GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 31 • Gold: SWE (1) - CAN (3) F

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Hahahaha! Already a classic!
LOL..........there isnt a single dive in there, you guys are mad.

Especially those hard interference checks at the blueline showed here, any one of us would be hitting the deck after getting smoked like that when not expecting it.

The only questionable one is the high sticking example and even that is spurious as it is a pretty normal reaction for humans to make when they suddenly get a sharp object such as the blade of a stick to their face, humans react to that stuff almost instinctively with their hands going up to their face because it is a sharp object that is around one of their most valuable asessts as a person...........their eyes. he may have sold it a little but I havent seen anyone on any team that doesnt do that a little bit in hockey today, it seems to have become a bit of a standard tactic unfortunately much like the commonly seen picking at the face to sort of "help" draw blood that you see players of every nationality and ilk do these days in the modern game so the opponent will get the extra minutes.

This is the best you have got to show Canada was diving?

It is so very clear some of you just cannot take all these losses in the medal rounds year after year when cleaning up in the medal rounds so you are grasping at anything where you can deflect blame for your losses, it is crystal clear.

I am going to enjoy seeing these failures continue to pile up. I have never been been impressed with swedens overall mental game in hockey over the years and I still am not, you guys have a lot of work to do there.

You are great technical players and skilled as all get go but You usually don't have a killer instinct and normally look for excuses when you fail. Swedish hockey really needs to work on this, it's your big weak spot.

This video was very weak to try to prove Canada was diving and that you got ripped off this past friday. if this is the best you've got you may as well pack up your bags and get busy working on next years excuses because in all likelihood you are going to need them again, and again, and again.

Last edited:
Reactions: blindpass

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Especially those hard interference checks at the blueline showed here, any one of us would be hitting the deck after getting smoked like that when not expecting it.

The only questionable one is the high sticking example and even that is spurious as it is a pretty normal reaction for humans to make when they suddenly get a sharp object such as the blade of a stick to their face, humans react to that stuff almost instinctively with their hands going up to their face because it is a sharp object that is around one of their most valuable asessts as a person...........their eyes. he may have sold it a little but I havent seen anyone on any team that doesnt do that a little bit in hockey today, it seems to have become a bit of a standard tactic unfortunately much like the commonly seen picking at the face to sort of "help" draw blood that you see players of every nationality and ilk do these days in the modern game so the opponent will get the extra minutes.

It is so very clear some of you just cannot take all these losses in the medal rounds year after year when cleaning up in the medal rounds so you are grasping at anything where you can deflect blame for your losses, it is crystal clear.

I am going to enjoy seeing these failures continue to pile up. I have never been been impressed with swedens overall mental game in hockey over the years and I still am not, you guys have a lot of work to do there.

You are great technical players and skilled as all get go but You usually don't have a killer instinct and normally look for excuses when you fail. Swedish hockey really needs to work on this, it's your big weak spot.

This video was very weak to try to prove Canada was diving and that you got ripped off this past friday. if this is the best you've got you may as well pack up your bags and get busy working on next years excuses because in all likelihood you are going to need them again, and again, and again.

Everyone who watched the Gold Medal game from outside the borders of Canada fell in love with the Swedish team. They fought so hard, and played so well. They were highly skilled and tough as well. And of course, there is the fact that they got screwed in the Gold Medal game by the referees who really took them out of the game with "discretionary penalties," like the great hip check in which the Swedish defenseman's foot was one/one-hundredth of a centimeter extended, and found the need to call a "discretionary" penalty at the most important time of the game. I really thought, based on the play, that Sweden was going to win, and I'm sure the rest of the world would agree. But putting a team on the penalty kill for the 3rd period completely changes the character of the game, and snuffs out any offense that Sweden would otherwise have mustered. They were exhausted at the moment that the contest was decided by dumb luck - a lucky bounce off a Canadian body that fell into the net.

There is the stench of corruption all around the IIHF WJC these days. Canada stuffs Rene Fasel's pockets with money, and in turn, they get the benefit of home ice advantage for almost every tournament. Canada hasn't won a Gold medal in the WJC in the last 10 years away from home, but guess where the tournament will be next year? Vancouver. Chalk up another Gold, and the obligatory wild, gleeful celebration in the arena. Boring!

Reactions: Slimmy

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG

It's at the very least embellishment and something that was frowned upon not that long ago in the great hockey nation of Canada. Times are a changing. That is apparent.
You have a point, though. Canada knows when and where they can do small infractions without getting a whistle. And they know when and how to put the ref in a tough spot so that they blow the whistle the other way. Some of it is part of the game, like it or not, and something that we need to get better at.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's at the very least embellishment and something that was frowned upon not that long ago in the great hockey nation of Canada. Times are a changing. That is apparent.
You have a point, though. Canada knows when and where they can do small infractions without getting a whistle. And they know when and how to put the ref in a tough spot so that they blow the whistle the other way. Some of it is part of the game, like it or not, and something that we need to get better at.

Everyone knows how to do that, including Sweden and they do it, they did it in that game on the powerplay they received, he was lightly held and we went down as if he was shot.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Everyone who watched the Gold Medal game from outside the borders of Canada fell in love with the Swedish team. They fought so hard, and played so well. They were highly skilled and tough as well. And of course, there is the fact that they got screwed in the Gold Medal game by the referees who really took them out of the game with "discretionary penalties," like the great hip check in which the Swedish defenseman's foot was one/one-hundredth of a centimeter extended, and found the need to call a "discretionary" penalty at the most important time of the game. I really thought, based on the play, that Sweden was going to win, and I'm sure the rest of the world would agree. But putting a team on the penalty kill for the 3rd period completely changes the character of the game, and snuffs out any offense that Sweden would otherwise have mustered. They were exhausted at the moment that the contest was decided by dumb luck - a lucky bounce off a Canadian body that fell into the net.

There is the stench of corruption all around the IIHF WJC these days. Canada stuffs Rene Fasel's pockets with money, and in turn, they get the benefit of home ice advantage for almost every tournament. Canada hasn't won a Gold medal in the WJC in the last 10 years away from home, but guess where the tournament will be next year? Vancouver. Chalk up another Gold, and the obligatory wild, gleeful celebration in the arena. Boring!

Coming from you, a poster well known for anti Canada anything.........................this post means nothing.

I just have to read your sentence about chalking up another gold for Canada next year in vancouver that it is just you being typical you. Canada has 2 golds in nine years to show for this supposed vile conspiracy, there goes that theory eh?

Your posts concerning us are always based on hatred for our hockey and are beyond pathetic, stevie wonder could see through the bullshit.

And coming from a russian does not help matters either, Russia...................the pariah of doping in athletics right now. I mean you guys are the poster boys for cheating right now.

I would actually need an unbiased observer for this post to have any weight and you certainly are the farthest thing from that.

I wouldn't listen to financial advice from Bernie Madoff at this point either, you have about the same amount of credibility to me when it comes to discussing anything Canadian hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbobell98

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Everyone knows how to do that, including Sweden and they do it, they did it in that game on the powerplay they received, he was lightly held and we went down as if he was shot.
Well, again, not as good as Canada. That should have been obvious to anyone watching.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Hahahaha! Already a classic!
We all knew this would come, the classic edit to music that -- itself the essence of embellishment -- uses slow motion and taking things out of context to incite the unintelligent.

I've watched the game twice, the second time specifically looking for dives and missed calls.

For dives, there are none outside of the one by Kyrou for Canada, Sweden has more, but not enough to make an issue of. There were some missed calls, but I can't imagine raising them among people hellbent on distorting the facts and utterly unconcerned with the truth.

The very first "dive" in this hack job video is a blindside interference on a player without the puck. The player was looking back at the puck while accelerating and turning up ice when the defender stepped up and collided with him. There wasn't a drop of embellishment there and that is an obvious penalty. You make yourself look like a fool reposting that approvingly.

Your country is on tilt with respect to Junior hockey. You could see it in their body language, every call. You could see it in their lack of composure. You could see it in the childish antics after defeat. You can see it in the public reaction.

I know several Canadians with no Swedish heritage who were hoping for Sweden to win because they feel sorry for how tragic their history at the WJC has been. They are a lot more empathetic than me I guess, but I can see where they are coming from better now seeing the crazed reaction from the players. It meant a lot to the Canadian players to win, but it was so much more crushing for Sweden to lose, yet again.

It must be tough to have all these great players and teams and fail repeatedly to come out on top. I can imagine having your little brother surpass your success at same time must be incredibly difficult to cope with. But looking elsewhere for the blame isn't going to fix it. In large part you've been unlucky, but now it's in your heads and that's just making it harder.

I can say with confidence that if things were reversed in the game this year and some Canadians were falsely claiming that Sweden played dishonestly, there would be many Canadians challenging and shaming the idiots. If members of the team did it the media here would eviscerate them.

So yeah, I think it is fair to generalize: Shame Sweden. You need a wake-up call.

Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well, again, not as good as Canada. That should have been obvious to anyone watching.

Well of course you would say this............................you, much like your team, cannot take a loss.

Heres to keeping your round robin streak alive, what is it at now? 44 and counting?

Thats where you guys excel.

blindpass

May 7, 2010

Sour grapes from the QF losers too? Quelle surprise!

Reactions: jj cale

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Give him credit for backing off (sorry Google translation -- can someone translate it properly?):
Do you regret your play?
"It was a bit sensitive then, I have to say that Canada did a good match. We did a great tournament and finished on top, but that little was missing."

Also, correcting something... I said Brannstrom refused to shake hands based on someone I generally trust telling me that. Seeing the video of it there was nothing in it, they didn't shake but it was more just an awkward moment of timing, not poor sportsmanship.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I have no problem with anything Canada did during the finals. I must be one of the few Swedes who are actually kind of pleased with the game; we didn't win, but for once we played our best game when it mattered the most. Losing would bother me more in a 5-0 blowout like in the late 00s.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I love the salt, and I love being undoubtedly the best like always. GO CANADA GO.
Lost in all the rhetoric here is the fact that Sweden was skillwise the most enjoyable team to watch on the tournament. The final was gutted out by Canada, it is crazy for anyone to say they were unambiguously the best team. A bounce one way or the other is the difference in a game like that.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Lost in all the rhetoric here is the fact that Sweden was skillwise the most enjoyable team to watch on the tournament. The final was gutted out by Canada, it is crazy for anyone to say they were unambiguously the best team. A bounce one way or the other is the difference in a game like that.

Yup all through the tournament we got to hear how great the Swedes, Finns, states were and guess what. Overrated.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Yup all through the tournament we got to hear how great the Swedes, Finns, states were and guess what. Overrated.
Ok, I guess you can judge everything by the medals alone. So in your books the US dominated Canada in the final last year too? Or perhaps not, you sound like the type for which hypocrisy comes easily.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
nah a shootout shouldn't decide a medal game but it is what it is.
Hypocrisy it is then! Not surprised.

I know you are just trolling, so the facts aren't relevant to you, but the final this year was tied with a minute and a half left. Sweden outshot Canada by a fair margin despite defending five penalties vs only one the other way. Show some class, it doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It was a great to have attended the Gold Medal Game, and seen the Canadian National Anthem being played on American Soil. Great to witness another Gold Medal for Canada, with thousands of other Canadians.

Swedish fans crying about Team Sweden getting 6 penalties- but they were all justified. Swedes saying Refs were rigged for Canada. If that is the case, then Canada should win every year (LOL). Canada only has won twice in the past 9 years.

If the IIHF wanted Canada to win, we would have had more Gold Medals by now. Stop being sore losers. Canada won. Deal with it. Congrats on the Silver, just like in 2014, when Canada beat Sweden in the Olympics.

MarVell

Jan 10, 2014

Hahaha speak for yourself!

blindpass

May 7, 2010
The first one is a classic and does not belong, but there are a few examples later in the film:

I have nothing to do with the film. I just found it.

Original link: Team Canada diving in World Junior Championship 2018

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to comment on this youtube video that you thought was so great on its channel but the comment doesn't appear (perhaps the owner hasn't approved it yet).
Rather than waste it I thought I'd leave it as my final thoughts on the subject along with this PSA: If you still side with the diving narrative after watching the original video and these ones, you are probably an asshole.

I'll start by saying Sweden played a great game, was the most skillful team in the tournament (which doesn't necessarily mean best!) and the most entertaining to watch. I'm afraid that's as far as I can go with "nice", because your video is pretty offensive.

The first clip is from last year. Ugly and embarrassing - but from _last_ year. Unfortunately you needed to include this because there were no dives by Canada in this game.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th clips are just good penalty calls, actual penalties. You've done your best to cut them to look bad and they still don't look like dives. On the 4th the Canadian did grab the interfering Swede's arm to make sure he got the call, not sure if he went down to embellish it too, his skate could have hit the boards or even been kicked out by the Swede -- hard to tell.

So actually no example of diving. Let's move on...

For the 5th I'll just leave this here and let everyone else decide on _your_ integrity and credibility -- the 3 seconds before your clip starts:

There's no way you did this unaware of the deceit. This is _really_ ugly and embarrassing, to put it kindly.

And these for comparison:
(the only dive(?) to generate a penalty in the game)
(probably should have been a call against Canada here, but still a flop)

... and more, but no need to beat a dead horse. I'm not trying to call Sweden divers, I'm just showing how very easy it is to do. I didn't even need music and deceptive edits to demonstrate that if _anyone_ was guilty of diving it was the _yellow_ team.

Sadly you are just following in the steps of the Swedish players and media who seem to have collectively lost their minds over this game. Taking it out on an honorable opponent isn't the right way to deal with it.

And as a final nice gesture I'll give you some sincere friendly advice: remove this video ASAP so that it isn't left here as a testament to poor Swedish sportsmanship.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad