World Cup: 2018 WC Qualifiers Part II

void

Jan 5, 2006
I'm really worried for Italy. They played like total crap during the qualifiers and just don't have faith in Ventura to make the proper adjustments for the playoffs. I think it's going to be a huge struggle for them to beat any of the 4 unseeded teams. I guess if I had to pick which one I'd want them to face it would probably have to be Greece.. but even then I'd still be worried. :help:

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015
i feel very bad about Netherlands did"nt make it to world cup!!. Runners up in WC 2010 and third in WC 2014:(.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
What fantastic performances by William Carvalho, Joao Mario, and Bernardo Silva yesterday. If Ronaldo didn't have one of his off days it would have been 3/4-0 (WTF was he doing on that breakaway )

Still, Santos and his tactics of shackling us and playing reserved is frustrating because at times we played a level of dynamic fluid footy that I hadnt seen in a while. Yet he holds us back and focuses so much on defense.

Not playing Nelson Semedo and insisting on Cedric is the personification of that, it really punished us offensively...shit cross at the edge of the box after shit cross:(

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
i feel very bad about Netherlands did"nt make it to world cup!!. Runners up in WC 2010 and third in WC 2014:(.
They're going through a cycle of poor overall talent...who are the best players now with Robben retiring? Depay?

They'll bounce back in the future.

I'm more shocked at the USA choking hard in Trinidad....even though Bruce Arena made errors in selection and tactics there is no excuse for that.

I mean even Canada beat Honduras, yet Honduras is now in the playoff vs Australia...WTF

Chile lost an opportunity to have one last fun tournament with their solid generation. South American qualification is the most difficult in the world though and with them dropping points in fixtures they had no business losing or drawing, as well as the scandal regarding Bolivia, they have themselves to blame.

Peru vs New Zealand, both teams are salivating at that opportunity.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Funny thing is Chile if they didn't Bitch about Bolivia would be in right now. So f***ing hilarious, combine that with them attempting to get Messi suspended they got what they deserve.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No need to feel bad. Their team really isn't very good.
It's all based on Fifa Rankings which are flawed. If you avoid playing friendlies and do well in meaningful games you can boost your rankings (i.e. Poland & Switzerland).

Although Poland has dramatically improved since the last World Cup. They have beaten and tied Germany in meaningful competition since then and took Portugal to Penalties at Euro 2016 and have beaten up on lesser teams.

Well, technically Ireland also beat and drew Germany in meaningful competition since 2014. I mean that was Germany's massive World Cup hangover where they looked like crap in almost every qualifier, except the one at home vs Poland that got them the group win.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I'm really worried for Italy. They played like total crap during the qualifiers and just don't have faith in Ventura to make the proper adjustments for the playoffs. I think it's going to be a huge struggle for them to beat any of the 4 unseeded teams. I guess if I had to pick which one I'd want them to face it would probably have to be Greece.. but even then I'd still be worried. :help:

I think of Italy as a team who always finds a way to get to the World Cup, and would consider it a definite failure by Ventura if they don't qualify.

As a Swedish soccer fan, I'm nervous about facing Italy. Denmark would be my favored opponents, although I certainly don't think they would be easy to play against.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

If I were Italy I'd fire Ventura right now and bring in Ancelotti for the playoffs + the world cup.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I guess Denmark was the best draw for Ireland.

Still a quality team, but don't think they're as good as Italy/Switzerland/Croatia.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I think the draw blows obviously, we already had one of if not the toughest group, and get the toughest available matchup now. But we definitely have our chances. 1-0 at home and take it from there.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Anyone who saw Denmark vs Sweden in 2004 would know that game was not a fix. Furthermore, it is never Italys own fault when they are eliminated. It is always the opponent, the referee or other surroundings as spectators or the wildlife around stadium. The entertainment value however is always such fun.... :popcorn:

You are right, in the clear and fair Scandinavian nations these things do not happen!

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I watched the game at the time and thought it was a fix. People don't like Italy because of the perception of cheating, so a lot of people thought it was just desserts for them, but it was a very interesting and unusual match. Maybe things were not fixed from the start, but then a 0-0 wasn't enough for either team anyway. It was an odd tiebreaker but as things stood they needed at least a 2-2 to be sure of both qualifying.

Both Swedish goals were somewhat curious, one came off a dubious penalty, the other (and final one that sent both teams through) occurred after the Danish goalkeeper dropped the ball right in front of a Swedish attacker.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The first goal by Denmark was a fantastic strike in the top corner. Nothing the goalie (or any goalie) could do.
The 1-1 came after a great Larsson move and an OBVIOUS penalty (nothing dubious about it really).
2-1 came after a corner, ball was cleared, a Dane player shot the ball and it deflected to a a danish player who put it in the net.
Last goal came after two guys JUMPED in front of a cross to prevent it, couldn't, the goalie jumped to prevent the easy tap-in and couldn't block the ball all right (in traffic and a tough grab really), which was punched in by a swede.

If ANY of those goals was scored against on purpose, these guys are the best players that ever lived.

People who claimed it was a fix are ridiculous.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Croatia have traditionally struggled against Greece (only one win in 5-6 meetings, 4 of them competitive matches) and their clubs fare even worse. Although it is a difficult draw, Croatian media also going overboard like we drew Germany/Spain

Denmark/Ireland is probably the closest tie on paper

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Only sure thing is Switzerland. Rest are pretty even or feature a team I don't trust to get results. Italy being one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->