2018 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (Fredericton, NB)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Alberta and U of S back at Nationals again.
U of S score in the last minute to pull out the win 3-1 over the Dino's in the third and deciding game. Bears win two straight over Mount Royal.
CanadaWest final will be basically for seeding purposes, all games at Claire Drake.
Huskies and Bears qualify for Nationals without playing a single road game.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Brock punches their ticket with a 3-2 win over York. They'll be #3 or #4 seed depending on next week's Queens cup against winner of Concordia/McGill.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Brock punches their ticket with a 3-2 win over York. They'll be #3 or #4 seed depending on next week's Queens cup against winner of Concordia/McGill.

It’ll be nice to see at least one new team this year. Personally have never seen Brock play.

I believe the last time they were there was in 2008.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Alberta is in. 2nd or 1st seed depending on UNB-SFX series. Possible they will leapfrog UNB in this weeks rankings. UofS will seed 5 or 6.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Do ya think Windsor could give up 28 shots against UNB, UofA or SFX with the same result?
No, I do not believe Windsor could, as those schools mentioned have more natural scorers than teams Brock has played in Playoffs (Laurier/Guelph (might be exception) and York)

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta has a FAR better team than each of the last two seasons when they were eliminated in the Quarter-Final Round under Serge Lajoie after Ian Herbers (now with the Oilers) led the Bears to back-to-back National Championships in 2014 and 2015.
The Bears have a deep set of skilled forwards, 4 right D that can move the puck and 2 good goalies.
That said, they are too emotional and NOT disciplined enough!
The Magee incident against the Huskies illustrated that point.
Up 5-0, after winning 5-2 on Friday, why would any player get engaged the way Magee did.
He isn't the only smaller Bears player that gets involved in that crap.
Alberta is also a notorious slow starter.
Given that the Bears will open ve AUS #3 I could easily see another Quarter-Final loss if the Bears aren't ready to play and aren't prepared to pay the price and stay out of the after the whistle stuff!

as for Cooke...I believe Saskatchewan will have to ride Taran Kozun in Fredericton and could easily see the Huskies winning their opening game against the OUA Champ!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I said right from the beginning of the year that Alberta is the favorite this season. But if they have to play one of those Thursday afternoon games again, you never know what might happen.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Tuesday's Poll is not the final one of the season - there is a poll next weekend that the tournament committee will use for seeding once the OUA & AUS games are done.

Tonight's AUS games will likely not be considered in tomorrow's Poll as the results are generally tabulated on Monday for publishing on Tuesday.

UNB had nine(9) first place votes last week vs ALB's five(6) - despite a strong weekend by ALB, I don't think 2 voters are going to leave when the #1 team was dormant - probably wait and see what happens at the AUS finals first.

If they do drop to #2, an AUS sweep could get them back to #1.

The only way ALB and UNB are on the same side of the draw is if UNB loses.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The only way I see UNB winning the AUS and not going in #1 is if they win in 3...but even then it may not be enough. A sweep no matter the scores should keep them in the top spot.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
If UNB wins (the AUS), ALB and UNB are on different sides which means they play on different days which bodes well for ALB playing at night rather than the afternoon. The two games on that day are ALB's vs ACD/SMU while #6 SFX vs OUA Champ so the committee may choose to have SFX at night over ACD/SMU which would push ALB to the afternoon.

If UNB loses, ALB and UNB would likely be on the same side (UNB #5) and play on the same day which means an afternoon draw for ALB.

If you're ALB - you're pulling for UNB to win.

--
A UNB win means playing OUA bronze in game 1 which is the winner of York/Concordia - I have to think this is York which is a tough opponent.
A UNB loss means playing the OUA runner-up in game 1 which is the loser of McGill and Brock which is likely Brock, a much easier game.

Despite an easy first round opponent in Brock, I think you want to avoid ALB in the Semis and would rather see if ALB can get by two potential AUS teams on the road to the final.

Note: UNB has never defeated ALB in the finals (0-3) but is 4-0 in preliminary games.

--
If USK is seeded #5 - we can get East/West semis (UNB vs USK & SFX vs ALB).
If SFX is seeded #5 - we can get rematch semis (UNB vs SFX & ALB vs USK)

Definitely pulling for the East/West

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Concordia is a skilled team, but lacks discipline on the defensive side of the puck. They're a much more dangerous opponent than York, because if they get the goaltending (as they did in G1 vs, McGill), they have enough skill to bury a couple of quick ones and produce an upset. AUS and CW teams should be much more wary of facing Concordia than York.

McGill should bury Brock on the shot clock this weekend - earlier in the season shots were 52-23 for McGill in a 3-2 Win - but we all know what hot goalie can do in one game.

McGill is the only OUA team truly capable of winning the UCup this year. They have the depth, the high-end skill, and, of course, the coaching with Kelly Nobes. They will be a formidable opponent.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If UNB wins (the AUS), ALB and UNB are on different sides which means they play on different days which bodes well for ALB playing at night rather than the afternoon. The two games on that day are ALB's vs ACD/SMU while #6 SFX vs OUA Champ so the committee may choose to have SFX at night over ACD/SMU which would push ALB to the afternoon.

If UNB loses, ALB and UNB would likely be on the same side (UNB #5) and play on the same day which means an afternoon draw for ALB.

If you're ALB - you're pulling for UNB to win.

--
A UNB win means playing OUA bronze in game 1 which is the winner of York/Concordia - I have to think this is York which is a tough opponent.
A UNB loss means playing the OUA runner-up in game 1 which is the loser of McGill and Brock which is likely Brock, a much easier game.

Despite an easy first round opponent in Brock, I think you want to avoid ALB in the Semis and would rather see if ALB can get by two potential AUS teams on the road to the final.

Note: UNB has never defeated ALB in the finals (0-3) but is 4-0 in preliminary games.

--
If USK is seeded #5 - we can get East/West semis (UNB vs USK & SFX vs ALB).
If SFX is seeded #5 - we can get rematch semis (UNB vs SFX & ALB vs USK)

Definitely pulling for the East/West

IMO it is pretty likely if X loses the AUS they will get slotted at #6 behind #5 Saskatchewan as they are ranked behind them now in the top 10. Plus that would avoid the top two AUS and CW teams from being in the same bracket, which I assume is the more ideal scenario.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Officiating tonight in Fredericton was really poor. After UNB went up 3-0 a blatant trip on Caissy and a swinging stick to Clapperton's neck were ignored. However, the laughable "Embellishment Call"? on Brace, I think it was, had to have been one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I'm glad the outcome wasn't in doubt at that time.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
If it hadn't been a Playoff game just before Nationals, there is a very good chance last night's game would have really broken out, with that level of officiating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad