WC: 2018 WHC: Denmark - The Heroes are Coming (General, Tickets, Accommodation, Cities..)

Lumipanda

Oct 5, 2010
Finland
E2C2bsc.jpg

Official Website

4th to 20th of May, 2018

While the 2017 World Championship games have not even started yet and Denmark being 375 days away, there is a fact that seems to be little known fact that the first tickets are coming out very early, May 6th to be precise. Being someone who binges over all things Denmark, I thought I'd let everyone know and share little knowledge I've garnered with few trips to Denmark to those who may have been planning on making the trip.

My knowledge isn't perfect, but should you have anything to add I'll gladly add it up here. :)

Denmark
Basics
Denmark can be (and usually is) an expensive country. We're talking the levels of Sweden and Finland. I can't make comparison to Norway as I've not been there.

Get in and around
Flying to Copenhagen should be fairly cheap from nearly anywhere, as it's a major hub for most of directions around the world. Kastrup (Copenhagen airport) is right next to the city, metro takes 10 to 15 minutes to central Copenhagen. For flights, simply try your choice of flight search engine. I personally use Momondo to find my flights and usually book directly from the flight operator after finding the best price. Kiwi also seems a viable option.

Should you want to go to Herning as well, You can take train from Copenhagen - it'll set you back about 3 hours and costs around 400 Danish Kroner (DKK) or ~55 euros if you book it on the day of departure. Do note, that in most (if not all?) long distance Danish trains, they sell seat ticket separately - this means that if you do not have a seat ticket booked, you may have to give your seat up to someone who has booked that seat. It costs about 4 euros to make a seat reservation. For train schedules etc. head over to Rejseplanen.

Alternatively, you can check would it be more optimal for you to fly to Billund Airport and take a train that takes ~45 minutes to Herning. As a minor detail, Legoland is right up to Billund airport, should you be looking for some non-hockey activities to do!

In Copenhagen, public transportation is solid and generally runs actively. Do, however, avoid pickpocketers! Based on expat chatter I hear, they seem to have become more common lately. But mind your surroundings and pay attention in public transportation and you should be fine. Herning is a small town, so generally everything is within walking distance. The arena is about 3.5km away from Herning Station, so you can stroll through the city or then snatch a cab, which shouldn't cost you too much. I'm not sure about the public transportation over there, but I have no doubt they will have buses running then to and from arena if there isn't anything yet.

Accommodation
Expect to pay a lot for accommodation, especially if you want medium/high end hotel room in Copenhagen. You'll be in luck to find a decent hotel room setting you back less than 100 euros a night. There is a lot of Airbnb's, though, and you can find some good deals over there sometimes. I'm not sure what the situation for Herning is having only been there once and staying over at friends place, but Copenhagen has something for everyone.

Airbnb non-referral / referral (get 35€ off your first booking, I get 20€ travel credit after it's completed)

For hotels and the likes, I'd recommend either one of these two;
hotels.com or booking.com (referral, get 10€ off, I get 10€ off) , both have felt solid to me. You can also give a trivago a go, but I can't give real endorsement to them as I've never directly booked through them.

Misc
Fortunately, Denmark is a lot more relaxed when it comes to things like alcohol and nightlife in general compared to rest of the Nordics. Nothing like wandering into a corner shop at 2 am to buy a beer while you're on your way to another bar. There's also a lot of offers; you could get 10 shots for 100 Danish Kroner (DKK) for about 13.5 euros, as well as cheap beers at times, but generally a (small) glass bottle of Tuborg seems to be around 4.5 euros. Pints are around 6-7 euros I seem to recall. A BigMac would set you back around 4.5 euros. Not the menu - the burger. You can go here for Numbeo's breakdown of what costs what in Denmark.

Danes generally seem more comfortable socializing with strangers than a Swede or a Finn would generally be. I seem to make a lot of random contacts on my journeys through Denmark. While Danes themselves seem to think they're reserved, it doesn't feel like it compares to Swedes or Finns in my books.

Just like rest of the Nordics, walking to get around places is rather common unless you're going further parts of the town. Copenhagen has very good light traffic and is definitely biking capital of the Nordics. Always check that you don't accidentally run under a bike. A lot of places offer bike rental, but I've not gone for that personally as I've been told that it makes locals bit frustrated to have travelers mixing up into the otherwise smooth traffic. But then, I've never had the real need for it either.

Tickets
First ones will be available on May 6th. No packages, invidual game prices or such have been made official just yet, however an article from 2014 which announced Denmark winning the bid, stated that "The price range of tickets will be DKK 144 to 1,152 (€19-155). " Check out IIHF's website for the most recent info.

Arenas

Royal Arena (Copenhagen)
Capacity: 12,500

Group
TBA, I do expect Denmark to play at Copenhagen however.

MsQnRyk.jpg

Bxv8RHP.jpg

Royal Arena is brand spanking new, only having had it's first event back in February of 2017, with Metallica playing. As an interesting design choice, it does look like one end of the arena does not have seating at all - at least one that would be usable for such game like icehockey. If someone who knows more can shed the light on this, that would be great. I've been trying to google pictures and the likes but everything I find, that one end is a wall. Maybe it'll be something like this?

Jyske Bank Boxen (Herning)
Capacity: 11,000

Group
TBA

B37RnWV.jpg

80hyGOa.jpg

Boxen sees, considering how "middle of nowhere" it is, major amount of superstars, all from Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, P!nk, Katy Perry, Adele and Madonna to Rammstein, Prince, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden and One Direction. It opened back in 2010. I have not found a picture with an icerink over there, but above you can see how it looks with handball games, giving you some idea how the venue is.

-------------------

That's it, for now, I'll edit things up as more info comes along etc. and feel more than free to shoot up some questions. :) Hopefully we'll see terrific games in Denmark - which might just be likely, considering NHL refused the Olympic Games.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Norway is probably three times more expensive than Denmark. It really was a shock to me when I took the ferry from Denmark to Norway just how insane it became.

Denmark seemed entirely reasonable on prices. Comparable to any Western European country like England Holland or Germany.

I was able to rent a car for 19€ a day and found several nice guest houses out in the countryside for less than 50€ a night. Copenhagen is of course more expensive like any capital city.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
you have people like me who buy the team package and then books the hotel at the same time

so doing a 8 hour commute a day would be a bit much

Joking on the commute part. Herning might get a bit boring after a few days. Unless all you want to do is see hockey all the time. Aarhus is pleasant though and Skagen is pretty cool

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I'm not sure how good of an idea is it to have the other group play in Herning. Sure, it is in the middle of Jylland with good connections to several of Denmark's largest cities and towns but it's still essentially countryside. I think co-hosting the tournament between Copenhagen and Oslo/Malmö or even Hamburg would have been a better decision.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I'm not sure how good of an idea is it to have the other group play in Herning. Sure, it is in the middle of Jylland with good connections to several of Denmark's largest cities and towns but it's still essentially countryside. I think co-hosting the tournament between Copenhagen and Oslo/Malmö or even Hamburg would have been a better decision.

Wow, Herning is really small city, population only about 50 000. When was the last time that WHC was in such a small city? I see only Kloten, 2009 (about 20 000), but Kloten is at least very close to Zurich, essentially almost part of its agglomeration.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Wow, Herning is really small city, population only about 50 000. When was the last time that WHC was in such a small city? I see only Kloten, 2009 (about 20 000), but Kloten is at least very close to Zurich, essentially almost part of its agglomeration.

Herning and Kloten aren't really comparable as those 50 000 inhabitants of Herning live in a vast area of 1324 square km while those 20 000 inhabitants of Kloten live in an area of just 19 square km. Thus, the best would be to compare Herning with the entire canton of Zurich which is 1729 square kilometers in area and 1.5 million in population.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Herning and Kloten aren't really comparable as those 50 000 inhabitants of Herning live in a vast area of 1324 square km while those 20 000 inhabitants of Kloten live in an area of just 19 square km. Thus, the best would be to compare Herning with the entire canton of Zurich which is 1729 square kilometers in area and 1.5 million in population.

but Kloten is at least very close to Zurich, essentially almost part of its agglomeration.

... I realized it when I looked on the map. I immediately thought that Kloten will be close to some big Swiss city so I looked it up.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
... I realized it when I looked on the map. I immediately thought that Kloten will be close to some big Swiss city so I looked it up.

I know. Just saying that Herning is truly in a class on its own (not in a good way) among the host cities of the World Championship in the history.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I find ways to entertain myself no matter how dull a place is

There is always drinking.....

Jokes aside, the area in Midtjylland is filled with historical sites and other attractions. You'll have no problem spending a week there, as it is close to all other cities.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I know. Just saying that Herning is truly in a class on its own (not in a good way) among the host cities of the World Championship in the history.

Really interesting. I thought that it is a lot bigger city. I wonder why Herning was chosen and not city like Aarhus, for example. Is it because of arena?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Really interesting. I thought that it is a lot bigger city. I wonder why Herning was chosen and not city like Aarhus, for example. Is it because of arena?

Yes, the only two indoor arenas that would fit an icerink and 10.000+ spectators are these.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Also because herning per capita produces an outrageously large amount of NHL players

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Herning makes perfect sense...they have been holding tons of huge events for years and on or under budget (cough unlike the budget disasters in fancy copenhagen...european song contest cough)

We just dont have huge indoor arenas and boxen was an obvious choice.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Yeah, but it is a town in growth :naughty:

Year Inhabitants
1840: 204 [Road happened, increasing it from a pre-1840 of 21 apparently]
1870: 264
1890: 2166 [Railroad happened in 1877]
1916: 7.389
1925: 9.647
1935: 12.568
1945: 16.285
1955: 22.014
1965: 29.522
1976: 31.263
2006: 44.437
2010: 45.890
2014: 47.765
2017: 49.229
2018: [Icehockey WC -> perhaps another boost :laugh:]
See: https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herning

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Yeah, but it is a town in growth :naughty:

Year Inhabitants
1840: 204 [Road happened, increasing it from a pre-1840 of 21 apparently]
1870: 264
1890: 2166 [Railroad happened in 1877]
1916: 7.389
1925: 9.647
1935: 12.568
1945: 16.285
1955: 22.014
1965: 29.522
1976: 31.263
2006: 44.437
2010: 45.890
2014: 47.765
2017: 49.229
2018: [Icehockey WC -> perhaps another boost :laugh:]
See: https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herning

Why the stopped counting between 1976 and 2006?:laugh::laugh:

Lumipanda

Oct 5, 2010
Finland
Herning, while boring, is somewhat of a cute town. Some streets might feel like they're not actually real. At least for someone coming from Finland. There might not be much culturally to do, but they do have some pubs, so that's always one way to entertain yourself, haha.

I'd also guess Herning doesn't have that many accommodation options, so unless you're prepared to for example to stay in Aarhus (No issue with that as long as you're fine with the commute), I'd definitely recommend looking to it as early as possible.

I really hope this tournament will boost the interest of icehockey for the Danes. It would be so good for their hockey's future I reckon.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Herning, while boring, is somewhat of a cute town. Some streets might feel like they're not actually real. At least for someone coming from Finland. There might not be much culturally to do, but they do have some pubs, so that's always one way to entertain yourself, haha.

I'd also guess Herning doesn't have that many accommodation options, so unless you're prepared to for example to stay in Aarhus (No issue with that as long as you're fine with the commute), I'd definitely recommend looking to it as early as possible.

I really hope this tournament will boost the interest of icehockey for the Danes. It would be so good for their hockey's future I reckon.

The real problem is lack of rinks - with only 25 rinks (many double rinks in the same town), they actually have to turn kids away some places for lack of available ice time.
The goal is getting 5000 players in Denmark by filling all current areas to the maximum and this year had a record 4.647 registered players.

But actually when it comes to spectators pr. match icehockey is second after football and before handball!

If more provincial towns got cheap rinks then you would have the basis for more players, but when it comes to the money-issue, then its hard to compete with a combined multi-sport hall where you can play handball, badminton, volleyball, basketball, floorball, indoor field hockey etc
So it is very much a cost-benefit analysis. Only when money was abundant in the 60's and early 70's did you see a lot of rinks being build. So a few provincial town became hockey towns, but most settled on handball instead.
Silkeborg rink in 2007 was the first new town getting a rink in 20 years - gave Danish hockey 300 new registered players!
Silkeborg was an old hockey town with 2 bronze medals back in the 50's (the skating club is from 1896), but didn't get a rink, so they survived as a club playing on lakes when the winter made it possible (that shows some dedication). Off course after the other towns got rinks, Silkeborg couldn't keep up*in competition as some years you couldn't practice at all. They did became Jutland champions 7 times, probably in 1964 the last. Back then they apparently had up to 2000 spectators for matches.

So hopefully a successful 2018 WC can convince some areas (especially if the are bombarded with mothers calling to ask where their sons can play) to invest*in rinks.
Vojens (SønderjydskE) have the last 10 years been dominant in Danish hockey (with Herning, that compared to Vojens is a metropolis :laugh:) and it has only 7.627 inhabitants, so there is a lot of provincial town potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad