OT: 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
We would have gotten Canada's group in the World Cup playing in our country. I believe that they were either looking at 16 groups of three teams each. There's 6 games (two per country), which would have left four games left. As host countries are put in the pot in the first group, it's unlikely we would have gotten a great team to watch like Spain or Germany. I don't think that's worth the money it would cost.

Unless you hosted the entire event in your country, I don't see the point in hosting. If you listen to the rumours, Morocco has the support of all the countries in Asia and Africa which would be more than enough to award them the games. For me, there's too much corruption surrounding the bid process for me to have any faith in a bid being judged fairly.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We would have gotten Canada's group in the World Cup playing in our country. I believe that they were either looking at 16 groups of three teams each. There's 6 games (two per country), which would have left four games left. As host countries are put in the pot in the first group, it's unlikely we would have gotten a great team to watch like Spain or Germany. I don't think that's worth the money it would cost.

Unless you hosted the entire event in your country, I don't see the point in hosting. If you listen to the rumours, Morocco has the support of all the countries in Asia and Africa which would be more than enough to award them the games. For me, there's too much corruption surrounding the bid process for me to have any faith in a bid being judged fairly.

I think your math is a bit off. If there are 16 groups of 3 nations, then there are only 3 games total per group. A plays B and C. Then B plays C. That’s your 3 games.

They only need 16 cities to host so it would be only 2 Canadian sites. Likely east and west. Then each gets a pair of knockout games before the quarters.

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
Are those who're legitimately upset about this forgetting that we're dealing with FIFA here? Ah, FIFA -- that shining, pristine bastion of good faith and absolutely zero corruption or credibility issues.

Sheesh.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
So apparently there were opt-out clauses till 2021 and a senior official with Canada Soccer compared the NDP to the Beverly Hillbillies:

In a separate report by Global News, a senior official with Canada Soccer, one of three national soccer federations involved in the United Bid Committee, expressed their frustration with the Vancouver bid debacle by saying “negotiating with the BC NDP is like negotiating with the Beverly Hillbillies.”

BC had opt out clauses until 2021 for FIFA World Cup in Vancouver

Sounds about right. f*** you NDP.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
I don't particularly support either major political party in this province. But this was a good decision. We don't need a bigger profile for one. We don't need to get jerked around by that corrupt organization either. All this hoopla for 3 games though, seriously? Goodness gracious. I would suggest a little more balance in your reactions. That would hardly boost our economy. It would just redirect a few dollars from somewhere else to people going to the games.

I went to Mexico vs. Canada World Cup qualifier last year. Good thing I accidently sat in the Mexico supporter section because the rest of the place was a library. Same with Seattle V Vancouver in the quarters last year. I had people telling me to sit down and shut up during the biggest game of the season. This city doesn't deserve world class football anyways. We wouldn't know what to do with it.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I think your math is a bit off. If there are 16 groups of 3 nations, then there are only 3 games total per group. A plays B and C. Then B plays C. That’s your 3 games.

They only need 16 cities to host so it would be only 2 Canadian sites. Likely east and west. Then each gets a pair of knockout games before the quarters.

Each team plays two games, but against each other (stupid me thought that was 6 games!). I'll blame my bad math on my lack of sleep last night.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I thought it was a good decision before I read the details about FIFA's terms and conditions. Now I'm really glad Vancouver is out as a potential host city. Kind of surprised NDP-haters are seizing upon this decision as an opportunity to bash them.

If, somehow, the tri-country bid wins, does that mean all of Canada, USA, and Mexico all have a spot in the World Cup? Frankly, I don't think we deserve it given that our average FIFA ranking is 80th. Mind you, I may be a bit pessimistic considering our current ranking of 90th is below our average.

Okay, so... what do we have to do to turn this thread back to a discussion about the Caps? It's hard, I know, given that Davies is unlikely to be part of VWFC when and if the World Cup is in Canada.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Would anyone like to change their tune? Hmm? @clunk @Rocko604

This is a pretty crap deal.

I actually started changing my tune when I saw that a couple days ago.

Chicago, Minneapolis and Arizona (Glendale) have since pulled out as well. If this 2021 opt out clause is true, however, then the NDP definitely deserves some flak for pulling out so soon.

Personally, I think with all these cities telling FIFA to pound sand, Morocco has this 99% locked up.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Blondell gets a start tonight, would be interesting to see what formation the Caps go with today. With Aja playing, they could have 5 at the back with Davies and Nerwinski as wingbacks, three in the middle with Felipe, Mutch and Juarez and Mezquida playing just behind Blondell.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Referee with a ridiculous decision there. The Atlanta player ran into Waston and goes down. Waston with a red card, penalty?

Whitecaps are going to lose the plot if they're not careful.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm going to the game this evening -- my first in a long while. I won't be able to get dinner before the game, so I'm stuck with stadium food. Recommendations? (Save an old man from heartburn!)

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Was back in town so went to the game. Two chances all game total for either side. Boateng should have scored for LA and Kamara did well to fashion a chance which by his reaction was saved (even though a goal kick was given).

Otherwise, it was a dull game. The Caps need to take advantage of teams with injuries and callups. I would call that two dropped points.

Don't know why Reyna was played as a CM, if he's not in an attacking role, he's useless. Would have preferred Mutch alongside Juarez instead from the start. Though if I had my way, we would have been playing a 4-4-2 from the start.

I would really like to see the Caps experiment with a 5-3-2 with Davies showing good hustle getting back and forward on that left hand side.

Nerwinski - Aja - Waston - Maund - Davies
Mutch - Felipe - Juarez
Kamara/Blondell - Reyna/Techera

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Was back in town so went to the game. Two chances all game total for either side. Boateng should have scored for LA and Kamara did well to fashion a chance which by his reaction was saved (even though a goal kick was given).

Otherwise, it was a dull game. The Caps need to take advantage of teams with injuries and callups. I would call that two dropped points.

Don't know why Reyna was played as a CM, if he's not in an attacking role, he's useless. Would have preferred Mutch alongside Juarez instead from the start. Though if I had my way, we would have been playing a 4-4-2 from the start.

I would really like to see the Caps experiment with a 5-3-2 with Davies showing good hustle getting back and forward on that left hand side.

Nerwinski - Aja - Waston - Maund - Davies
Mutch - Felipe - Juarez
Kamara/Blondell - Reyna/Techera

I pretty much agree that it was an unexciting game. The Whitecaps aren't very creative off the ball when they're in the attacking third. They're rather static, or they're making obvious runs to the box looking for a cross.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I pretty much agree that it was an unexciting game. The Whitecaps aren't very creative off the ball when they're in the attacking third. They're rather static, or they're making obvious runs to the box looking for a cross.

I couldn't count the number of times the defense had the ball and the midfielders and forwards didn't move. They were just waiting for the ball to be kicked than to take the initiative and make a run themselves.

Reactions: lindgren

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I missed most of the game (saw the goal for Columbus and saw Kamara's winner) so I didn't see the goal they took away from Davies until just now. Having seen it, I can't believe they reversed it. Yes, the ball hits his hand, but the only punishable offense for handball is a deliberate handball. Davies doesn't have his arm in an unnatural position and wasn't an obvious error in my opinion. I can't believe they took that away.

But yes, Zlatan's first goal was pretty awesome.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I missed most of the game (saw the goal for Columbus and saw Kamara's winner) so I didn't see the goal they took away from Davies until just now. Having seen it, I can't believe they reversed it. Yes, the ball hits his hand, but the only punishable offense for handball is a deliberate handball. Davies doesn't have his arm in an unnatural position and wasn't an obvious error in my opinion. I can't believe they took that away.

But yes, Zlatan's first goal was pretty awesome.

The handball call was definitely iffy, but it does look like Davies, umm, maneuvered his hand ever so slightly as to ensure a favourable bounce. I can see why it went in favour of the Crew. Not that I agree with the call, but it's nowhere near the level of ineptitude of Waston's red card. Then again, I'm probably in a more charitable mood since the Caps won in the end. Absolutely love Kamara telling everyone to check the effen' replay after his beauty header.

Can't help but wonder what the Caps already impressive record might look like if not for that brutal call against Waston.

As for Zlatan... hasn't he scored in his debut with every pro team he's been with? Or something like that?

Very impressive... almost as impressive as Pouliot's NHL record for GWGs ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad