GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 03 • Group A: CAN (4) - FIN (2) F

Which team wins this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
I say you can talk all you want about the refs and this and that, but the better team clearly won (easily imo), and that's all that actually matters. The rest is just noise!

Reactions: 99664987

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I say you can talk all you want about the refs and this and that, but the better team clearly won (easily imo), and that's all that actually matters. The rest is just noise!

One shot difference and Finland had more possession. I didn't see either one ahead in that one. At least not "clearly". But Canada won. Naturally I am not pleased with the questionable refereeing. Today, they really made a big difference in the outcome but it is still the name of the game. Usually I'd just complain about the missed tripping call on Canada's last goal where the Finnish D got slewfooted from behind in offensive zone and that created the goal. But today we had an absolutely clear no goal that was allowed, and another disallowed one that shows to be in, just not from the overhead because the netting and crossbar obstruct the view.

It's even more annoying to know those decisions were made in Toronto.

If people can't understand why someone would feel a bit sour about how things went today, those people are hypocrites who would be frustrated if it happened to their team.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I liked all of our forwards, for the most part, however, I thought each and everyone one of our D men at struggled at some point today. Clague had a bit of a rough game overall, Foote tied himself in ribbons a few times, his quickness and footspeed might be a bit of an issue going forward. Bean was soft on the puck more than once especially on the shot that Foote stopped. Mete had that one great rush wow. Fabbro get well soon we will need you.

PLenty of time for them to take a deep breath, calm down and make the plays.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Congratulations to Canada for the win.

I thought that this was a very weak game overall. There was a severe lack of emotion and both teams played poorly, which is a shame because I was expecting a lot more. This Canada should have been easily beatable.

Too early to get worried but I hope that the D and the F are able to coordinate better in the next game.

Reactions: thrillhous

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Congratulations to Canada for the win.

I thought that this was a very weak game overall. There was a severe lack of emotion and both teams played poorly, which is a shame because I was expecting a lot more. This Canada should have been easily beatable.

Too early to get worried but I hope that the D and the F are able to coordinate better in the next game.

Agreed I usually really like the world juniors but that game was not pretty to watch.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
One shot difference and Finland had more possession. I didn't see either one ahead in that one. At least not "clearly". But Canada won. Naturally I am not pleased with the questionable refereeing. Today, they really made a big difference in the outcome but it is still the name of the game. Usually I'd just complain about the missed tripping call on Canada's last goal where the Finnish D got slewfooted from behind in offensive zone and that created the goal. But today we had an absolutely clear no goal that was allowed, and another disallowed one that shows to be in, just not from the overhead because the netting and crossbar obstruct the view.

It's even more annoying to know those decisions were made in Toronto.

If people can't understand why someone would feel a bit sour about how things went today, those people are hypocrites who would be frustrated if it happened to their team.
The overhead camera is ever so slightly offset so that you can see the back part of the goal line. If any part of the puck is "hidden" under the crossbar when viewed from the overhead angle, it definitively indicates that the puck has not completely crossed the line. I have no ties to either team, and I think this was clearly not a goal.

I'll post an image below that gives a slightly more pronounced goal line offset view so you can visualize what I'm describing.

CzXIXsCUQAAF8_0.jpg

This is the furthest that the puck travels before the glove intercepts it. Nothing but the bar is over it at this point. No visible white between the puck and the line and part of the puck under the bar indicates no goal.

Last edited:

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It is sad this thread became so acrimonious. I was looking forward to analysis from Finnish and Canadian posters with the knowledge and insight I have come to expect from HF. (Actually, I still got that :)). Kudos to all! From a personal perspective, as a Canadian and a Blues fan, it has been a good day. We happy! :) Sincere thanks and respect to Finnish posters. It was a good game and the tourney is not over yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: jonlin

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I don't think either team played that well, but Finland has maybe more room to improve. The Finns come from wider variety of leagues and playing styles plus the small rink. Maybe wishfull thinking? Bad reffing.

Congrats to Canada.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I am kind of amazed that you have been a member for over ten years and you waited until this moment, to complain about a call in the first period of a preliminary round game, to make your first post.
Some Finns are not much for talking. 3 posts in 12 years sounds about right. ;) We joined about the same time, he has 3 posts, I have over 12.000, lol.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Finns definitelly didnt deserve to win this. Our boys where a bit cocky, didnt play as a team and made easy mistakes. Didnt like the first goal but we need to forget that and push forward. If we can get teamplay working i think we can get gold here.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It is sad this thread became so acrimonious. I was looking forward to analysis from Finnish and Canadian posters with the knowledge and insight I have come to expect from HF. (Actually, I still got that :)). Kudos to all! From a personal perspective, as a Canadian and a Blues fan, it has been a good day. We happy! :) Sincere thanks and respect to Finnish posters. It was a good game and the tourney is not over yet!

I can't tell if you're kidding or not...

Reactions: 7even

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The tournament is rigged. Don't care if Finland wins.
Salmonsnake where have we all heard that "rigged"statement before. Canada hasn't done any better than any other team in this tourney in years and it's being played in the US. Please explain your theory on how the tourney is rigged? Really sounds like you over reacted. I saw in Finnish player dive three times and they finally called a penalty on Canada and he wasn't the only one. The dive in the last couple of minutes was another. Canada is a faster team that capitalized on there chances. Finland had some great chances to win the game but they just never went into the net. Just because you or someone else considers your team the favourite to win the "rigged" tourney as you say doesn't mean it will happen. It's only one game. There is a lot more hockey to be played.

kirppu

Jan 5, 2006
Some Finns are not much for talking. 3 posts in 12 years sounds about right. ;) We joined about the same time, he has 3 posts, I have over 12.000, lol.
and some Swedes talking too much ;) lol

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Finns definitelly didnt deserve to win this. Our boys where a bit cocky, didnt play as a team and made easy mistakes. Didnt like the first goal but we need to forget that and push forward. If we can get teamplay working i think we can get gold here.
How can you tell they were cocky? That is the only thing they cant afford to be right now

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I was at the game yesterday. The first goal shouldn't have counted, but then it didn't change the outcome. I didn't think Canada played very well, and gave Finland way too many opportunities... Canada made many lazy passes in their own zone, across the center of the ice, that were easily intercepted, and resulted in (poor quality) shots against. Finland's PP was mostly atrocious, or Canada's PK is excellent, hard to say which is true. At the rink, if felt like Canada had this game, when they needed to, and had some dominant moments. Finland had some momentum at times, but just didn't do anything with it... Neither team was all that good, with some very sloppy play, but it felt like Canada was still the better team on this day. Clearly both teams have work to do, to be Gold medal contenders.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I just hope Canada looks at their mistakes in this game and improves as the tournament goes on. I thought both teams had their issues. There probably will be lots more controversial reviews as the tourney goes on that will stimulate conversations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad