2018 whl bantam draft

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
My money is on Yale. Delta Green lost to Pacific Coast last week after Delta had beat Pacific Coast. Delta Green has some great players, but I don't see them overcoming Yale. Matty Smith would be one to watch though, he has had a slower start so far, but will most likely turn it on soon.
Game went to OT eh. I knew it would be a tough fought game although knowing the rival between both teams, living in the area and having watched most of the kids from both teams for a couple years as well as knowing some of the coaching styles I do have an unfair advantage.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Game went to OT eh. I knew it would be a tough fought game although knowing the rival between both teams, living in the area and having watched most of the kids from both teams for a couple years as well as knowing some of the coaching styles I do have an unfair advantage.

Yes, closer than I would have thought, but I didn't think it would be a slaughter. But my key arguement player, Matty Smith, still hasn't made the point board yet either... very strange! Even stranger is he didn't have any penalties either!

Reactions: Hotwheels

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia

Yes, closer than I would have thought, but I didn't think it would be a slaughter. But my key arguement player, Matty Smith, still hasn't made the point board yet either... very strange! Even stranger is he didn't have any penalties either!
I don't know Smith but I do know guys that are amazing from other areas don't have things quite so easy when it comes to Yale and Delta. Also scoring and assists aren't everything maybe he is playing solid D and not allowed to rush?? I feel the same way about Sward as you do about Smith although Sward does have 2 assists for his 2 games . Would be nice to see each individual players ice time as that may explain something or not? Could also just take him time to adjust to his new enviroment?
Verbicky is highly ranked and has 0 points as well and he's a forward. It's early yet and alot of kids at this age and stage of the game are still very unpredictable in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
This might not be the case for Smith but I know a couple kids that can skate through whole teams but get benched for rushing the puck. Systems are of more importance to some coaches and it does work very well for them as well as teach the kids how to play hockey.

Last edited:

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
I don't know Smith but I do know guys that are amazing from other areas don't have things quite so easy when it comes to Yale and Delta. Also scoring and assists aren't everything maybe he is playing solid D and not allowed to rush?? I feel the same way about Sward as you do about Smith although Sward does have 2 assists for his 2 games . Would be nice to see each individual players ice time as that may explain something or not? Could also just take him time to adjust to his new enviroment?
Verbicky is highly ranked and has 0 points as well and he's a forward. It's early yet and alot of kids at this age and stage of the game are still very unpredictable in my opinion.[/QUOTE

I will disagree D players at this level must contribute in goal scoring or on assists. and at this age +/- are taking into consideration.
WEHP site only evaluate 7 items to rank the players. ( I have seen some evaluation sheets that have up to 80 ranking points for Def only) Their ranking system is very broad, and very misleading.

You will have players peak at every level. Some Atom, Some PW, Some Jr,etc. All of these kids have changed their surroundings, Some from the island, the interior, even a kid from Los Angeles) They all have a new coach and are all on the same playing field. If you want to look at this player( Smith for Example) They have switched lines, put him out on the PP more then any other player to help him preform. At this time after four games nothing has worked. When on the PP line you are expected to score or assist. When you are given this bonus time to excel, and more of a % to score. This player has more Pen mins then anyone else on the team and zero points. They have moved players around and nothing. So you then need to look at what made him excel last season ? Did he have a D partner that made him better and give him numbers. The most looked upon players make others better, This quite possibly could be the case. ( IMO) I saw the game yesterday with a scout from the Van Giants. He is not comfortable and is struggling. While makes it even harder on a player at his age. He is getting the ice time and getting the PP( not he PK) He was frustrated yesterday with his D partner on the ice( that was very obvious)

He make be home sick, or have school issues, could be a number of things. But when you have other Def players on this team who are getting almost a point per game and less PIM and less ice time its all going to factor in.
I do want everyone to succeed, but that just is not reality. I do hope he turns it around.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
I will disagree D players at this level must contribute in goal scoring or on assists. and at this age +/- are taking into consideration.
WEHP site only evaluate 7 items to rank the players. ( I have seen some evaluation sheets that have up to 80 ranking points for Def only) Their ranking system is very broad, and very misleading.

You will have players peak at every level. Some Atom, Some PW, Some Jr,etc. All of these kids have changed their surroundings, Some from the island, the interior, even a kid from Los Angeles) They all have a new coach and are all on the same playing field. If you want to look at this player( Smith for Example) They have switched lines, put him out on the PP more then any other player to help him preform. At this time after four games nothing has worked. When on the PP line you are expected to score or assist. When you are given this bonus time to excel, and more of a % to score. This player has more Pen mins then anyone else on the team and zero points. They have moved players around and nothing. So you then need to look at what made him excel last season ? Did he have a D partner that made him better and give him numbers. The most looked upon players make others better, This quite possibly could be the case. ( IMO) I saw the game yesterday with a scout from the Van Giants. He is not comfortable and is struggling. While makes it even harder on a player at his age. He is getting the ice time and getting the PP( not he PK) He was frustrated yesterday with his D partner on the ice( that was very obvious)

He make be home sick, or have school issues, could be a number of things. But when you have other Def players on this team who are getting almost a point per game and less PIM and less ice time its all going to factor in.
I do want everyone to succeed, but that just is not reality. I do hope he turns it around.

Totally agree... all great points. i do wonder how much the "home sick" part is effecting him.

Reactions: Hotwheels

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Edge got beat up quite a bit this weekend. A loss to NAX, 11-0. Two losses to OHA EDM, 16-2 and 11-1. OHA EDM playes Edge again first game in Chilliwack, that's four games against OHA EDM right off the hop, all four are OHA'sfirst four games. not really a benefit to either team in my opinion. OHA is going into Chilliwack after playing the same weaker team three times. They are a strong team though, so it may not be that much of an issue.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
I had no idea they were trying everything to help him out and find a way for him to be successful. That is a lot of insightful info you shared thanks for that. I was trying to cut the guy some slack seeing as how I don't know him and don't want to upset anyone if one of his parents happened to be on here. But yes you would definitely expect a top D to accumulate a few points along the way.
Loved your point about kids peaking out at different ages makes a lot of sense unless of course they really want it and are willing to do the work it takes to stay at the top although there can be a lot of variables as well I suppose such as growing really fast, not growing at all etc. that can have a big effect on a player.
I was also impressed with your information in general regards to who is using what to rank kids.
The Draft projected list's will continue to change as the season progresses and as always there will be some surprises and some disappointments. We're only 4 games in and WEHP has made changes to their draft list which for me will make it a very interesting year see who ends up where as the season continues. Parents and players need to also remember that getting drafted this year is a nice pat on the back but it guarantees nothing and not getting drafted this year is far from the end of your hockey career.

Last edited:

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
I guess this weekend will enable people to get a good look at some teams they haven't seen before. I'm sure OHA Penticton, NAX, Yale and Delta green will all be interested in perhaps getting a peek at the teams from the CSSHL they haven't seen yet. Will be very interesting to see how St. Georges does as well I just hope they know what they are in for after playing Varsity for a month. Going to be an exciting weekend to watch for sure!!!

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Interesting analysis of the ranking systems for sure. I am not sure how others feel, but I tend to take the WEHP rankings with a grain of salt. Some of the rankings are slightly off if you look at where some of the players are listed compared to others. I guess being in Alberta, I see many of the Albertan kids play and I can vouch for the fact that there are kids placed higher on the lists than others that should actually be evaluated much higher. I know that wehp can't be accurate on all fronts, there are levels of margins for error. But without naming certain kids, there is definitely flaws in the rankings. That being said, wehp does a great job of ranking as well as predictions, interviews and general information for kids entering the bantam draft from both Canada and the US.
I do find that Sully's rankings are more accurate and his "who to watch" list announced last week was pretty much on par. Will he also have off rankings? It is to be expected that any of these scouts will have deficiencies.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
POOL PLAY - DENIS ANDERSEN

TEAM W L T GP
BWC 0 0 0 0
OHA Edmonton 0 0 0 0
South Zone 0 0 0 0
Edge 0 0 0 0
POOL PLAY - DAVE ARCHIBALD

TEAM W L T GP
Airdrie 0 0 0 0
Delta Green 0 0 0 0
Prince George 0 0 0 0
Rocky Mountain 0 0 0 0
POOL PLAY - DOUG AST

TEAM W L T GP
Shawnigan 0 0 0 0
St. Georges 0 0 0 0
NW Calgary 0 0 0 0
Nanaimo 0 0 0 0

TEAM W L T GP
Delta White 0 0 0 0
Calgary Bisons 0 0 0 0
Yale 0 0 0 0
NSWC 0 0 0 0
POOL PLAY - BOB AMES

TEAM W L T GP
Chilliwack 0 0 0 0
PCHA 0 0 0 0
San Diego 0 0 0 0
OHA Penticton 0 0 0 0
POOL PLAY - NATHAN MARTZ
TEAM W L T GP
Juan De Fuca 0 0 0 0
Okotoks 0 0 0 0
NAX 0 0 0 0
POE 0 0 0 0

Here are the pools for the Chilliwack Challenge. Anyone have input on the pool with Chill, PCHA, San Diego and OHA Pen? I have ideas of how the other pools are going to play out, but not sure about this one pool. Is OHA Penticton the forecasted top dog?

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
OHA and Chilliwack will be a fun match up to watch. I would predict very physical games between the 2 teams and I can vouch for some highly skilled players on OHA . As for Chilliwack I always hear they are very physical but other than that I don't know much about their top team this year so far. I also know nothing about San Diego. My expectations would be for OHA to clean up in their pool although I wouldn't think Chilliwack will go down without a fight and they could be a very formidable foe. I don't think the other 2 teams have a chance.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
OHA and Chilliwack will be a fun match up to watch. I would predict very physical games between the 2 teams and I can vouch for some highly skilled players on OHA . As for Chilliwack I always hear they are very physical but other than that I don't know much about their top team this year so far. I also know nothing about San Diego. My expectations would be for OHA to clean up in their pool although I wouldn't think Chilliwack will go down without a fight and they could be a very formidable foe. I don't think the other 2 teams have a chance

Good to know! That is exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks Hotwheels. Will be fun to watch, you going to be at the tournament?

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Good to know! That is exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks Hotwheels. Will be fun to watch, you going to be at the tournament?
I plan to try and make it out that way yes. Spare bedroom here if you would like to save some $$ on a hotel you are more than welcome stay with us.

Last edited:

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
NAX should have it easy although I know nothing about Okotoks
Yale and NSWC could be a good match up
OHA Penticton and Chilliwack I predict will battle for their pool
St.Georges I think will win their pool although I know nothing about the Calgary team
Delta Green will have Airdrie to deal with as I have heard Airdrie have been known to have a strong team.
OHA Edmonton and BWC should be a good match up as well

Last edited:

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Smart. I use Airbnb it has worked really well the couple of times I have used it. Think I'll have a peek at vrbo never checked it out before. I hope to be in Calgary in a couple weeks but not to sure yet.

Hotels in Chilliwack want close to $1000 for the weekend. This vrbo is $450 for the weekend. Can't beat that!

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Hotels in Chilliwack want close to $1000 for the weekend. This vrbo is $450 for the weekend. Can't beat that!
$450 for a weekend holy smokes or actually you must be bringing the whole family with you which would make that a good price for 4 or 5 nights. I might be wrong but airbnb seemed cheaper than vrbo when I looked? Have a safe drive and maybe we'll get to say hi this weekend. I work Thur. Fri. and we're doing thanksgiving on Sat. so might not make it out there till Sunday.

NMayne

Oct 5, 2017
A few guys I will be looking at closely in Chilliwack this weekend - always curious to hear others' impressions!:

POE
Jackson DeSouza - incorrectly listed as a USA prospect in most rankings because of his dual citizenship so tough to say where scouts see him in comparison to the other Canadian kids. He is already 6'0" and could be 6'4"+ by the time he is done growing. Has been a solid defender on an otherwise underwhelming team.

NAX
Zack Ostapchuk - Has what it takes to be a top 5 pick if he can find a way to stand out on a team full of solid draft prospects.

BWC
Caedan Bankier - Early season stats haven't been an accurate representation of his skill, good candidate to break out this weekend.

Adam Grenier - Has the makings of an elite playmaker and has led what is a decently strong BWC group in points early in the year despite being down in the 4th/5th round on most early projections.

PCHA
William Irvine - Another big defender - will be interesting to see how he deals with OHA Penticton's offense and also if he can shine against the likely weaker Chilliwack and San Diego teams.

Calgary
Marek Pocherewny - Interested to see how Marek stacks up against the goalies who are higher on scout's radars, he has great fundamentals and while he isn't big yet at 5'11 there isn't really a size concern either. Has been awesome in his early starts this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad