GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 31 • Gold: SWE (1) - CAN (3) F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
But in all honesty, the US was a lot worse this year than Canada when it comes to diving/embellishment. That semis was just completely bonkers.
I guess that contributed to the Swedes complaining about diving. They were still fed up ;-)
Give him credit for backing off (sorry Google translation -- can someone translate it properly?):
Do you regret your play?
"It was a bit sensitive then, I have to say that Canada did a good match. We did a great tournament and finished on top, but that little was missing."

Also, correcting something... I said Brannstrom refused to shake hands based on someone I generally trust telling me that. Seeing the video of it there was nothing in it, they didn't shake but it was more just an awkward moment of timing, not poor sportsmanship.

Translation is pretty much on point!

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Hahah, I missed this one. :-D
Dahlin tokhyllas – högaktuell för OS efter JVM-insatsen

Dahlin about Canada in the finals:

Attempt to translate:
"- We in Sweden are not grown up (raised) with this behavior. Exaggerating situations, it bothered me a lot. It's a little embarrassing, actually."

In Swedish:
"– Vi i Sverige är inte uppväxta med det beteendet. Överdriver situationer, det stör mig väldigt mycket. Det är lite pinsamt, faktiskt."

My comment: The young generation in Sweden now consider Canada divers? ;-) I guess this is something very positive since I have always considered us (Sweden) being a bit soft in comparison to Canada, now maybe the roles finally are changed, weird, unexpected but fun.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I see it like this- He is so unsatisfied with imperfection, that he doesn't want a reminder of his failure in his life, so he got rid of that reminder.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with being unsatisfied with imperfection. Especially when you're a professional athlete where distain for imperfection and the desire to improve constantly is a virtue and show true competitiveness. However, there's other ways to go about this he could have gotten rid of it or hid it away never wanting to see it again when he got home. Instead he threw it away that saw everyone do what he did. He looked incredibly immature and on my opinion showed terrible sportsmanship. He's only 19 but it showed he's a 19 year old with the maturity of a 19 year old or younger. Guy like my Mcdavid, Matthews and Hischier might all be under the age 20 or younger and Hischier even being younger than Andersson. However they are all mature way beyond their ages and I'm not talking about their play, it's about how they carry themselves off the ice. Andersson showed he's even less mature than what his actual age is and I'm begging her regrets what he did already. With that said he's gonna be a solid player in the NHL for a very long time. I don't believe he'll ever be a first line player but I see a future second line player and high end third liner with a great two way game, from everything I read about him. At worst he'll be that type of player for 15 years plus once he does make the NHL. Just saying he needs to mature mentally that is all and I'm positive he will.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

Attempt to translate:
"- We in Sweden are not grown up (raised) with this behavior. Exaggerating situations, it bothered me a lot. It's a little embarrassing, actually."

In Swedish:
"– Vi i Sverige är inte uppväxta med det beteendet. Överdriver situationer, det stör mig väldigt mycket. Det är lite pinsamt, faktiskt."

My comment: The young generation in Sweden now consider Canada divers? ;-) I guess this is something very positive since I have always considered us (Sweden) being a bit soft in comparison to Canada, now maybe the roles finally are changed, weird, unexpected but fun.
That was a comment made right after the game, just to put it in perspective.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
To all Swedes and supporters
we, meaning Canada, feel we got robbed of gold last year and those of us that follow this blog every day of the year since then feel pretty darn good about winning and maybe get a little excited with some redemption and self satisfaction.
You guys are feeling screwed over but when you guys make it to the finals next year and lose in a shootout, i will have more compassion to your plight.
Get over it!! and move on

blindpass

May 7, 2010
we, meaning Canada, feel we got robbed of gold last year and those of us that follow this blog every day of the year since then feel pretty darn good about winning and maybe get a little excited with some redemption and self satisfaction.
You guys are feeling screwed over but when you guys make it to the finals next year and lose in a shootout, i will have more compassion to your plight.
I don't think you get where they are coming from. They felt cheated in the _semis_ last year, with far better justification than anything they have for feeling cheated this year (which is pretty much zero), so of course they have no sympathy for Canada's shootout loss! It is the accumulation of many frustrations that has them going bonkers this year.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
That was a comment made right after the game, just to put it in perspective.
Yet you still stand with it by promoting a video pumping the same immature narrative ("hahaha, instant classic!" was your sophomoric reaction). Just to put it in perspective.

Maybe Dahlin has redeemed himself... when will you?

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017

Attempt to translate:

In Swedish:

More like Dahlin is a salty little b word haha

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
The only "dive" I saw after watching the game was maybe Kyrou. I find it honestly ridiculous that all these Swedes are mentioning diving without posted any video or clips showing concrete evidence.

Reactions: blindpass

blindpass

May 7, 2010
The only "dive" I saw after watching the game was maybe Kyrou. I find it honestly ridiculous that all these Swedes are mentioning diving without posted any video or clips showing concrete evidence.
They posted video "evidence", it just didn't show any actual diving. Sweden playing the alternative facts strategy with an intransigence Trump would be hard pressed to match.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I don't think you get where they are coming from. They felt cheated in the _semis_ last year, with far better justification than anything they have for feeling cheated this year (which is pretty much zero), so of course they have no sympathy for Canada's shootout loss! It is the accumulation of many frustrations that has them going bonkers this year.

In a game where Sweden gave up 43 shots to Canada and lost 5-2. Not even close my friend.

Autodidact

Jan 7, 2018

You get over last year first. Then we'll talk. ;-)

You have to understand that Sweden is a third the size of Canada. For every Dahlin we get, you get three. So, when we get lucky with player material and have the chance to beat you, we need the refs (or foul play) not to f*** it up. So, being robbed is going to take some time to get over. I'm still not over the Niedermeyer hit on Forsberg ...

Last edited:

WhiningSwede

Jan 9, 2018
Norrbotten
First, congrats to the win. It was a frustrating game to watch.
Now, It is obvious that we have different views on what Swedish and Canadian players are doing right and wrong. I will come to this, but first, can’t we agree on having a more polite discussion here? Calling each other things like immature, salty, whiners, cheaters, foil hats etc. will never bring this to a better understanding from both sides.

I can only represent the Swedish perspective in this issue and I will present two stories, not excusing, but explaining some of what you Canadians calls whining and unsportsmanlike first (1), a story on the history vs. Canada and second, (2) a story of feelings and young Swedish prospects.

1. There is history behind this game. From the player’s side many of the players felt cheated in last year’s JWC, the were warned that the history tends to repeat itself when it comes to important games against Canada. From the fans side, the history goes way back. We know that when Canada is playing for gold, they will do what it takes to win. This is why they are so successful. In the 80s, 90s and early 00s it was about the Canadians giving cheap shots and having goons trying to injure or scare the Swedish star players and goalies (something that never has been seen in the Swedish national league), it has been talked about living conditions and lousy looker rooms for when playing against Canada in Canada. Even referees that want their career to get a boost in the right direction has been mentioned to favour Canada. Many rumours, but I don’t remember one single playoff game that Sweden has won with an equally skilled or less skilled team. We seem to need a much more skilled team to win. This is the general feeling at least, true or not. We also have a historical distinction between our hockey and trans-Atlantic hockey (meaning USA and Canada). However, this embellishment in penalty situations is new to me and has its origin in the trans-Atlantic hockey (well Russia, I will leave Russia for now). First seen last year, followed by the American team this year. In the tv-studios NHL-veterans warned the viewers that Canada will embellish in penalty situations if given the chance. I still think they were right. There was some acting going on, but there were also some Swedish players who did this. The difference was the outcome we got called the Canadians did not. Perhaps that has to do with how much more the Canadian players skated, we will never know.

2. I have come to believe that we have different views on how it is acceptable to show emotions around sports in Canada vs. Sweden. You are name calling a kid who is expressing his inner feelings (with some self-control, I must say. Look at the linked video of a young Peter Forsberg as a comparison). You say he is a whiner, cry baby etc. he is emotional we would say. We like it and enjoy the feelings around the game. Happiness in sports bars (look at the link happiness), sadness, euphoria (video link euphoria), and anger (the young Peter Forsberg), they all have their place. Speaking bad of a referee or the opposite team after a tilted game, is that bad sportsmanship or is it being human? Does it mean that the player is a looser, that won’t win games since he/she is blaming others and the surrounding? That is what I hear from Canadian fans. Take a look at the video with a young Peter Forsberg – is this a looser? A player with bad sportsmanship. A player to hate (as some small proportion of the Canadian fans express yourself at your mother tongue).

So, what was Forsbergs reaction to Lias Anderssons medal tossing?
(”Jag kommer att få kritik för allt”)
Translated:
Would you have thrown the silver medal to the stands like Lias Andersson?
- No, I have two WJC-silver and I am still keeping them. At the same time, I like that he and the other guys are there to win. We must remember that this is young guys, I also did some weird stuff in that age.

Video links:
Angry young Peter Forsberg:
Euforia:
Happiness:

Enjoy the feelings of the game.
I will never stop whining.

Reactions: Frannel

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Sweden?

Cry babys only. Nowadays anyway. Even when they (Sweden) were big in Europe and when the whole Europe they had Finland soldiers as always in the front - hakkapellitta the finish light cavallery they always did the stuff to make Sweden big in Europe.

But Sweden never paid back in the Second World war ... chickens.

Finland were all alone ...

https://www.sf.se/film/NCG228587/okand-soldat

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

The difference is Swedes have always claimed they've felt cheated, they attempted to de-credit Canada's 2014 Olympic Gold because they were missing 3 players..as if their lack of depth is Canada's problem..in a tournament designed to determine the best hockey nation...depth is apart of that. The audacity I tell you, they tend to think the Hockey World and Hockey Gods are out to get them or something, but there's one reality Swedish hockey fans continually ignore and likely for good reason..its the reality that Sweden has lost in the final more than any other hockey nation. They have 11 silvers in the World Juniors, what's that saying? always the bridesmaid never the bride.

Its even worse for Sweden at the IIHF Men's WC where Sweden has world leading 19 silver medals...there has to be a correlation here, Sweden is a very good hockey nation, but not a great one. There lies the key difference, perhaps a tough pill to swallow for Swedes but it has appeared always the bridesmaid never the bride has been their destiny for decade after decade and its time to start at least admitting it instead of coming up with ridiculous excuse after excuse after every loss.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
First, congrats to the win. It was a frustrating game to watch.
Now, It is obvious that we have different views on what Swedish and Canadian players are doing right and wrong. I will come to this, but first, can’t we agree on having a more polite discussion here? Calling each other things like immature, salty, whiners, cheaters, foil hats etc. will never bring this to a better understanding from both sides.

I can only represent the Swedish perspective in this issue and I will present two stories, not excusing, but explaining some of what you Canadians calls whining and unsportsmanlike first (1), a story on the history vs. Canada and second, (2) a story of feelings and young Swedish prospects.

1. There is history behind this game. From the player’s side many of the players felt cheated in last year’s JWC, the were warned that the history tends to repeat itself when it comes to important games against Canada. From the fans side, the history goes way back. We know that when Canada is playing for gold, they will do what it takes to win. This is why they are so successful. In the 80s, 90s and early 00s it was about the Canadians giving cheap shots and having goons trying to injure or scare the Swedish star players and goalies (something that never has been seen in the Swedish national league), it has been talked about living conditions and lousy looker rooms for when playing against Canada in Canada. Even referees that want their career to get a boost in the right direction has been mentioned to favour Canada. Many rumours, but I don’t remember one single playoff game that Sweden has won with an equally skilled or less skilled team. We seem to need a much more skilled team to win. This is the general feeling at least, true or not. We also have a historical distinction between our hockey and trans-Atlantic hockey (meaning USA and Canada). However, this embellishment in penalty situations is new to me and has its origin in the trans-Atlantic hockey (well Russia, I will leave Russia for now). First seen last year, followed by the American team this year. In the tv-studios NHL-veterans warned the viewers that Canada will embellish in penalty situations if given the chance. I still think they were right. There was some acting going on, but there were also some Swedish players who did this. The difference was the outcome we got called the Canadians did not. Perhaps that has to do with how much more the Canadian players skated, we will never know.

2. I have come to believe that we have different views on how it is acceptable to show emotions around sports in Canada vs. Sweden. You are name calling a kid who is expressing his inner feelings (with some self-control, I must say. Look at the linked video of a young Peter Forsberg as a comparison). You say he is a whiner, cry baby etc. he is emotional we would say. We like it and enjoy the feelings around the game. Happiness in sports bars (look at the link happiness), sadness, euphoria (video link euphoria), and anger (the young Peter Forsberg), they all have their place. Speaking bad of a referee or the opposite team after a tilted game, is that bad sportsmanship or is it being human? Does it mean that the player is a looser, that won’t win games since he/she is blaming others and the surrounding? That is what I hear from Canadian fans. Take a look at the video with a young Peter Forsberg – is this a looser? A player with bad sportsmanship. A player to hate (as some small proportion of the Canadian fans express yourself at your mother tongue).

So, what was Forsbergs reaction to Lias Anderssons medal tossing?
(”Jag kommer att få kritik för allt”)
Translated:
Would you have thrown the silver medal to the stands like Lias Andersson?
- No, I have two WJC-silver and I am still keeping them. At the same time, I like that he and the other guys are there to win. We must remember that this is young guys, I also did some weird stuff in that age.

Video links:
Angry young Peter Forsberg:
Euforia:
Happiness:

Enjoy the feelings of the game.
I will never stop whining.

I'm afraid you aren't going to have much luck with a polite conversation here. The unjustified premise that Canada cheated is a pretty bad start.

Demonstrate some evidence for this one claim, said with respect to diving
The difference was the outcome we got called the Canadians did not.

Andersson on Kyrou / Gadjovich on Brannstrom... Those were the penalties with embellishment. None of the others had any. Prove this wrong. Give one shred of evidence.

Edit:
I'll make it easy for you. Here are links to the 6 penalties that were called before the game was over.
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Lindstrom on Katchouk
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Gadjovich on Brannstrom
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Andersson on Kyrou
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Dahlin on McLeod
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Lindstrom on Comtois
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Zetterlund on Formenton

Everything is right here... where's all this embellishment? You describe it yourself -- you went into the game _expecting_ it, so of course you are going to see it on every call. No wonder the players acted so immaturely. If anything is keeping Sweden from winning it is their own mentality.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

blindpass

May 7, 2010
The difference is Swedes have always claimed they've felt cheated, they attempted to de-credit Canada's 2014 Olympic Gold because they were missing 3 players..as if their lack of depth is Canada's problem..the audacity I tell you. They tend to think the Hockey World and Hockey Gods are out to get them or something, but there's one reality Swedish hockey fans continually ignore and likely for good reason..its the reality that Sweden has lost in the final more than any other hockey nation. They have 11 silvers in the World Juniors, what's that saying? always the bridesmaid never the bride.

Its even worse for Sweden at the IIHF Men's WC where Sweden has world leading 19 silver medals...there has to be a correlation here, Sweden is a very good hockey nation, but not a great one. There lies the key difference, perhaps a tough pill to swallow for Swedes but it has appeared always the bridesmaid never the bride has been their destiny for decade after decade and its time to start at least admitting it instead of coming up with ridiculous excuse after excuse after every loss.
You may be right. The reaction this year had been eye-opening for me, I never realized how deep they've got their heads up their asses. The players behaving as they did got my attention and looking deeper at it it seems like a consensus within the country to play the victim, with or without any reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Sweden?

Cry babys only. Nowadays anyway. Even when they (Sweden) were big in Europe and when the whole Europe they had Finland soldiers as always in the front - hakkapellitta the finish light cavallery they always did the stuff to make Sweden big in Europe.

But Sweden never paid back in the Second World war ... chickens.

Finland were all alone ...

https://www.sf.se/film/NCG228587/okand-soldat

Increadibly embarrassing and stupid post

I agree with the Swedish government being stupid cowards during second world war but this has nothing to do with the entire population and people of Sweden. Many actually tried to help Finland by free will, one of my relatives died this way.

Looking at the history Norway, Denmark and Sweden all were part of the increadibly successful Viking era. Most historians now believe Russia was founded by Vikings from Scandinavia.

During 1600 century Sweden were huge and succesful but unfortunately we tried to fight and conquer the Russians (not a very good idea).

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So Canada was regarded by Sweden as a country of players who would injure/beat down/fight/penalize to win and now we’re seen as a team that will dive to win.

Seems like there will always be some excuse floating around.

As long as Canada wins gold medals, there will be always be some diabolical reason why they did so, so this latest shot is hardly novel or resulting in any less eye rolling on the part of Canadians.

Why should we care about our reputation if it’s always something? We stop diving and it will be something else.

Hard to take these criticisms seriously.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Increadibly embarrassing and stupid post

I agree with the Swedish government being stupid cowards during second world war but this has nothing to do with the entire population and people of Sweden. Many actually tried to help Finland by free will, one of my relatives died this way.

Looking at the history Norway, Denmark and Sweden all were part of the increadibly successful Viking era. Most historians now believe Russia was founded by Vikings from Scandinavia.

During 1600 century Sweden were huge and succesful but unfortunately we tried to fight and conquer the Russians (not a very good idea).
Don't care to read this, miles off topic, but why should anyone care if Sweden is insulted in an indefensible way when Swedes will do this to Canada, the US, whoever? And it isn't just a few trolls, it is a cultural consensus by the look of it.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
How many Canadian fans were calling out the Americans for diving in the semis in the GDT? How many? Stop being hypocrites. Shut up already. Canada has always been the assholes of the hockey world. Chicken Swedes? Does that ring a bell? When will Canadians apologize for anything? I still vividly remember the hit on Forsberg by that rat Rob Neidermayer. Find me something equally egregious done by a Swede to a Canadian in international hockey.

Reactions: Autodidact

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
How many Canadian fans were calling out the Americans for diving in the semis in the GDT? How many? Stop being hypocrites. Shut up already. Canada has always been the *******s of the hockey world. Chicken Swedes? Does that ring a bell? When will Canadians apologize for anything? I still vividly remember the hit on Forsberg by that rat Rob Neidermayer. Find me something equally egregious done by a Swede to a Canadian in international hockey.
Funny, I remember Hannulas hit on an 18year old Crosby at the WHC too.

I don'r recall blaming any losses on it though, but it's strange what a fan of a certain team remembers though eh?

You lost boys.............................grow up and move on for everyones sake.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm afraid you aren't going to have much luck with a polite conversation here. The unjustified premise that Canada cheated is a pretty bad start.

Demonstrate some evidence for this one claim, said with respect to diving

Andersson on Kyrou / Gadjovich on Brannstrom... Those were the penalties with embellishment. None of the others had any. Prove this wrong. Give one shred of evidence.

Edit:
I'll make it easy for you. Here are links to the 6 penalties that were called before the game was over.
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Gadjovich on Brannstrom
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Lindstrom on Katchouk
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Andersson on Kyrou
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Dahlin on McLeod
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Lindstrom on Comtois
2018 IIHF World Juniors Final - Canada vs. Sweden (TSN) Zetterlund on Formenton

Everything is right here... where's all this embellishment? You describe it yourself -- you went into the game _expecting_ it, so of course you are going to see it on every call. No wonder the players acted so immaturely. If anything is keeping Sweden from winning it is their own mentality.

Good stuff, look at Brannstrom here, total dive, quite embarrassing really.

That shoud stop all swedish fans ire , time to accept the loss and carry on.

Reactions: blindpass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad