2018 World Junior Championship Thread

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Didn't realize how even the big 5 have been represented of late in the finals. Last 5 yrs there's 2 appearances each from Can, US, Swe, Rus, Fin. That's kinda amazing. And Canada w just the 1 win since their 2005-2009 reign of terror. Great for global fans I suppose.

Reactions: DDRhockey

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Every year they manage to have at least 5 prospects representing teams in the WJC.

Wasn't there one year when Tampa had around 10 prospects going to the WJC? Just incredible drafting and development from them.

The rich getting richer, Tampa clearly has the best team in ten NHL now and going forward.

Really the only noticeable blunder Yzerman made was passing on Seth Jones for Jonathan Drouin, but he then turned Drouin into a future top pairing guy in Sergachev fwiw.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hockey Canada's roster is head scratching. No Glass, Suzuki, or Tippett. Could easily see this team having scoring problems.

Dipietro not making it makes sense considering Point and Hart both have great numbers this season.

Yup. This team has a lot of grinders and no real high-end talent. Seems crazy to cut Suzuki and Glass.

It's a skilled blueline so maybe they can get the most out of the forward group but it's hard not to think this team will struggle to score goals.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Definitely the worst team Canada in recent memory. Gadjovich definitely should not have made the team even if I liked that pick.

Gonna be rooting for Sweden on this one though.

The rich getting richer, Tampa clearly has the best team in ten NHL now and going forward.

Really the only noticeable blunder Yzerman made was passing on Seth Jones for Jonathan Drouin, but he then turned Drouin into a future top pairing guy in Sergachev fwiw.

It's honestly insanely unlucky for them to not have a cup in the past 3 years. Aside from the Patriots, this is definitely the best run organization in North American Sports.

But I still have no idea how Yzerman was the one who signed Girardi -- that was extremely uncharacteristic of him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Definitely the worst team Canada in recent memory. Gadjovich definitely should not have made the team even if I liked that pick.

Gonna be rooting for Sweden on this one though.

It's honestly insanely unlucky for them to not have a cup in the past 3 years. Aside from the Patriots, this is definitely the best run organization in North American Sports.

But I still have no idea how Yzerman was the one who signed Girardi -- that was extremely uncharacteristic of him.

Girardi was a great Moneyball signing.

As a top-pairing shutdown defender making $6 million or whatever, he sucked.

As a 3rd pairing guy playing 17 minutes/game on a reasonable salary, he's been a fine signing and done very well there.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The Canadian team looks disgusting. Cheering on Petterson to dominate them.

My loyalty to the Canucks is greater than country.

My loyalty to my country is far greater than the Canucks. Especially with the trash management the Canucks have now, but even before them I was loyal to Canada first and foremost.

Reactions: ayoshi and Hagstrom

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I like rooting for an underdog, and if this is a rare occasion where Canada fits that bill at then WJC, so much the better.

Sucks about Lind and DiPietro being cut (and what's the deal with interviewing 18 year old kids moments after they get dealt news like that? Jeez), but I'll be pulling for Gadjovich and the rest of the guys.

Also hope Pettersson, Juolevi and Lockwood have good tournaments for their teams.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Carter Hart will have to flat out 'steal' some games in this tournament for Canada to have any shot. Been a long time since any Canadian goalie has been able to do that. Could happen this year, but not betting on it.

Mudshark50

Nov 25, 2005
NorthVancouver
I like rooting for an underdog, and if this is a rare occasion where Canada fits that bill at then WJC, so much the better.

Sucks about Lind and DiPietro being cut (and what's the deal with interviewing 18 year old kids moments after they get dealt news like that? Jeez), but I'll be pulling for Gadjovich and the rest of the guys.

Also hope Pettersson, Juolevi and Lockwood have good tournaments for their teams.

I don't see Lockwood on the US roster.

2017 WJC U.S. Roster

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I figured we could do with an all-purpose WJC thread given that 6 Canucks prospects were added to their respective' countries preliminary rosters today. For quick reference, they are;

CANADA:
Kole Lind
Jonah Gadjovich
Michael DiPietro

USA:
William Lockwood

SWEDEN:
Elias Pettersson

FINLAND:
Olli Juolevi

WJCs are always fun to watch, but with this much potential Canuck content, it could be an even bigger treat than usual!
so who's left?
Pettersson, Joulevi, Gadjovich, ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad