24 Mikey Anderson - 20 Andrew Peeke
6 Quinn Hughes

30 Jake Oettinger
1 Jeremy Swayman
31 Joseph Woll

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Czechs have some great talent but just not enough of it. I think they will take advantage of a weak US defense but give up too many chances themselves.

5-4 US win

The wildcard is that there could be a let down from the US in the Bronze game from a team that expected to be playing for Gold. We have seen it a ton from the Canadians in this game resulting in a lot more 4ths than they deserve and with the body language of the American kids in the 3rd that could be a concern. Hopefully playing in front of the home fans helps to give them a boost in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i wonder if the USA will fare better against this half of former Czechoslovakia. hope the Czechs win but the USA is straight up a better team

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Hopefully playing in front of the home fans helps to give them a boost in this game.

They'd have to show up first :naughty:

Czechs clearly underdogs but if they stay disciplined they're not without a chance. I think penalties will be a key factor in this game

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
4-3 USA in a shootout.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Might sound a little arrogant but from the viewpoint of an American fan, team USA is disappointed to be here whereas the Czechs are probably (correct me if I'm wrong) just happy they made it this far. Knowing team USA across all levels and our players' treatment of the bronze medal game, I fully expect to lose the game, and probably by a lot.

Reactions: Kyndig and Frannel

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
whereas the Czechs are probably (correct me if I'm wrong) just happy they made it this far

Last time was 2005, so no, you're not wrong. And on the other matter I hope you're right, because it would suck to have come this far again and go home with the "potato medal" :)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
America tends to not care at all for a Bronze whereas it might mean something for the Czechs who haven't been playing for a medal in over 10 years. That's why I wouldn't at all be surprised of a stupid result like 5-1 for Czechs here.

Gereth

Feb 18, 2015
I don't know, scouts are definitely watching. If I would be a draft eligible American, I would definitely still try to do my best to impress and help my draft position. From team point of view, Czechs definitely want it more. They will be welcomed as heroes if they come back with a bronze medal and they will be remembered as a success story. If they come back with a potato, nobody will care. Even though it was 10 years since they were in semi the last time.

Last edited:

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
The US wins = because they were a better team

Czech wins =because they care about a bronze medal while the American team doesn't

Got it :D

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Which is exactly why the Czechs deserve the bronze and the Americans deserve to go home empty-handed.

Ok, but I don't think a bunch of teenagers that's reached a level where they're considered the elite of their age group is "meh" about a bronze medal. If they win the bronze, wouldn't that be one of the biggest accomplishments in their careers thus far. I just don't believe that type of "who cares" mentality comes naturally to any WJC team from any nation . I know one guy that performs at the highest level in his sport and there is sooooo much work and sacrifice behind it while the rest of us get to watch while we drink our beer and eat our chips. They're different from you and me.

My 2 cents anyway

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Ok, but I don't think a bunch of teenagers that's reached a level where they're considered the elite of their age group is "meh" about a bronze medal. If they win the bronze, wouldn't that be one of the biggest accomplishments in their careers thus far. I just don't believe that type of "who cares" mentality comes naturally to any WJC team from any nation . I know one guy that performs at the highest level in his sport and there is sooooo much work and sacrifice behind it while the rest of us get to watch while we drink our beer and eat our chips. They're different from you and me.

My 2 cents anyway

True. I'm just being kind of cynical as an American because I've seen the treatment of a bronze medal game by American athletes, fans, and media be given the treatment of "who cares" countless times. It's not a mindset unique to the sport of hockey, either. I suppose the attitude I have right now in even making this post is just perpetuating it too, and I should probably just shut up at this point.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Might sound a little arrogant but from the viewpoint of an American fan, team USA is disappointed to be here whereas the Czechs are probably (correct me if I'm wrong) just happy they made it this far. Knowing team USA across all levels and our players' treatment of the bronze medal game, I fully expect to lose the game, and probably by a lot.
No offense but the US didnt deserve to be in the gold medal game. They were very inconsistant in this tournament.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I expect a good close game here. Czechs got beat good against Canada but man, that game could've have been so much closer if a bit of luck went the other way and they didn't take dumb penalties.
If Czechs don't go in the box too much I think they'll give the Americans a good go.
And they have to.. American PP is very very good.

Reactions: 99664987

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
No offense but the US didnt deserve to be in the gold medal game. They were very inconsistant in this tournament.

Agreed, we laid an egg against Slovakia and didn't deserve to win our group. After the Denmark game, something just seemed off with this team. It's too bad. I think some of the defenseman we left at home would have done better than the ones there.

But it doesn't matter now. Gotta go win the medal. Bronze games are always rough to watch, but I think we have the better team and should go out on a winning note

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

None taken, I don't disagree. The format of the world juniors is the underlying cause. 10 teams participate, and the semifinalists don't always represent the best four. If you play this tournament with a full round robin and place everyone accordingly, I think USA is about 6th place. Instead, we're somehow still playing for a medal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad