lot of them, so it'll be interesting to read what you guys think.

I took this initial list from another site, so feel free to request an add of another prospect!

The requirement is U25, and less than 25 NHL games played.

Note: I'll start the next prospect ranking thread the next day if the polling isn't close. If two or more prospects are within 10 votes of each other, I'll leave that thread out for the additional day.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Heads up, I'm probably going to stop after the top 15.

After this tier of prospects, the rest have a very low chance of becoming an NHLer or very, very raw.

I appreciate all the votes and comments. The list is shaping up to be pretty good, and these kids look promising and exciting!

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
Who has the higher upside? Pilon or Gersich?

Edit: or Protoss?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Heads up, I'm probably going to stop after the top 15.

After this tier of prospects, the rest have a very low chance of becoming an NHLer or very, very raw.

I appreciate all the votes and comments. The list is shaping up to be pretty good, and these kids look promising and exciting!

Sugar Shane!

And please do top 20. I think that’s what we did last year

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
Gersich has a higher ceiling than both of them. I don't think that's really debatable right now.

Meh. If this were a speed skating competition, I would agree. As it stands, I'm not really sure what else Gersich has brought to the rink the past two seasons other than a whole lot of empty hype and zero production. Pilon still has my vote.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Gersich has a higher ceiling than both of them. I don't think that's really debatable right now.
I don't think ceiling is the issue with Protas. He's a high risk, high reward type of prospect. If he improves his skating and continues to round out his game, he could contend for a regular top 6 spot as a complimentary player. But there's some very real risk that he simply never gets there, and doesn't have an NHL career at all.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
You have to be a hell of a winger to be worth more than a competent 6’5” center, like Kevin Hayes is worth a shitload just because (voted Protas last 2 rounds)

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Meh. If this were a speed skating competition, I would agree. As it stands, I'm not really sure what else Gersich has brought to the rink the past two seasons other than a whole lot of empty hype and zero production. Pilon still has my vote.

Sounds like you were talking about AJF. Gersich improved in his two way game tremendously last year.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Honest question from someone who hasn't really watched him: where does the hype come from on Gersich? I see he had a 20 goal season in the NCAA, but so did the guy Hershey just signed to a PTO, and apparently Shane was on a line with Brock Boeser and Tyler Jost that year. I know scouting stat lines doesn't tell the whole story, but seeing his goal totals drop off after his linemates left to be NHL starters, followed by disappointing production in Hershey, doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Aside from his skating, what are you guys seeing that in him that makes you think he has so much upside, particularly over a guy like Pilon who's nearly two years younger and outproduced him in Hershey last year?

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
Honest question from someone who hasn't really watched him: where does the hype come from on Gersich? I see he had a 20 goal season in the NCAA, but so did the guy Hershey just signed to a PTO, and apparently Shane was on a line with Brock Boeser and Tyler Jost that year. I know scouting stat lines doesn't tell the whole story, but seeing his goal totals drop off after his linemates left to be NHL starters, followed by disappointing production in Hershey, doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Aside from his skating, what are you guys seeing that in him that makes you think he has so much upside, particularly over a guy like Pilon who's nearly two years younger and outproduced him in Hershey last year?

Yeah, I feel entirely the same way/have the same exact questions.

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
Plus, there are other young players like Riat that can skate well, but are producing more in their respective leagues/international play, but Gersich seems to get all the hype for whatever reason.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019

Tenacious puck chasing ability and a good NHL forechecker is appealing. His two-way game is developing very well, as someone who watched him a lot last year. Only Malenstyn is eally close as a two way guy. I think people are just disappointed with the scoring - he should be producing better against the competition he's facing. Because he absolutely passes the eye test put there.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Tenacious puck chasing ability and a good NHL forechecker is appealing. His two-way game is developing very well, as someone who watched him a lot last year. Only Malenstyn is eally close as a two way guy. I think people are just disappointed with the scoring - he should be producing better against the competition he's facing. Because he absolutely passes the eye test put there.
But does it distinguish him from a scrap-heap player like Leipsic that has produced more consistently over his career? We're well into the territory of non-sure NHLers so I more or less have to shoot for high upside. Unless Gersich manages to add considerable lower body strength and also better production it's hard to believe in him as a sure bet type depth player. I'd take Pilon over him in that regard given that he's fairly well-rounded, outproduced him, offers more positional versatility and is two years younger. Not that Gersich isn't improving but I don't think a better two-way game is a sign he's come that far after his first pro season. He brings some decent intangibles maybe but, again, I don't know that his game stands to be any more effective than Leipsic.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Futures Passed

Sep 2, 2018
But does it distinguish him from a scrap-heap player like Leipsic that has produced more consistently over his career? We're well into the territory of non-sure NHLers so I more or less have to shoot for high upside. Unless Gersich manages to add considerable lower body strength and also better production it's hard to believe in him as a sure bet type depth player. I'd take Pilon over him in that regard given that he's fairly well-rounded, outproduced him, offers more positional versatility and is two years younger. Not that Gersich isn't improving but I don't think a better two-way game is a sign he's come that far after his first pro season. He brings some decent intangibles maybe but, again, I don't know that his game stands to be any more effective than Leipsic.

Agreed entirely and, what's more, Lepsic is an elite level pest/agitator who is in your face all game.

Really though, Gersich is lucky the Caps forward prospect depth has been so weak of late and he has another golden opportunity to produce for Hershey this year and get a cup of coffee with the Caps. It's a make or break season for him in many ways. If he comes in with his shot looking polished and he starts cashing in on his scoring opportunities, while continuing to grow his two way game, then he will almost certainly get a call up from the Caps at some point when the injuries hit. If he fails to cash in, he's going to find himself possibly competing with Leason, Protas, McMichael, Clark, Sutter, Riat, AJF, Pilon, and others for a shot next season. This is really his big chance. If he fails to capitalize, he gets passed in the depth chart.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019

I have no problem with people putting Pilon ahead of Gersich. In fact, if Pilon keeps improving, he probably WILL be consensus better prospect than Gersich. But I have more of an issue of people picking guys like Protas who is extremely raw and needs to get miles better in a lot of areas to even be considered an NHLer, let alone a good one. Gersich doesn't have miles to go before he can be a 4th line NHLer IMO.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I have no problem with people putting Pilon ahead of Gersich. In fact, if Pilon keeps improving, he probably WILL be consensus better prospect than Gersich. But I have more of an issue of people picking guys like Protas who is extremely raw and needs to get miles better in a lot of areas to even be considered an NHLer, let alone a good one. Gersich doesn't have miles to go before he can be a 4th line NHLer IMO.
It's the chance, however slight, that Protas could become a legit scoring-line producer that's intriguing. In other words, would I trade Gersich for Protas? Yes, particularly given all of the other players in the system that already provide a fourth-line type skillset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad