Blue Jays GDT: 2018 v3| Next: Wed, Sept 5| vs TB| 7pm ET/4pm PT | Glasnow vs Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Was not expecting Clippard to stink out the joint. Sanchez looked bad with control issues despite the 0 ER, yet we might lose. Seems like when either the bullpen or starting pitcher is on lately, the other is off.

I've been expecting this for weeks. The good end results have belied some extreme luck and bad process. Every time he's taken the mound it's been heart-in-my-throat time.

Reactions: Maplebeasts

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I was shaking my head on that flyball just hoping that Granderson wouldn’t tag up.

I am disappointed.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'll take your word for it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around advanced stats in baseball.

It hasn't even been advanced stats. Just watching him pitch has scared me. He's all over the place and has had a lot of mistake pitches that luckily get fouled off or missed.

If we're going to inject one sorta-advanced stat, he has a .185 opposing batting average on balls in play (ie discounting ABs with strikeouts or HRs, so we're only looking at struck balls that have to be fielded by defenders). It's a stat that has traditionally shown that it's not controllable for most pitchers. And the league average is usually around .300. So what Clippard's .185 means is that he's gotten super lucky with a lot of struck balls of his finding fielders' gloves more often than they probably should given how much contact he's given up.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It hasn't even been advanced stats. Just watching him pitch has scared me. He's all over the place and has had a lot of mistake pitches that luckily get fouled off or missed.

If we're going to inject one sorta-advanced stat, he has a .185 opposing batting average on balls in play (ie discounting ABs with strikeouts or HRs, so we're only looking at struck balls that have to be fielded by defenders). It's a stat that has traditionally shown that it's not controllable for most pitchers. And the league average is usually around .300. So what Clippard's .185 means is that he's gotten super lucky with a lot of struck balls of his finding fielders' gloves more often than they probably should given how much contact he's given up.
I see what you mean. He certainly has left a ton of hangers whenever I've watched this year. The BABIP is also concerning. I've only been paying attention to the Blue Jays since late 2016, so I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’m pissed that Osuna was stupid enough to ruin his own life, violently impact a woman’s life, and screw over an entire organization.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I see what you mean. He certainly has left a ton of hangers whenever I've watched this year. The BABIP is also concerning. I've only been paying attention to the Blue Jays since late 2016, so I'm still trying to figure it all out.

If you ever want an analytics crash course, let me know and I can do my best to help you decipher things.

Reactions: Maplebeasts

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I won’t deny that Clippard was due for a meltdown. His tendency to walk way too many batters and hang pitches isn’t a recipe for success. But given that I’ve been supporting him for years, I feel semi-responsible to make a half-assed attempt at defending him, at least when it comes to defending him.

A part of Clippards BABIP being so low is that he is an extreme fly ball pitcher (fly balls have a much lower chance of dropping in for a hit than a grounder does finding a hole) who generates plenty of strikeouts. The majority of his outs are in the air or by the way of the strikeout, thus leaving little room for grounders that might find a hole Kansas City style.

I have not yet taken a look at his batted ball statistics and will likely do so tomorrow to determine if I’m completely wrong or not with this one.

My biggest concern with Clippard is obviously his walk issue followed by his unsustainable LOB% that I believe was at 100% before the grand slam against Oakland the other day.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Clippard warming up...

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad