2018 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (Fredericton, NB)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
If Lethbridge host 2019 Nationals.
They would most likely open against an AUS opponent, in which would be 1 of the two teams that will play for the AUS championship. That's reality, so they will need to improve to have a legitimate shot at advancing to Saturdays semi's. Can't see them in next years CanadaWest final, which will put them in the 7-8 seeding position. Opening Friday night vs Thursday would be wise!

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
If Lethbridge host 2019 Nationals.
They would most likely open against an AUS opponent, in which would be 1 of the two teams that will play for the AUS championship. That's reality, so they will need to improve to have a legitimate shot at advancing to Saturdays semi's. Can't see them in next years CanadaWest final, which will put them in the 7-8 seeding position. Opening Friday night vs Thursday would be wise![/QUOT

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Agree with you, therefore Jan 19 buffer is key for Leithbridge to host nationals however I’ve been told notification email went out And it’s down to Acadia/Leithbridge which make sense and doesn’t at same time. (Financial makes sense for Leithbridge/doesn’t make sense as team not competitive enough)

Would Leithbridge even rank in top 20 Teams in Men’s Usport Hockey this year

However, potential growth of Usports Hockey might benefit Leithbridge bid

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
4 games to start the 2nd half are against UofS and MRU. They lost to these teams in the 1st half. I don't need to see these games to know they are not very good. I realize that the hosting is a year from now and that may help recruiting.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
If I had vote, I go with Acadia in 2019 and 2020 for Leithbridge- reasons for Leithbridge in 2020 is two year buffer to recruit elite student athletes

I think push back till Jan 19 is to see what Leithbridge does on ice

As previously mentioned, there is the possibility of Halifax getting Memorial Cup in 2019 which would severely impact sponsorship money for U-Cup.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I don't mind seeing a weak team host the nationals. IMO the host is an illegitimate participant anyhow. If they get whipped by the #1 seed from outside their conference, fine.

Fact is, the AUS, Thunder Bay, Edmonton, and Saskatoon are the only places that could guarantee crowds. The rest are a gamble.

So why not try to spread the U brand?

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
I understand your logic however weak team that is rank 4 or 5th in their own conference will only hurt UCup from USport/Hockey standpoint.

I agree 100% with crowd comment

If it’s financial only decision choose highest bidder and move on regardless of team record

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I don't mind seeing a weak team host the nationals. IMO the host is an illegitimate participant anyhow. If they get whipped by the #1 seed from outside their conference, fine.

Fact is, the AUS, Thunder Bay, Edmonton, and Saskatoon are the only places that could guarantee crowds. The rest are a gamble.

I'm okay if they chose a weaker host as long as it is just for one year.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007

I 100% agree with Hollywood, The Host doesn't have to be a superior team. If they are bad, the 1st round isnt broadcast on National TV so no harm done. On the Other hand I would argue that a team such as Lethbridge, Regina, Dalhousie and Moncton would give one of the OUA division winners a very competitive game.

Of course the Canada West Conference would also feature 3 teams in total, so good draws could come from as close as Alberta, Calgary, MRU.

I feel that making an effort to spread this tournament around once in a while strengthens the league, not weakens it. its a chance to possibly make Lethbridges program stronger and attract much needed new CIS Hockey fans. I find hockey fans who have never seen a CIS game live, usually downplay it as a beer league or irrelevant. Once they see it live they understand its not like that. I still have friends in Fredericton, that have never been to a UNB game, but are huge hockey fans and dont give it a chance. they'd rather travel to see the Wildcats or Sea Dogs.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
The Only Bad scenario that can happen, would be a empty looking crowd for a National Final on TV, but that could happen to other host as well not just Lethbridge. Their arena seats 5,479 that wont be hard to make it look at least fairly full. at worst case if its an all OUA and/or AUS final, donate the game tickets to local, schools, minor hockey teams

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Holly, has there been any talk or interest in Manitoba hosting this event. If Sask and Edmonton can host, why not the Bisons, in the peg??
None. It could happen if the University and Jets get together on it. Maybe as a trial for a World Junior.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
On the Other hand I would argue that a team such as Lethbridge, Regina, Dalhousie and Moncton would give one of the OUA division winners a very competitive game.

I think you are underrating the top OUA teams here. I think the top OUA teams can compete with the other top programs, but unfortunately we don't always get to see the truly best OUA teams at the UCup due to the nature of their conference playoffs (2 out of 3) producing upsets.

The OUA-west leading Ryerson - with Dupuis in net - just showed that they can hang with UNB for long stretches. I don't think I would put them on the same level as UNB/St. FX, but they are closer to those two than UPEI/Moncton/Dalhousie IMO. They are probably pretty comparable to SMU/Acadia.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Those who propose Acadia 2019 are forgetting the possibility of the Memorial Cup in Halifax. That would be a blow to sponsorship for the U-Cup.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I am sure all the schools involved would appreciate knowing ASAP. At this point the school that gets it won’t have much more than a year to put everything together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad