2018 vs 2019 NHL Draft

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Most of the top talents for 2019 are in AAA or in U-16 jr's in Europe, with some of the elite one's possibly in U-18's. Trying to get any read on 2019 now is ridiculous. Some of the 2019 class late birthday's are in the CHL, but none jump to my mind as an elite player right now. I mean, I've heard talk Jack Hughes is the best player out of the GTHL since McDavid, but its still only AAA hockey.

The 2018 class looks quite deep, although some of the hype of the USNDP u-17's is starting to disappear which lowers the overall depth of the class.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think the 01s out west have more projectable nhl talent than the 00s, but that's all i've got as far as an opinion on the draft.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A bit to early to tell but 2019 looks strong in the West: Dach, Krebs, Barlage, Foote, Bilous, Byram, Mutala, Sakic, Gauthier. Plus a lot of kids in Prep programs.
Also Quebec looks strong too Parent, Poulin, Simoneau among others.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I'm being 100% sincere.

Oh.

Well, I have been trying my best to stream the games Dahlin and Svechnikov are involved in (streams are hard to come by). I also live not too far out where Merkley played in Mississauga as well. Having also heard the hype around Wise (now dying down but still somewhat there) and for me, that kind of depth can't be matched. I've seen a bit of Hughes and heard and watched some highlights of Parent (although, obviously not the greatest indicator of opinions for players so that's nothing special), but I don't see the same depth from what I have seen and heard when comparing 2018 and 2019.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Oh.

Well, I have been trying my best to stream the games Dahlin and Svechnikov are involved in (streams are hard to come by). I also live not too far out where Merkley played in Mississauga as well. Having also heard the hype around Wise (now dying down but still somewhat there) and for me, that kind of depth can't be matched. I've seen a bit of Hughes and heard and watched some highlights of Parent (although, obviously not the greatest indicator of opinions for players so that's nothing special), but I don't see the same depth from what I have seen and heard when comparing 2018 and 2019.

You're talking about depth and then you list all the top end guys. :help:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
2019 could be a weak year for Sweden. Haven't seen anyone who stands out a lot from the rest. Victor Söderström is a RHD who I think looks promising.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Is there some joy to be had for following prospects that are draft eligible in 3, 4, 5 years or even later? I know this is Hockeys Future, but gauging talent that is so far away seems like a waste of time for me, since a LOT can happen in that time period.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
That was exactly my point. Top end depth is extremely important to me.

Well you said the "pure depth" which would mean the draft as a whole has more depth.

That's probably why someone asked for clarification. We barely have a clear picture for the top 10 in these drafts and you seemed to be commenting on the top 30-60 lol

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Is there some joy to be had for following prospects that are draft eligible in 3, 4, 5 years or even later? I know this is Hockeys Future, but gauging talent that is so far away seems like a waste of time for me, since a LOT can happen in that time period.

Yes.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well you said the "pure depth" which would mean the draft as a whole has more depth.

That's probably why someone asked for clarification. We barely have a clear picture for the top 10 in these drafts and you seemed to be commenting on the top 30-60 lol

2018 is very deep. I see a few kids who I think will go late 2nd round that have high potential. I'll get you a solid list when I can get to my computer. Where I have my early 2018 rankings.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really just too early to know.

Two years out is when I think you can start getting a good read on any really high level players in a draft. Three years is just way too far out.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agree with this. I loosely pay attention if there is crazy hype for a kid coming out of something such as Mackinnon, McDavid, Veleno, Tavares, Ho-Sang, Day, etc. But trying to figure out a top 10 or even attempt to rank them in regards to NHL potential I find futile until all of the class is at least in Major Junior. I don't really think any decent list on 2018 can really be put togeather until the end of this season where the late birthdays will have started to stand out in major juniors, the early-birthdays will have had strong rookie years and potentially play in the U-18, the top internationals will have probably played in the U-17 challenge and the U-18's. 2019 is 18 months away from having any sort of quality read on.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agree with this. I loosely pay attention if there is crazy hype for a kid coming out of something such as Mackinnon, McDavid, Veleno, Tavares, Ho-Sang, Day, etc. But trying to figure out a top 10 or even attempt to rank them in regards to NHL potential I find futile until all of the class is at least in Major Junior. I don't really think any decent list on 2018 can really be put togeather until the end of this season where the late birthdays will have started to stand out in major juniors, the early-birthdays will have had strong rookie years and potentially play in the U-18, the top internationals will have probably played in the U-17 challenge and the U-18's. 2019 is 18 months away from having any sort of quality read on.

I enjoy keeping tabs on kids. Seeing who is doing well and how that translates into the next level. You could easily have a list of 2018 prospects by now. 2019 is impossible to predict at this point but it's nice to know names to keep an eye on. I do enjoy knowing the McDavid's and Veleno's of the world but I think it's just as interesting to keep on eye on the lower level guys.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think 2019 is looking slightly better. A lot more depth, but I don't think the top few players of 2019 will be as good as the top few players of 2018.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
2019 is going to have a stronger core of forwards I think. Very deep in that regard. A good mix of centers and wingers and big and small players. The defencemen crop of 2019 is looking very very below average. 2018 will blow it out of the water in that regard. There are a few smaller puck movers but no one that really screams franchise or top pairing defender. So all in all I'll say.

Centers - 2019 by a landslide
Wingers - Outside of Svechnikov 2019 looks deeper
Defencemen - 2018 is clear winner here
Goalies - To soon to tell but 2019 has some really interesting names

Overall depth - It will be pretty close by the end I think.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
2019 is going to have a stronger core of forwards I think. Very deep in that regard. A good mix of centers and wingers and big and small players. The defencemen crop of 2019 is looking very very below average. 2018 will blow it out of the water in that regard. There are a few smaller puck movers but no one that really screams franchise or top pairing defender. So all in all I'll say.

Centers - 2019 by a landslide
Wingers - Outside of Svechnikov 2019 looks deeper
Defencemen - 2018 is clear winner here
Goalies - To soon to tell but 2019 has some really interesting names

Overall depth - It will be pretty close by the end I think.
Byram is better than any D prospect in 2018 other than Dahlin and Knyazev is very good

Reactions: 99664987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad