9 David Matejovic - 27 Samuel Fereta

30 Roman Durny
1 David Hrenak
2 Jakub Kostelny

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
The Slovaks are a clear underdog, they will not be the team under pressure. The Swedes will be. This might be the Slovak advantage. Moreover, they perhaps have an extra motivation, as Slovakia celebrated 25 years of the statehood yesterday. Details like this can often boost the team with special energy, especially the youngsters, who sometimes take these circumstances very emotively. I expect the Slovaks to play with a terrific enthusiasm, and given the fact Durny has been pretty solid in the net thus far, they might surprise.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Sweden likely to win, but you never know. It always good to have good goalie, Durny might get under Swedens skin.

I wouldnt bet against Sweden though, they have looked solid enough to overcome some unexpected difficulties, in the end Durny will se a few pucks behind him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
The Slovaks are a clear underdog, they will not be the team under pressure. The Swedes will be. This might be the Slovak advantage. Moreover, they perhaps have an extra motivation, as Slovakia celebrated 25 years of the statehood yesterday. Details like this can often boost the team with special energy, especially the youngsters, who sometimes take these circumstances very emotively. I expect the Slovaks to play with a terrific enthusiasm, and given the fact Durny has been pretty solid in the net thus far, they might surprise.

Most Slovaks take the statehood celebration for granted. It's not like we were oppressed before, and it's not like the independence was won or voted upon. I'm absolutely certain that they players don't care.

Reactions: czechcanadian

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Most Slovaks take the statehood celebration for granted. It's not like we were oppressed before, and it's not like the independence was won or voted upon. I'm absolutely certain that they players don't care.

Know certain Slovak patriots who take this quite seriously. But perhaps players don't care about it, I don't know. Of course Slovakia wasn't oppressed, it was just split up of the federation. For Czechs it obviously doesn't mean anything, they celebrate 28th October (independence of Czechoslovakia), but I met some Slovaks who were rather proud of it. Well, they were a little bit weird in their nationalism, to say.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Know certain Slovak patriots who take this quite seriously. But perhaps players don't care about it, I don't know. Of course Slovakia wasn't oppressed, it was just split up of the federation. For Czechs it obviously doesn't mean anything, they celebrate 28th October (independence of Czechoslovakia), but I met some Slovaks who were rather proud of it. Well, they were a little bit weird in their nationalism, to say.

Central/Eastern European nationalism is a very weird beast. I think it mostly comes from the fact that under Communist rule it was more or less not allowed exactly so the attitudes in this regard are behind the Western views on nationalism.

But I agree with tobu that the players here really don't care about the anniversary. They were born 5-6 years after it happened. I mean I was born a year or so before it happened and have absolutely no memory of Czechoslovakia. Slovak republic is just something that has always been there for me, so I see no reason to make a big deal just because it has been there for 25 years. Like sure I don't mind watching the bits of what Slovak sportsmen have achieved during those 25 years on the sports news, but other than that it's not a thing that I spare too much thought to.

I think the Slovak players who would have cared about it are already mostly retired as those were the players that were born in the early/mid 1970s.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Central/Eastern European nationalism is a very weird beast. I think it mostly comes from the fact that under Communist rule it was more or less not allowed exactly so the attitudes in this regard are behind the Western views on nationalism.

But I agree with tobu that the players here really don't care about the anniversary. They were born 5-6 years after it happened. I mean I was born a year or so before it happened and have absolutely no memory of Czechoslovakia. Slovak republic is just something that has always been there for me, so I see no reason to make a big deal just because it has been there for 25 years. Like sure I don't mind watching the bits of what Slovak sportsmen have achieved during those 25 years on the sports news, but other than that it's not a thing that I spare too much thought to.

I think the Slovak players who would have cared about it are already mostly retired as those were the players that were born in the early/mid 1970s.

I don't remember Czechoslovakia neither, was born a few years before the split up and have no clear memories from such early childhood. Agree Central and Eastern European nationalism is weird. Know people from both Czech Rep. and Slovakia, whose animosity especially towards Germans (CZE) and Hungarians (SVK) goes beyond my capacities of understanding. But it's good to read this isn't so common in Slovakia, perhaps I just met too many weirdos (beside my friends from Slovakia, who are nice people).

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Anyone else find it weird that Sweden haven't lost a group game in years.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Monten needs to move pettersson to C and add boqvist on the first line

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Big blow to Sweden. Andersson has been key for them the whole tourney. With the potential for him to be out the rest of it is huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad