GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 31 • Gold: SWE (1) - CAN (3) F

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
These games are a lot of fun to watch when you don't care who wins :nod:

Can't wait for it. Close game, I guess I'll predict Sweden 3-2. But whoever wins gold it will be well deserved

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Canada will win gold. It's a real shame we can't get gold again in the Olympics with our NHLers there
Ya, I think Canada wins. But how much gold do we need to convince ourselves that we are still the dominant hockey nation. Truth is, its like curling....we're the only people on the planet who actually care.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
I agree with some of the Canadian fans here, its Canadian depth vs Swedish top talent. However, its weird to see Swedish 4th liners snipe like Kucherov and that makes this Swedish team hard to define. To me the swedes look slightly disjointed and without a proper (or functional) system. Forwards have a tendency to end up on the wrong side of things in the offensive zone and our goalie cant hold on to weak wristers even if his life depended on it. I do believe, to my surprise, that the rise of Liljegrens game is a key part of this success. He has been really good and made plays that put the team ahead.

The head says Canada but the heart says Sweden! Im still confused with this Swedish team and Nylander is looking so much worse than last year. Who knows what they will bring on any given evening and who will bring it. Lets hope it will be a fun game although i suspect it will be a similar standoff game like the game between sweden and usa. Once the scoring starts it will take off.

Reactions: helax

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
I disagree with the depth analysis: Sweden's depth is at least as good as Canada's this year, and the top players are much better. However, Sweden has a much worse coach and system than Canada. Sweden needs to win on the back of superior skill, while Canada can win on being more cohesive and tactical. Sweden's first line need to come up big and make their best game of the tournament, and Gustavsson needs to keep impressing in net.

Jeppe950

May 21, 2013
I see Canada as favourites and I would bet on 4-3 in Canada's favour, but I hope that Sweden can pull through and acquire another gold. Heja Swärje!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ya, I think Canada wins. But how much gold do we need to convince ourselves that we are still the dominant hockey nation. Truth is, its like curling....we're the only people on the planet who actually care.

All the Golds

Reactions: maclean

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
HART's gotta stand on his head for this one. Canada has only had 1 tough opponent so far, and they lost that game (USA).

5-2 Win for Canada
GO CANADA GO :win:

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
On one hand it's really hard to go pick against Canada winning gold in a North American tournament, but on the other hand I get the feeling this is Sweden's best chance to ditch their moniker of chokers and finally beat Canada for gold. It's too close to call, but I've just had a gut feeling all tournament Sweden would end up winning it all, some I'm going to go with my gut and say...

3-2 Sweden

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Agreed but I'm starting to think it'd be pretty hilarious for Makar to be the Canadian point leader as the 7th D.
And at the end of the day....with all the complaining about Makar's ice time. It has been working. He has been running the top powerplay in the tournament the entire tournament and putting up a ton of points and looked really good doing so. The rest of Canada's defense has looked great as well. Whatever it is they are doing it is working which is all that matters.

Reactions: Pouliot

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
"Agreed but I'm starting to think it'd be pretty hilarious for Makar to be the Canadian point leader as the 7th D."

Totally agree but this is an example of a broader problem with hockey in Canada at this time and it seems to occur at many levels. Certain players are anointed and scouts, teams etc. are afraid to be wrong and so they need to ensure that the chosen ones are given every chance to be made to be successful. Hockey Canada is no different. Makar is so much better than the other D it is just ridiculous that he isn't over 20 minutes per game. Play the kid and play him a ton and Canada wins gold.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Deserved end game for a very meh tournament. No real star power and CAN has been able to get by despite being very overrated as a hockey team. Seems like a lot of teams brought their B game this tournament. Sweden will win the gold if they keep their emotions and nerves in check and if the refs can be counted on to call a fair and balanced game. The fact most of the players in Sweden play a pro game compared to questionable junior hockey should shine through. Being better conditioned, better trained and having better fundamentals will hopefully prevail. Just survive the classic physical and emotional CAN onslaught the first 10-20 minutes.

Canada hasn't been overrated as a hockey team at all, they have been exactly as advertised by the media here......................4 lines deep wiith speed, solid all around but with no real star power like most Canadian teams (though Makar and Batherson have sort of emerged as stars here)

They were not super hyped whatsoever, don't know where you are getting that idea.

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
"Agreed but I'm starting to think it'd be pretty hilarious for Makar to be the Canadian point leader as the 7th D."

Totally agree but this is an example of a broader problem with hockey in Canada at this time and it seems to occur at many levels. Certain players are anointed and scouts, teams etc. are afraid to be wrong and so they need to ensure that the chosen ones are given every chance to be made to be successful. Hockey Canada is no different. Makar is so much better than the other D it is just ridiculous that he isn't over 20 minutes per game. Play the kid and play him a ton and Canada wins gold.
yea, Makar is the best player on Canada. Not even close imo, he needs more ice.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Canada has no star power??? Uhh, forgetting Makar. He was drafted 4th, if he's not a true star then no team has a star.

Reactions: OilerPensfan97

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sweden is very, very, impressive. Strong, fast, and opportunistic.

Best goalie wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad