GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 03 • Group A: CAN (4) - FIN (2) F

Which team wins this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
29 seconds to 30 seconds in when his fingers touch the puck it's clearly over. You can see white between puck and goal line. Like I said it was in.

Thanks for the evidence.

You can't see white in front of the very bottom of the puck. As others have pointed out, the refs can't just hand out a goal when the situation isn't 100% clear.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
29 seconds to 30 seconds in when his fingers touch the puck it's clearly over. You can see white between puck and goal line. Like I said it was in.

Thanks for the evidence.

The entire puck has to be over the line. In this case the puck was angled back towards center ice. The bottom of the puck was 100% over the line, however the top of the puck was not.

To understand you need to not think of it as a line on the ice but a plane that covers the entire opening of the net.

Gohoundsgo

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the evidence.
You are seeing white because the puck is in the air, not on the ice. Watch the overhead as much as you like. The goal line is visible and the puck did not cross it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The first goal was a bitter pill, but the 4th one shouldn't have gone in. At the end of the day, the Finns need to tighten up their d-zone coverage and get UPL more support, and he needs to come up with some stops.

Reactions: thrillhous

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
You can't use that angle as you proof, it has to the top view since it wasn't obstructed by anything. It wasn't over completely.

No it doesn't have to be from overhead. A WHC final was decided on front angle. I think it was Sweden vs. Canada in OT.

Yup...found it.

[Yt]

Last edited:

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I like Canada's overall game. But the Swedes look really good. Their D core is top notch

Thanks for the evidence.

It looks the puck is bouncing creating the white space we all see. However, the puck was also sliding and bouncing at an angle so the puck did not cross completely. Really close play.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Just finished watching the game on PVR, am I the only one wondering wtf Clague and Bean are doing on the ice over Makar?

What a disaster those two are, especially Clague tonight. My god.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I like Canada's overall game. But the Swedes look really good. Their D core is top notch

It looks the puck is bouncing creating the white space we all see. However, the puck was also sliding and bouncing at an angle so the puck did not cross completely. Really close play.

We should have better technology to detect this. Cars drive themselves with precision and we can't figure out how to make the goal and puck so it automatically stops play when 100% of the puck is past the line. Totally doable and would eliminate this crap.

Reactions: Petrus

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Thanks for the evidence.

nope. don't see it. correct call was made. no goal.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Who was best and worst on both teams? Couldn't catch the game, busy doing Christmas stuff

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Who was best and worst on both teams? Couldn't catch the game, busy doing Christmas stuff
Best forwards were Katchouk and Thomas. D was Mete. (For Canada)

I was mainly watching for Tampa prospects, so I didn't catch a ton of the Finnish side to form an opinion until there was a mistake. I will say I wasn't impressed by Joulevi or Tolvanen.

BloodOnIce

Dec 10, 2006
Canada
Just finished watching the game on PVR, am I the only one wondering wtf Clague and Bean are doing on the ice over Makar?

What a disaster those two are, especially Clague tonight. My god.

Wheat King fan here and I agree totally: Clague was struggling big time. That pizza he served right up the middle... good lord.
He’s a better player than that and I hope for his sake and the team’s he picks it up.

Reactions: Hagstrom

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting game from a Canadian perspective. It was pretty close and either way probably should have been a one goal game. I didn't like how a lot of Canada's defencemen played, too slow to move the puck forward and some bone headed passes. Very lucky that Mete was released. I like the Howden and Thomas lines for Canada. We'll see what happens going forward. Finland is certainly still a dangerous team in this tournament.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Canada played well as a team and a cohesive unit. Finland's forwards were not on the same page as their defense and would leave them to deal with things defensively on their own as opposed to providing any sort of help. It made Finland look disjointed and forced their players to constantly be scrambling around the ice, while Canada played a controlled game with support from their defense and forwards.

I get that the first goal being allowed was nonsense and likely played a part in taking some wind out of their sails, but that should've been pushed out of their minds immediately. Finland needs to wake up and play as a team or this will just be the start of their losing streak.

Reactions: SourTemplePilot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad