U18: 2018 U18 WJC Gold Medal game Finland vs USA game talk.

Which team wins U18 Gold today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Interesting that this really is a pretty weak age group for finland that got bopped throughout u16s and u17s and it still wins u18 worlds. And undefeated.

This is indeed something worth learning from. One amazing learning and growing curve.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
What is this I don't even, normally it's Finland who misses a wide open goal in a critical last minute chance. Great tournament and great crowds, kudos to the organisers.

Reactions: Frannel

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
What is this I don't know even, normally it's Finland who misses a wide open goal in a critical last minute chance.

Yeah. That's my impression too.

Things are changing. The Depth of Team Finland is going to be great to the short-to-middle terms in a future, hinting also likely successful change of top torch holder rosters (take or leave success in this or that tournament in a couple of next years).

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Kupari was by far the best Finnish player. 1+1 and generated plethora of scoring chances with his own skill. Was a good game for his draft ranking.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Interesting that this really is a pretty weak age group for finland that got bopped throughout u16s and u17s and it still wins u18 worlds. And undefeated.
Niemelä seems like a really good coach too. But I guess it still has to do with the fact that things done as U16 or even U17 age don’t matter too much, as kids develop so differently from that age to even U20 age.

I think this age group has also pretty darn good mental strength, which has made them get good development during their last two years. After all a very good group when you think that two of the better players of the team were even the youngest players in the whole team. And there are still great players coming from younger Finnish age groups too, so the future of Finnish hockey is still looking as bright as ever!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mestaruus

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
YES we ( Finland) are the champions.
What a thriller but still very entertaining and exciting gold medal game which could have gone other way.

USA didn't give up being down 2-1 they fight hard and did everything to win this game.
When USA tied the game 2-2 i was sure USA will win but now i'm happy to being so wrong as possible.

Wahlström had chance to be a hero and tie the game 3-3 but he couldn't do that.
It's understandable Wahlström and entire team USA are sad and disappointed now but that happens.
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose this is hockey.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Or let 1 in
Not really. When did something like that even happen to Finland the last time? It is more like an ancient myth that some Finns seem to persistently keep alive, even when those kind of things haven’t even really happened anymore.

Ok, in 2016 U20 final Russia did tie the game at the last seconds, but as Finland still controlled the game and won it in the overtime, I find it hard to count that occasion as a meaningful meltdown.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Kupari was by far the best Finnish player. 1+1 and generated plethora of scoring chances with his own skill. Was a good game for his draft ranking.
Definitely not the best Finn - not in that gold medal game, and not in the whole tournament. Not even close.

Of course if they would get awards for who skates the fastest and buzzes around the most without producing, then he would be getting the main award. He sure has speed, but unfortunately I don’t see that much of the skill.

That I do admit though that he played a pretty good game today, although again wasting great chances too much, and his goal was not scored by any skill, but pure luck. But his skating can still be very good and helpful for his team, as it can cause some chaos for the opponent, even how unefficient it usually is for scoring goals.

The best Finns today and even in the whole tournament for sure were Annunen, Nordgren, Kakko, Kotkaniemi and Utunen. Kupari was not in that class, although he was still useful and he can bring good elements with his skating. I just hope he can get his hockey IQ and scoring skills to the level of his skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad