2018 whl bantam draft

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
I'll vouch for DeSouza, Bankier and Grenier. Grenier seems to be inconsistent would be my only gripe with him but lots of the kids are inconsistent so not really surprising. I'm not to familiar with the other players. I really like Sward from Yale. Now I haven't seen him since spring and summer but he really impressed me. His Dad is a great guy to. We're not close friends or anything but we have chatted at a rink or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: NMayne

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Hell of a line up tomorrow at the "Chilliwack Bantam AAA Challenge Cup" OHA Penticton VS Calgary Bisons, Delta Green VS St.Georges and Yale VS NAX. At the end of 3 games Savoie and Sillinger are tied at #1 for points.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
I did see Yale vs NAX/ St George vs DHA - I only watch the Def players.
Who stands out. These guys are the gritty, scrap, and also the developers of the the plays. If you can play at this level and get no PIM your doing something right. Only saw these 2 games.

NAX-Lajoie (14 PIM)
YALE-Sward, (6 PIM)
St George- Gabrielson ( 6 PIM)
YALE-Galloway ( O PIM)
DHA-Shugrue ( 4 PIM)
NAX-Kaziel ( O PIM )
DHA-Smith (6 PIM)

Reactions: Hotwheels

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Some great hockey today for sure Capitals 03. I like your penalty minute comparason! Looks like it's OHA Penticton VS NAX. I call NAX to win.
Maddox I called it first so you"ll have to go with OHA Penticton to win because there are no other choices left!!

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
It was a great weekend of hockey! Chilliwack sure put on a fantastic tournament.
Once through the round robin games, teams were playing on a more level field. There was a clear line between the caliber of play from some of the teams compared to others. From the AMBHL, we saw Bisons and Airdrie doing well against the CSSHL teams. Some of the less strong CSSHL teams were playing quarters and semi's against AAA teams.
NAX beat OHA Penticton for the final, 6-2. With NAX hammering 3 goals in 5 minutes of play to start the game. Did OHA start their less strong goalie? He was pulled after the 3 quick goals and I was told that the second goalie was their go to guy. The game went two periods with a 6-0 lead for NAX. I would say that OHA came out strong in the third and were able to pump two goals in on NAX.. In an interview after the game, Loc'r Gordon expressed he felt one of the two was a good goal and the second he wished he could have back.
St.Georges played well as a varsity team against the prep teams. Only due to the fact that as a new program that they have to play varsity, they are going to be able to hold their own against prep teams.
Yale seemd to have tought weeknd as they tied the Bisons and fell to NAX 4-1. Vanderkooi was pulled after 4 goals, lasting only into the first few minutes of the second. NAX put the pressure on Yale and seemed to shut down Stankoven for the game.
OHA edmonton lost a round robin game to BWC but were able to fight back to a semi spot against NAX.... a bit of a rivalry game as both teams are from Edmonton and many of these players are friends and have played together for years. It turned out to be a close game with scoring going back and forth and Nax winning 6-4. Tschergil very nice to watch, very wise and very strong.
OHA Penticton beat St. Georges to meet NAX in the final.

Player stats were somewhat reflective of the round robin games as Sillinger had the most points in the tournament but had virtually no points in the semi against St Georges and 0 points in the final. Savoie would be the most accurate with many points throughout all games in the tournament. Followed by Guenther, Hyland. Trevor Wong was high on the list as well

On D... Lajoie , Cuelemons, hancock, Romanchuk, and a number of others from the top teams were very strong d men. OHA Penticton had an affiliate D man that was huge and quite impressive to watch.. Aiden Dufty.
No records were kept of shots on goal so actual goalie stats could not be determined. Loc'r Gordon had the most minutes played with playing five of six games. Vanderkooi named top goalie of the tournament after the round robin, which seems like an odd time to name this award as he was pulled in the quarter final game. One goalie that seems to not be talked about much (probably because of size) is Ashton Billesberger... he played very well this weekend.

As said, after the round robin games, the compete level increased and the games were very exciting. I would say that missing Rink in this tournament may have been a huge factor as to how these CSSHL teams will fare this year, along with Notre Dame. But by the looks of it, NAX will have a few teams battling for the top spot all season.

Last edited:

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
WEHP Release Western Canada Team Rankings – Week 3
Oct 10, 2017 | Bantam Prospects, Featured, Headlines

NAX.png

Rank Team League Record GF GA Streak
1 NAX Academy CSSHL 3-0-0 25 7 W3
2 Rink Hockey Academy CSSHL 2-0-0 18 3 W2
3 OHA Edmonton CSSHL 2-0-0 27 3 W2
4 Yale Hockey Academy CSSHL 3-0-0 16 3 W3
5 OHA Penticton CSSHL 4-0-0 24 10 W4
6 St. Georges Varsity CSSHL 4-0-0 47 5 W4
7 Calgary Bisons AMBHL 4-0-2 21 10 W1
8 Delta Hockey Academy Green CSSHL 2-1-1 16 11 L1
9 Airdrie Xtreme AMBHL 3-1-2 16 13 L1
10 St. Albert Sabres AMBHL 4-0-1 39 10 W4
Honorable Mentions:

BWC Academy (CSSHL), Leduc Oil Kings (AMBHL), Delta Academy White (CSSHL), Prince Albert Pirates (SBAAHL)

Submit a Comment

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
It was a great weekend of hockey! Chilliwack sure put on a fantastic tournament.
Once through the round robin games, teams were playing on a more level field. There was a clear line between the caliber of play from some of the teams compared to others. From the AMBHL, we saw Bisons and Airdrie doing well against the CSSHL teams. Some of the less strong CSSHL teams were playing quarters and semi's against AAA teams.
NAX beat OHA Penticton for the final, 6-2. With NAX hammering 3 goals in 5 minutes of play to start the game. Did OHA start their less strong goalie? He was pulled after the 3 quick goals and I was told that the second goalie was their go to guy. The game went two periods with a 6-0 lead for NAX. I would say that OHA came out strong in the third and were able to pump two goals in on NAX.. In an interview after the game, Loc'r Gordon expressed he felt one of the two was a good goal and the second he wished he could have back.
St.Georges played well as a varsity team against the prep teams. Only due to the fact that as a new program that they have to play varsity, they are going to be able to hold their own against prep teams.
Yale seemd to have tought weeknd as they tied the Bisons and fell to NAX 4-1. Vanderkooi was pulled after 4 goals, lasting only into the first few minutes of the second. NAX put the pressure on Yale and seemed to shut down Stankoven for the game.
OHA edmonton lost a round robin game to BWC but were able to fight back to a semi spot against NAX.... a bit of a rivalry game as both teams are from Edmonton and many of these players are friends and have played together for years. It turned out to be a close game with scoring going back and forth and Nax winning 6-4. Tschergil very nice to watch, very wise and very strong.
OHA Penticton beat St. Georges to meet NAX in the final.

Player stats were somewhat reflective of the round robin games as Sillinger had the most points in the tournament but had virtually no points in the semi against St Georges and 0 points in the final. Savoie would be the most accurate with many points throughout all games in the tournament. Followed by Guenther, Hyland. Trevor Wong was high on the list as well

On D... Lajoie , Cuelemons, hancock, Romanchuk, and a number of others from the top teams were very strong d men. OHA Edmoonton had an affiliate D man that was huge and quite impressive to watch.. Aiden Dufty.
No records were kept of shots on goal so actual goalie stats could not be determined. Loc'r Gordon had the most minutes played with playing five of six games. Vanderkooi named top goalie of the tournament after the round robin, which seems like an odd time to name this award as he was pulled in the quarter final game. One goalie that seems to not be talked about much (probably because of size) is Ashton Billesberger... he played very well this weekend.

As said, after the round robin games, the compete level increased and the games were very exciting. I would say that missing Rink in this tournament may have been a huge factor as to how these CSSHL teams will fare this year, along with Notre Dame. But by the looks of it, NAX will have a few teams battling for the top spot all season.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
The comment of MVP Goalie for Vanderkooi from WEHP and the makes you wonder. How they decided this Head scratcher. Did they WEHP have 3 scouts at this tournament whihc is what you would need since they were at different locations at the same time. Since no shots were counted and I am not sure if PP goals were also kept. The bad part of WEHP is you dont know the entire story. You will have kids who score 15 goals in 3 games, then when they play strong teams are no where to be found. Who plays on PP and are some players double shifted.

Mathematics come into play, if you have a set group for the PP, there is more of a chance to score. WEHP is very basic, and they are just kids. Look at the amount of ice time to the amount of goals.
If a player is on for the PP and 17 mins and has 1 G and 2 A. Then you have a player who is on the PK and on for 12 mins with the same 1 G and 1 A. Who is the better player? You can see where I am going. WEHP does not factor in any of this. If they did , teams would not send their own scouts.
WEHP is very point driven. Which really anyone can do themselves.

Another example A top ten player could score 14 goals in 4 games, However while he is on the ice 15 goals were given up. They is never mentioned.

I like what WEHP does and I dont. You will notice they never mention the strong players +/-

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
The comment of MVP Goalie for Vanderkooi from WEHP and the makes you wonder. How they decided this Head scratcher. Did they WEHP have 3 scouts at this tournament whihc is what you would need since they were at different locations at the same time. Since no shots were counted and I am not sure if PP goals were also kept. The bad part of WEHP is you dont know the entire story. You will have kids who score 15 goals in 3 games, then when they play strong teams are no where to be found. Who plays on PP and are some players double shifted.

Mathematics come into play, if you have a set group for the PP, there is more of a chance to score. WEHP is very basic, and they are just kids. Look at the amount of ice time to the amount of goals.
If a player is on for the PP and 17 mins and has 1 G and 2 A. Then you have a player who is on the PK and on for 12 mins with the same 1 G and 1 A. Who is the better player? You can see where I am going. WEHP does not factor in any of this. If they did , teams would not send their own scouts.
WEHP is very point driven. Which really anyone can do themselves.

Another example A top ten player could score 14 goals in 4 games, However while he is on the ice 15 goals were given up. They is never mentioned.

I like what WEHP does and I dont. You will notice they never mention the strong players +/-

And this my friend, is genius! You are completely correct in all above points IMHO. Always take Wehp with a grain of salt.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Well I made it out there to Chilliwack a few times this weekend. It was nice to meet Maddox face to face and see some people's kids I know play.
Wow seem's to me you two Pro's both summed up everything very professionally and honestly.
I was expecting OHA Penticton to come out strong and push NAX to really play. Gotta feel a bit bad for that poor goalie for OHA in such an important game and 3 goals within a few minutes. NAX is really fun to watch when all fired up from what I had seen on a couple of occasion's this weekend. Makes it really intense when the chirping starts and the players start playing like they might die if they don't win. Savoie and Gordon sure were fun to watch. Gordon moves very well for such a big goalie and Savoie well you guy's know the story.
Really love NAX's colours and the Big X on the front of their jersey's. I love that blue it was just eye popping for me when I first saw those blue jersey's.
Sure were a lot of scout's there for the first couple days. It's really to bad some of these teams don't play each other more because there would definitely be some great rivalries but not much you can do about logistics.
Yale, PCHA, OHA, Shawnigan all play each other this weekend OHA and Yale could be a great game to watch if both teams show up to play like they can of course.
October 20th the Varsity teams have a tournament in Calgary. Should be interesting to see if anyone can challenge St. George's but that is highly doubtful!! I thought St.George's performance was fantastic this weekend considering they have been playing all varsity teams for a month and never being challenged or pushed.

Last edited:

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
POE is in town for four days to play NAX two games and OHA Edm two games. Last night NAX won 4-0....should've been 20 -0! Ashton Billesberger, the goalie for POE was hammered with 62 shots. He has always been an overlooked tendy, I think mainly due to his smaller size. But he kept his team from a score that would've been much worse for POE . Loc'r Gordon with a shut out on only 16 shots. They play again tonight, not sure if it will be a Gordon/Billesberger goalie battle again or if they will play the other two tendy's. POE were in Chilliwack, home for a day and then travelling to Edmonton, they have to be exhausted. Add to that two games against NAX and another two against OHA Edm, that's a hell off a tough schedule!

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
POE is in town for four days to play NAX two games and OHA Edm two games. Last night NAX won 4-0....should've been 20 -0! Ashton Billesberger, the goalie for POE was hammered with 62 shots. He has always been an overlooked tendy, I think mainly due to his smaller size. But he kept his team from a score that would've been much worse for POE . Loc'r Gordon with a shut out on only 16 shots. They play again tonight, not sure if it will be a Gordon/Billesberger goalie battle again or if they will play the other two tendy's. POE were in Chilliwack, home for a day and then travelling to Edmonton, they have to be exhausted. Add to that two games against NAX and another two against OHA Edm, that's a hell off a tough schedule!
Wow that's quite the schedule for POE absolutely Brutal!! NAX still going strong eh and Gordon with a shut out. Billesberger sounds like he's a great goalie. 62 shot's unbelievable!!
ND lost to PCHA 4-2, Rink beat Shawnigan 6-0 and Yale beat OHA Penticton 8-4

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Second game for POE and NAX.... 10-4 for NAX.
Gordon and Billesberger on benches for first two periods. Albers playing for NAX and Hamming playing for POE.
Third period saw Hamming out and Billesberger in, which was automatically followed by Albers out and Gordon in.
NAX tallied 80 shots and POE only 18.
Third period saw NAX hammer Billesberger with 24 shots (3 goals) with POE getting only 3 shots (o goals) on Gordon.
Dylan Guenther with 4 goals and two helpers
Matt Savoie with 2 goals and 5 helpers
Brett hyland with 1 goal and 4 helpers
Nax's top line is quite impressive!

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
nax-treme5.jpg
Change Team BWC Academy Bantam Prep Delta Hockey Academy Bantam Prep Green Delta Hockey Academy Bantam Prep White Edge School for Athletes Bantam Prep Northern Alberta Xtreme Bantam Prep Notre Dame Hounds Bantam Prep OHA Edmonton Bantam Prep Okanagan Hockey Academy Bantam Prep Pacific Coast Hockey Academy Bantam Prep Pursuit of Excellence Bantam Prep Rink Hockey Academy Bantam Prep Shawnigan Lake School Bantam Prep Yale Hockey Academy Bantam Prep Delta Hockey Academy Bantam Varsity Edge School for Athletes Bantam Varsity International Hockey Academy Bantam Varsity Okanagan Hockey Academy Bantam Varsity Pursuit of Excellence Bantam Varsity St. George's School Bantam Varsity #1 St. George's School Bantam Varsity #2 West Van Academy Bantam Varsity BWC Academy 15s Delta Hockey Academy 15s Edge School for Athletes 15s Northern Alberta Xtreme 15s OHA Edmonton 15s Okanagan Hockey Academy 15s Pacific Coast Hockey Academy E15s Pursuit of Excellence 15s Rink Hockey Academy 15s West Van Academy 15s Yale Hockey Academy 15s Banff Hockey Academy Female Prep Delta Hockey Academy Female Prep Edge School for Athletes Female Prep Northern Alberta X-Treme Female Prep Okanagan Hockey Academy Female Prep Pursuit of Excellence Female Prep Shawnigan Lake School Female Prep St. Mary’s Academy Female Prep Coeur d’Alene Hockey Academy Female Varsity Delta Hockey Academy Female Varsity Okanagan Hockey Academy Female Varsity Pilot Mound Hockey Academy Female Varsity Banff Hockey Academy Midget Prep BWC Academy Midget Prep Coeur d’Alene Hockey Academy Midget Prep Delta Hockey Academy Midget Prep Edge School for Athletes Midget Prep International Hockey Academy Midget Prep Northern Alberta Xtreme Midget Prep OHA Edmonton Midget Prep Okanagan Hockey Academy Midget Prep Red Okanagan Hockey Academy Midget Prep White Pacific Coast Hockey Academy Midget Prep Pursuit of Excellence Midget Prep Rink Hockey Academy Midget Prep Shawnigan Lake School Midget Prep West Van Academy Midget Prep Yale Hockey Academy Midget Prep Banff Hockey Academy Midget Varsity Coeur d’Alene Hockey Academy Midget Varsity Delta Hockey Academy Midget Varsity Edge School for Athletes Midget Varsity International Hockey Academy Midget Varsity Okanagan Hockey Academy Midget Varsity Pilot Mound Hockey Academy Midget Varsity Pursuit of Excellence Midget Varsity Shawnigan Lake School Midget Varsity
Northern Alberta Xtreme Bantam Prep
5w-0l-0otl 10pts
Next Game: Home to Edge School for Athletes Bantam Prep
Friday, 20-Oct-2017 at 4:45pm MT - River Cree Twin Rinks
Last Game: Home to Pursuit of Excellence Bantam Prep (10-4 win)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
StatisticsScheduleRosterHead-To-HeadGraphsPersonnel
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Currently Viewing: Active Roster Reserve Roster
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PLAYER STATISTICS
EXHIBITION • REGULAR SEASON • PLAYOFFSOVERALL TOTALS
CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THESE STATISTICS
• Player Names and Column Headings are clickable •
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
#PLAYER NAMEBYPGPGAPTSP/GPPSHGWPIM
11Dylan Guenther'03F589173.41004
7Matthew Savoie'04F579163.20006
19Brett Hyland'03F5510153.03020
10Zac Ostapchuk'03F573102.00000
17Lucas Ciona'03F52681.61002
27Nicholas Degraves'03F52461.20004
23Ben Hemmerling'04F52461.20000
4Marc Lajoie'03D51561.20006
16Jacob Romanchuk'03D51451.01014
14Jack Parker'03F52240.80110
6Blake Heward'03D51230.60014
18Brayden Taschuk'03F51230.60000
2Cale Ashcroft'04D50330.60004
3Liam Dumelie'03D50220.40004
8Cole Cook'03F20110.50000
5Nolan Kazeil'04D50110.20000
TEAM TOTALS 3967106-61-38
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
player_status_injured.gif
= Injured
player_status_suspended.gif
= Suspended
player_status_rookie.gif
= Rookie
player_status_reserve.gif
= Reserve
player_status_import.gif
= Import
player_status_affiliate.gif
= Affiliate
player_status_committed.gif
= Committed
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
GOALIE STATISTICS
• CLICK ON A HEADER TO SORT BY THAT STATISTIC •
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
#GOALIEBYGPWLTGAPIMSOMPGAGoals Against Average
(based on a 60 minute game)" class="stattdtop pointer" style="cursor: pointer;">GAA
GSAASHSASV%
1Lochlan Gordon'034300000220020.605.867371.973
35Owen Albers'032200000010095.40-3.405243.827
dot_clear.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Information on this page may be up to 20 minutes behind

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
The pools are out for the Rocky Mountain Invitational;

Castle Pool Kidd PoolLorette PoolRundle Pool
NAXBisonsAirdrie XtremeDelta
FlamesMonarchsCalgary SabresRDR Rebels
LA Jr KingsOHA EdmontonOHA PentictonRink
ND HoundsPOEYaleRoyals
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
I know it's weeks away, but I am really excited to see this tournament! It will be the first time seeing some of the top teams in action against each other. We have seen Yale and NAx, Oha Penticton and Oha Edmonton all play each other, but I haven't seen Rink play yet. I think that it will be exciting to see match ups of Rink and NAX, The OHA teams and Rink.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Draftgeek (part of Dubnetwork) released a very informative newsletter today. Bantam draft rankings and scouting reports. I always like their write ups more than others. They really seem to get their info correct. Paid $11.99 for it, but well worth it.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
03 WHL Draft Class Overview 3 Though we’re only a month or so into the 2017-18 hockey season, there’s a lot to be excited about when looking at the 2018 WHL Draft class. Compared to the ‘02 class, the ‘03’s appear to be deeper, both in terms of elite level talent at the top and mid level prospects. The upper class features a handful of potential franchise players including the likes of Rink Academy defenceman Carson Lambos, CSSHL varsity star Trevor Wong, and OHA Edmonton’s Sean Tschigerl, as well as a few others whose development over the course of the year could put them in contention for the top spot. The Yale Lions are once again a team to keep an eye on with left handed defenceman Graham Sward, scoring forward Logan Stankoven, and captain Jake Chiasson showing early on that they can play and produce at a high level. OHA Penticton captain Cole Sillinger, NAX Academy forward Dylan Guenther and goaltender Lochlan Gordon have had good starts, showing high level skill packages with dominant stretches early on. The first round is loaded with high caliber forwards, but also boasts a handful of defence man who could make a big impact on their future junior club. Defenceman Corson Cuelemans, Karter Prosofsky, and Keegan Slaney have developed well and have shown a high level of play as well as the willingness to battle shift to shift. The ’03 crop is very good, and features a good mix of skaters and goalies who are already performing at a similar level to that of the 02’s at the end of last season, meaning the battle over the next seven months will be a heated one.

NMayne

Oct 5, 2017
Can anyone here write about RHA after they them? Thanks.
I've watched a few RHA games this year. Strong team with a lot of standouts. Svenson is a solid power forward who protects the puck really well and can skate. Him and puck moving defenseman Hudson Thornton really impress me as they are a full 11 months younger than some teammates (such as likely #1 Lambos) - closer to being '04s. Owen Weihs has been a solid offensive threat for RHA so far too - good compete and puck pursuit, makes the most of offensive chances. Another top 50 guy for me is Keenan Allan - more of a two-way center, works hard all over the ice and does a lot of little things well. One of the more surprising guys on the roster has been Tayem Gislason - a D man with size who has been good at both ends of the ice, will be interesting to watch his development over the course of the year. Brennan also one of the top goalies in Western Canada - will be interesting to see him up against some of the stronger offensive teams later in the year. Definitely a team that will be in the mix for the CSSHL championship - they have a number of really solid prospects who might be overshadowed a bit by Lambos this year and turn into draft steals.

Reactions: Deif

NMayne

Oct 5, 2017
A couple of guys I've been watching in the NAPHL showcase in Minnesota this weekend - Rylan Yates (POE Bantam Prep) had 2 goals with the U16 team this morning - player of the game in a 4-0 win. Another POE '03, defenseman Jackson DeSouza, was playing up with the U18 POE squad and logged a lot of minutes in a close game. Two guys that would be getting a lot more attention if not for POE Bantam Prep being a weaker team this year... Keeping up with the older guys and making an impact.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
A couple of guys I've been watching in the NAPHL showcase in Minnesota this weekend - Rylan Yates (POE Bantam Prep) had 2 goals with the U16 team this morning - player of the game in a 4-0 win. Another POE '03, defenseman Jackson DeSouza, was playing up with the U18 POE squad and logged a lot of minutes in a close game. Two guys that would be getting a lot more attention if not for POE Bantam Prep being a weaker team this year... Keeping up with the older guys and making an impact.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
I've watched a few RHA games this year. Strong team with a lot of standouts. Svenson is a solid power forward who protects the puck really well and can skate. Him and puck moving defenseman Hudson Thornton really impress me as they are a full 11 months younger than some teammates (such as likely #1 Lambos) - closer to being '04s. Owen Weihs has been a solid offensive threat for RHA so far too - good compete and puck pursuit, makes the most of offensive chances. Another top 50 guy for me is Keenan Allan - more of a two-way center, works hard all over the ice and does a lot of little things well. One of the more surprising guys on the roster has been Tayem Gislason - a D man with size who has been good at both ends of the ice, will be interesting to watch his development over the course of the year. Brennan also one of the top goalies in Western Canada - will be interesting to see him up against some of the stronger offensive teams later in the year. Definitely a team that will be in the mix for the CSSHL championship - they have a number of really solid prospects who might be overshadowed a bit by Lambos this year and turn into draft steals.

Thoughts on Eric Alarie?

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
you are so correct on this, The first other ranking sites at this point just look at points( first)

Look at there ranking system: ( example)

Just from this you will be able to tell how good a player is on these 7 points. This is house or Rec hockey evaluations. And they NEVER look at +/-

Skating 5
Puck Skills 4
Scoring/Skill 4
Work Ethic 5
Physical Play 4
Character/Intangible 4
Game Rating 4.333333333
Draft Projection TBD

Those players you mentioned will be seen by the WHL/ CJHL Scouts and depending USHL. Not so much NAHL. Then when certain players get drafted high who were not on their list they consider it a shock. The WHL Scouts watch a team for 9 or 10 times to see players.

How is the def player in his zone ?
How does he play in the Neutral zone ?
How is he is the off zone ?

Below are a few questions just in the def zone for a def player.

1 - Poor, 2 – Fair, 3 – Good, 4 – Very Good, 5 – Excellent
Defensive Zone Assessment –Defense Only
Explanation of Tactic: Can / Do you:Ranking
1Angle opponents into corner in one on one situations?123X5
2Keep stick on ice at all times to deflect passes (unless tying up man)?12X45
3Position yourself so as to see puck and man in front of net (when 3rd forward in slot)?123X5
4Control opponent's stick?123X5
5Play Strong in front of net?1X345
6On breakout, move puck up quickly to forwards?1234X
7Get open and make yourself available as an outlet option?12X45
8Finish all checks down low (Corners, below goal-line)?12X45
9Win corner and back wall battles?123X5
10Take whistle when in trouble?12X45
11Keep on defensive side of check (between puck and net)?123X5
12Keep puck on defensive side of body when under pressure and clearing/breaking out?12X45
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The 2 ranking websites try, but they fall short on many levels. Yes we could all pick the top 5-10.
But they have players from 10-20 which are not even on the top 60, when you do a full report and when you do your home work.
I dont think they pay alot for the services that the scouts provide so you get what you get. A s a example: Its very hard to judge St Georges players when they play against teams in their division.
Only at tournaments is where you can see them play apples to apples.

This player here received a 274 out of 395. No one gets all 5's and if it was all 3 's it would be 197.
If fact not many 5's are given at this age, and you have to watch a game where the team is expected to lose. Watching teams win 11-0 is a waste of time for all parties.

So do not worry kids on teams that are not as strong as others will be seen and noticed if they play in widely publicized to tournaments.

Sorry this is long, but as stated before WEHP and Draft Geek are just opinions. BTW if you see a scout talk with them they dont bite, But not during a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->